Paradox Esprit fails to activate alarm siren in 3 Zones

We have an 8-year old Paradox Esprit alarm system with a 626 keypad. The manual for this system is here:

formatting link
We have 7 zones: Numbers 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 are in different rooms in the house, Zone 3 is the smoke alarm, and Zone 4 hasn't been allocated to anything.

At the moment, the alarm sets OK, and if you walk through ANY of Zones 1, 2,

5, 6, and 7, the movement is detected and a preliminary 30 second warning whistle is sounded INSIDE the house. After this warning whistle stops, a very loud siren OUTSIDE the house is supposed to sound.

Although the outside siren sounds after you have walked through Zones 5 or

7, it fails to sound if you walk through Zones 1, 2, or 6.

I rang my alarm company who said there is probably a programming fault. Can anyone suggest what the programming steps may be to get Zones 1, 2, and 6 to activate the outside siren?

Thanks very much for your help.

Joe

Reply to
Joe H
Loading thread data ...

It sounds as if you may have those zones mis programmed as "silent" zones. This is easily rectified by your alarmco after entering installer programming. They may be able to correct that remotely by dialing into your panel.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link
(temporarily relocated in Florida)

Joe H wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

Thanks "tourman" for this explanation. Do you think this job would require an alarmco to do the work, would it be beyond me as the owner to alter these zones from "silent"? Are there not any commands I could try myself to fix this problem?

Regards, Joe

formatting link
>

Reply to
Joe H

If you are monitored by your alarm company they would be nuts to allow you to even try to reprogram it...let them do it. If you are not monitored you still may want them to check the programming. This type of programming is not end-user stuff.

| > R.H.Campbell | > Home Security Metal Products | >

formatting link
| > (temporarily relocated in Florida) | >

| >

| > Joe H wrote: | >> We have an 8-year old Paradox Esprit alarm system with a 626 keypad. The | >> manual for this system is here: | >>

| >>

formatting link
| >>

| >> We have 7 zones: Numbers 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 are in different rooms in the | >> house, Zone 3 is the smoke alarm, and Zone 4 hasn't been allocated to | >> anything. | >>

| >> At the moment, the alarm sets OK, and if you walk through ANY of Zones

1, | >> 2, | >> 5, 6, and 7, the movement is detected and a preliminary 30 second warning | >> whistle is sounded INSIDE the house. After this warning whistle stops, a | >> very loud siren OUTSIDE the house is supposed to sound. | >>

| >> Although the outside siren sounds after you have walked through Zones 5 | >> or | >> 7, it fails to sound if you walk through Zones 1, 2, or 6. | >>

| >> I rang my alarm company who said there is probably a programming fault. | >> Can | >> anyone suggest what the programming steps may be to get Zones 1, 2, and

6 | >> to | >> activate the outside siren? | >>

| >> Thanks very much for your help. | >>

| >> Joe | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks Crash, I just thought there might be a relatively simple series of commands that a competent computer user might be able to follow without too much difficulty? The alarm is not monitored, so there is no problem in that regard. I suppose for security reasons the alarm companies don't want end users to know how to reprogramme alarms. It's a pity there isn't a button you can press that restores the system back to its default settings! I'm pretty sure that if I had a manual of all the commands I could get it going again!

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe H

This programming is NOT something you should even consider trying without the right chip version of the programming sheets. If you are not monitored, you are on your own in regards to this however.It is a simple thing to default to factory (unless it's locked), and with the proper sheets, to reprogram (just a bit harder)

Panels are not primarily designed for the end user. They are targeted at alarmco's.

As I remember, turn "off" the lights in section 212 for zones you dont want "silent"

The easiest solution would probably be to have your alarmco dial in and make the necessary changes (assuming your panel is on line properly)

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link
Seagrove Gardens, Florida

Joe H wrote:

Reply to
tourman

I'm not saying you can't do it, but it'd be better to let someone who knows the system do it. Alarm lingo is like learning second language and some programming may relate to other programming entrys that you may not realize. Yes, you probably could default the panel...but then what? Do you know how the panel is zoned/wired? You'd have to reprogram the entire thing from scratch...might take you days to it all over again.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The moron in Sara's Sota will teach you everything you need to know in about two hours on the phone. He's even an "expert" on Paradox (and biased because he sells it). ;-)

Good point. Call a local alarm company and have them come in to service the system (best choice is the installing dealer). You may have to pay them a premium if the system's not monitored.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks Crash, I'm surprised that the job could take me days to get the alarm programmed to my requirements! But in the instructions, Paradox Esprit alarms do in fact generously tell you how to program some things. For example, to alter the time, you punch in: ENTER + MASTER CODE + MEM + TIME + ENTER + CLEAR. Users are also able to punch in commands to create or delete user codes and to use manual bypass arming.

Now it's very easy to do these things as you would expect, it's not much harder than programming your wrist watch. So all I want to do is to reactivate the sounding of the outside alarm feature in 3 of the zones that are not currently working. I thought a series of commands similar to that for setting the time would be available. But users are not given an installation manual and so have to pay an alarm company $100 per hour plus a call out fee of $60 if they want to have any programming done that is not in the manual available to users.

Can anyone tell me why the installation manuals are not on internet and are not available from the alarm companies? What is so difficult about setting up an alarm system to people who are familiar with computers and have a reasonable IQ?

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe H

I'd take that bet. Program an Esprit from default with no other training! Good luck with that.

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Piece of cake. I have numerous DIY clients who have programmed much more advanced panels. This isn't rocket science.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I hope it's carrot. I love carrot cake... and a nice cup of Brazilian bean...

Some even "work" at "Boeing"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.