One For Nick

I was ordering some horn strobe yesterday for a fire system and the guy at the distributor told me he has guys buying them for burg sounders. GAH!!!

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Canadian buyer? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

diy mail order.

Reply to
rabbid

The only advantage I can think of, is the low current draw. I'd think the price would be pretty much the same for a burg strobe/horn.

Maybe it was started by a DIY'er who got it at 30% above dealer price from an on line store.

Reply to
Jim

or at worst sued by someone who thought there was a fire alarm when there wasn't and got burned in a fire.

Reply to
rabbid

I suspect you're right. I always wondered about cameras disguised as smoke detectors.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

NYFD actually went after camera stores in NY about those spy smoke cameras and made them pull them all off the shelf until they were made functional as smokes. as well as spy camera

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

I believe it. That was small potatoes compared to what the FBI did to a bunch of distributors a few years ago. Remember when they raided the warehouses and confiscated thousands of cameras with microphones in them?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

When you come down to it, almost every alarm installer carries a lineman's butt set (calm down, Norm; it's not *that* kind of butt) with a monitor switch. Technically speaking that could be considered phone tapping hardware. Also, the commonly used tone set pickup is an inductive amplifier that will pick up a conversation without even touching the wire. If the feds really wanted to I suppose they could raid every tech's toolkit.

The thing is they're so busy illegally monitoring the phone conversations of ordinary Americans these days that I doubt they have time for trivial pursuits like law enforcement.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The thing is that there are legal uses for telephone recorders. The same as there are legal uses for audio recording equipment paired with video in public places.

The problem is that there are tons of folks who don't care about legal uses. For instance I have walked into hotle lobbies and gas stationsw and a few other places to easily (in the trade) identify audio recording devices, and yet none of the entrancesor any other place is labeled that audio recording is in operation.

I have installed audio recording devices legally with proper labelling, and I have told clients to get somebody else when they didn't want to do it legally.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

We sell audio recording equipment for use in police department interrogation rooms, sleep study offices and a number of other purposes. I've had perhaps

2 or 3 inquiries a year from people wanting to use the technology for questionable purposes. I tell them the same thing -- find another supplier.

We also get occasional calls from people wanting to use the hardware for lawful purposes but where it's not the best approach. One client asked about monitoring audio in a room where an elderly parent sleeps. He wanted to be alerted if his father got out of bed at night because he might wander or get hurt. I suggested he use a Voice Alert motion detector system instead. That worked out well, saved him some money and avoided legal issues though I doubt he'd have had any problems with the intended use.

BTW, it you have customer with elder-care needs, the VA6000 motion system can be useful. Place a detector low on the wall so it alerts the homeowner when Dad gets out of bed. I've had other customers who care for children with developmental problems use the system. It's a little too sensitive for use as an alarm sensor but for caregiver notification it's very effective.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

bullbass. u have no idea what the stuff ADI dropshipped for u is used for. u prob sell to terrorist and would never know or care, as long as the credit card was good. u are a moron and a security problem for the rest of us honest people. that's why that stuff is supposed to go through honest, licensed dealers, so it can't fall into the wrong hands. but u found a loophole in FL law. just to make a buck whatta schmuck.

Reply to
rabbid

Burglars and intruders think the building is on fire and leave immediately. Works great.

Reply to
Ron Ronco

Probably so but I imagine the fire marshal wouldn't be too happy about it if they get a call from a neighbor saying there's a fire alarm sounding.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I could only imagine how many fines would rack up for pulling that stunt. Sounding a fire alarm device when the is no fire, or better yet, no fire alarm system. What company does this?

Reply to
Roland More

I was in a tire store a few weeks ago that had a fire sounder for the telephone ringer.

Reply to
Rick

not just sounder but strobe flashing too!

Reply to
Rick

It was probably only being used for REEEEEEALY improtant phone calls.

Reply to
Jim

It was probably on their "hotline."

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.