Pre-Contacted Windows ??

I've been asking this for years...since I did my first Pella lying on a dusty floor for hours trying to carefully drill awning windows.

Even pre-drilled would be fine!

Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this way...but this hardly ever happens in real life.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®
Loading thread data ...

The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing alarm contacts. js

Reply to
alarman

ok...fergit the contacts...I'd gladly pay for just the holes. There'd be no liability for them that way and they'd get a few extra bucks for a hole!

What house that can afford these kind of expensive windows doesn't have an alarm anyway? It's a no-brainer add-on!

| > Even pre-drilled would be fine! | >

| > Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the | > construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and | > I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this | > way...but this hardly ever happens in real life. | >

| >

| >> Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today | >> and what are your thougthts on the subject? | >>

| >> BobbyD | | The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing alarm | contacts. | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Crash recently made an inquiry about "Why don't window manufacturer's make pre-contacted windows." My question would be - With today's homeowners asking more technology and better insulated and sealed windows, why don't the manufacturer's come out with some options for ordering windows with preinstalled alarm contacts?

Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today and what are your thougthts on the subject?

BobbyD

Reply to
bdolph

Hi Bob,

None that I'm aware of do this. There's no incentive for them to spend money altering their manufacturing process, buying contacts, etc. It's much easier for them to simply include a fine print note that the warranty is void if you drill a hole.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Maybe they want installers to screw them up while drilling the sensors so you'd have to buy more windows? :)

Even pre-drilled would be fine!

Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this way...but this hardly ever happens in real life.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You have to understand, window manufacturers are like artists, they don't want to spoil the pretty windows with some useless (to them) holes.

It's like colorizing Citizen Kane

What house that can afford these kind of expensive windows doesn't have an alarm anyway? It's a no-brainer add-on!

| > Even pre-drilled would be fine! | >

| > Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the | > construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and | > I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this | > way...but this hardly ever happens in real life. | >

| >

| >> Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today | >> and what are your thougthts on the subject? | >>

| >> BobbyD | | The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing alarm | contacts. | js | |

Reply to
Mark Leuck

ah, yes I see I see...so if I wanted to order paisley windows they wouldn't let me either right?

| | > Even pre-drilled would be fine! | | >

| | > Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the | | > construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and | | > I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this | | > way...but this hardly ever happens in real life. | | >

| | >

| | >> Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today | | >> and what are your thougthts on the subject? | | >>

| | >> BobbyD | | | | The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing alarm | | contacts. | | js | | | | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Exactly, if it ruins the "flow" of the window then it's out

| | > Even pre-drilled would be fine! | | >

| | > Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the | | > construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped and | | > I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this | | > way...but this hardly ever happens in real life. | | >

| | >

| | >> Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today | | >> and what are your thougthts on the subject? | | >>

| | >> BobbyD | | | | The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing alarm | | contacts. | | js | | | | | | |

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Pellas already have window screens...and besides you'd still have to drill holes int he window frame for alarm screens.

| >

| > | | > Even pre-drilled would be fine! | > | | >

| > | | > Every now and then I will get lucky and be able to get to the | > | | > construction site the day the windows are delivered and unwrapped | > and | > | | > I can drill them outside the window frame...much easier/cleaner this | > | | > way...but this hardly ever happens in real life. | > | | >

| > | | >

| > | | >> Do any window manufacturers or third party companies do this today | > | | >> and what are your thougthts on the subject? | > | | >>

| > | | >> BobbyD | > | | | > | | The probably don't want the liability they would incur by providing | > alarm | > | | contacts. | > | | js | > | | | > | | | > | | > | | > | | >

| > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Or do as I did, get security screens, doesnt void window warranty, but cost is some extreme.

TJ

Reply to
mail

With the wood casements the screens mount on the inside. You could have the screens made with the lead exiting the face of the frame, which would make it unnecessary to drill the window frame at all. Not as clean, but if the lead goes up no one will ever see it. This also makes it much easier for the homeowner/window washer to R and R the screens. js

Reply to
alarman

True, but neither Pella nor TTBOMK any of the others tries to void the warranty if you drill the frame. Their only concern is that you not drill the sash. We've installed alarm screens on thousands of Anderson, Pella and other windows over the years and have never had a problem over it. Then again, I don't recall anyone ever needing warranty service on their windows. None of my clients ever said they'd had a problem. YMMV.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I doubt that any of these clients would want to see a wire at all. When you're spending 60K- 100K for overpriced windows...well you know the scene. I guess I'll just keep voiding warrantees.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I've never had an issue either...it's just nerve wracking...I've only broken 2 in all the years I've been doing them...and it still hurts.

| Bass Home Electronics | 2291 Pine View Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34231 | 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support |

formatting link
| =============================> | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I know what you mean. It can be done neatly though, and I have never had a complaint. js

Reply to
alarman

I prefer slotted connections. These are on the edge of the screen and are virtually invisible to someone on the outside. That makes them a bit more secure. It also enhances WAF.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.