On a search

Hello all,

I am hearing that the 2013 NFPA 72 is saying that two "different" communication are now required. As I understand the wordage, that I have yet to actually read, it means the word "different" applies to a POTS line and a Wireless Network.

So I thought I would do a little research by asking here.

Does anyone know of a Combo Commercial Fire/Burg panel that provides the feature of having two different forms of communication. Meaning having a built in dialer and GSM module or similar.

Thanks for any input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Have not heard that one but the honeywell vista 32 , 128 250 FB FBP and FBPT can do land line and have a UL fire cellular and or internet /cellular communicator attached.

Reply to
NickMark

Thanks Nick, but that would be an add on like Uplink or Tellular. I was thing more like a GSM as I said. I don't think any mfg. makes one just yet, that is why I was asking, since I am sometimes wrong.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... > On Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:07:

28 PM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote: >> Hello all, >> >> >> >> I am hearing that the 2 013 NFPA 72 is saying that two "different" >> >> communication are now requ ired. As I understand the wordage, that I have >> >> yet to actually read, it means the word "different" applies to a POTS >> line >> >> and a Wireles s Network. >> >> >> >> So I thought I would do a little research by asking here. >> >> >> >> Does anyone know of a Combo Commercial Fire/Burg panel th at provides the >> >> feature of having two different forms of communicatio n. Meaning having a >> >> built in dialer and GSM module or similar. >> >>

the honeywell vista 32 , 128 250 FB FBP and > FBPT can do land line and ha ve a UL fire cellular and or internet > /cellular communicator attached. Th anks Nick, but that would be an add on like Uplink or Tellular. I was thing more like a GSM as I said. I don't think any mfg. makes one just yet, that is why I was asking, since I am sometimes wrong. Les

I think your wife would disagree.

Reply to
Jim

I think your wife would disagree.

You have no idea. But she is still my wife.

Reply to
ABLE1

Honeywell has the 20IP with IP built in and you add antenna for GSM but it is not UL commercial fire I imagine they will be making them sooner or later as land lines fade away

Reply to
NickMark

I've used both the Edwards, Mircom and Notifier UDACTs (two line diallers) with some success. The second channel goes through a DSC GSM unit which you can either loop back to the primary phone line or just leave disconnected. The DSC unit provides a dialtone which will prevent the second channel from going into line fault trouble in either case. Both channels will transmit full system status as long as you've programmed them to report in CID.

On a side note, there's been some problems with the GSM-3060's dropping off the network (so I've heard). We've got about 200 of them in the field and, so far, we've had no issues.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kurz

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:08:05 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote: I've used both the Edwards, Mircom and Notifier UDACTs (two line diallers) with some success. The second channel goes through a DSC GSM unit which yo u can either loop back to the primary phone line or just leave disconnected . The DSC unit provides a dialtone which will prevent the second channel fr om going into line fault trouble in either case. Both channels will transmi t full system status as long as you've programmed them to report in CID. On a side note, there's been some problems with the GSM-3060's dropping off t he network (so I've heard). We've got about 200 of them in the field and, s o far, we've had no issues. Frank -- Fire Protection Technicians Network ww w.firetechs.net

Sommmmme Daaaaay ...... DSC may be able to finally get it right.

I had that problem years ago with one of their cellular devices. That's whe n they first came up with the "brilliant" idea to do away with redundant re porting. When I complained about the fact that the telephone line could wor k for 10 years before the radio ever got to transmit .... they said OH .. b ut it sends in the supervisory signal so you know it's going to report. Sur e nuf .... they had a recall a couple of months later when they discovered that the radios were sending in supervisory signals even when they couldn't transmit an alarm signal.

Then most recently after the Sandy storm I had one DSC GSM radio left. Afte r customer got power back I went back to get the system back on line and th e radio wouldn't work. I called DSC and was told .... OH YEAH, that radio h as a problem. When you loose power and the battery goes to zero .... the un it is shot. AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I guess it was a little too inconvenie nt to issue a notice to the trade.

Needless to say..... No more DSC in my future.

Besides, their equipment is made out of tinfoil, dried mud and compressed c ardboard.

Reply to
Jim

Napco has a rated combination fire burg panel. It does not have a built in GSM radio, but you could use any of the fire rated cellular radios with it. If you want landline plus cell, then put the landline on line 1 and the cell on line 2.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

n GSM radio, but you could use any of the fire rated cellular radios with i t. If you want landline plus cell, then put the landline on line 1 and the cell on line 2.

I don't do commercial fire anymore but I seem to remember someone saying th at the fire marshal in a local county wont allow that. Seems they only want landline. But it likely all depends on whether the local fire marshal got laid last night or not.

I also heard about a fire marshal who somehow got to have jurisdiction over two dinky little townships at the same time, and who has decreed that only NICET II installers will be allow to install fire alarm system in the town ships. However, even though it takes close to a year to become NICET II qua lified, he says his new rules will take effect in a few months. Another self inflated fire asshal with power issues.

So.... like ..... there's not going to be any fire alarms installed in his towns until the local alarm companies qualify. wot an idiot.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.