Occupancy and Security PIR - Suggestions?

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on PIR's for occupancy and security.

formatting link
Robert has already suggested the locations marked on the drawing. Napco PIR1680's on the inside, and Paradox DG85's on the outside and patio.

Would the PIR1680's be a good choice for the bathrooms, too? Maybe a Paradox

460 would be a better choice, right above the door?

Instead of the 1680's, I was thinking about the DG75's. Draw about half the current of the 1680's. But, the lookdown on the 1680 might work better for the halls.

We normally keep the interior doors open... I'm concerned with somebody walking down the hall triggering the PIR's in the bedrooms. Is that a reasonable concern that can be addressed by adjusting the sensitivity?

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill
Loading thread data ...

I'm afraid to ask what your company does. Sounds like subcontract work for radical muslims.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

I've used lots of DG85's and they work well.

The 460 is OK for occupancy sensing but IMO it's a little too hot for security. I've had reports of them falsing more than others.

I chose the 1680's over the DG75's specifically for their lookdown zones. I didn't suggest bathroom PIR's. I prefer to bug the doors. I also try to avoid using motion detectors in bathrooms due to humidity issues.

You could use the Visonic SPY1 motiion detectors for baths. They mount into the ceiling and can be sealed against moisture. There's only a small disk showing inside the room. The guts of the detector are in the wall or ceiling.

If you use the 460's for bathroom occupancy, consider not programming them as alarm sensors. The ELK can use them to turn on lights and/or bathroom fans but ignore them for alarms. They cost less than the SPY series detectors.

You can aim the bedroom PIR's so coverage stops just inside the doors. Another option is to use SPY1 detectors inside the bedroom doors as well. I wouldn't use 460's there because you'll want the bedroom motions to serve as alarm inputs as well.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

that would be www.decapitationservices [sic]

Reply to
Crash Gordon

i prefer glassbreaks in bedrooms set to perimeter zone type...that way you could (if you had a keypad in master bedroom) arm all the system as long as you stay in the bedrooms.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

unless you had a screamer!

Reply to
CROUP MONSTERATOR

screamer/rattler or dog with lots of license tags around his neck (mine :-)

then I just put those room gbs on int zone or adjust them down if possible.

...pirs on patio?...false alarm club of the month...those I'd probably just make local zones.

jmo

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The purpose of the patio PIR's are occupancy. (Turning on a light and knowing when FedEx just "dropped and ran.") I wouldn't use them for security.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

Ok. Let's assume FG-730's for security. Any suggestions for the occupancy PIR's in the bedrooms and bathrooms?

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

:-)

Amazing how two letters completely change the thought process.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

Thanks for the explanation.

Reply to
Nelson Muntz

At least around here, the use of capitation as a payment method is waning. Most physician contracts for HMO's have gone back to "fee for service" (i.e., time and materials). However, capitation is still very prevalent in the dental world.

As a patient, you don't want your doctor to be capitated for *your* care. There is actually a financial *disincentive* for them to treat you. "Fee for service" is the flip side of that. They have a financial *incentive* in treating you. Quite frankly, when it comes to my healthcare, I'd prefer the later.

In general, people have no idea how healthcare in this country works, how insurance works, or how their doctor gets paid (or doesn't, these days). Like using some companies for your security... Ignorance is bliss, right?

God help us if we ever move to nationalized healthcare. Medicare and Medicaid are already big messes, but a good portion of the populace don't understand that. I challenge anybody to name one main-stream federal program that is more cost effective and efficient than the private sector. Nationalized healthcare is going to be any different? You're foolish if you believe that.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

I can see why. When the doctor has a choice on whether or not to do diagnostic tests, under the capitation system he will most likely opt for 'not'.

Pretty much. I had no clue what capitation was. I always thought my insurance paid for line-item stuff.

I do, not to extent that you do though. I know some victims.

I think the current system should remain in place, but I have issue with some things. Insurance premiums are so high because it subsidizes hospital's costs for 'free' work. Massachusetts recently made good legislation concerning heath insurance, I'm sure you're aware of it.

Emergency rooms should only handle EMERGENCYS.. I sat for four hours one time with a dislocated shoulder in the ER in agony - as I watched one nappy-head-ho after another go before me because they were probably drug-seeking or their 16th kid had a f****ng sniffle. The ER is NOT the f****ng clinic.

Reply to
Nelson Muntz

oh I get it...wasn't sure what you meant by occupancy at first.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

if you're just using them for occupancy any thing will work...Auroras (cheap) corner mount, or maybe ceiling mount discs - Visionics makes a good one - (especially in small room like bathroom).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You'd like to think that never happens, but I would tend to guess it does.

Oh, it gets worse in many regards. One day I'll try to write an op-ed for our local newspaper. Putting it all down on paper so that the average person wouldn't get lost after the first paragraph... That would be tough.

Not that you wouldn't get it... You would. It just would be very time consuming to write it all down and edit it.

Me, too. Not personally. But, working in the industry, I hear about them from time to time.

That is absouletry true! And, that brings us to illegal immigration (in many states), and the welfare mentality (which applies everywhere).

Another reason premiums are high is because medicine is bad business. Case in point...

Couple years ago, one of my friends gets a heart valve replacement. He moves from job to job, and I know there's no way he has money to pay for that. He doesn't have insurance. I asked him, "Who paid for that?" He thinks for a moment, and says, "I guess you did."

I'm not advocating my friend die. The discussion hits a little closer to home when it's *your* friend or family. But, the reality is, years ago, heart valve replacement was not main stream, and it would not have been performed on an "indigent" case. He would have died.

My point is... Techology marches on, but we (as a whole) don't have the money to pay for the technology. But, because doctors and society (as a whole), do have compassion... My friend lives, on our dime.

Bingo. There needs to be a good incentive for people to have a primary care doctor, and a good disincentive if you visit the ER without a real emeregecy.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

I know it does. My mom is a nurse. She told me a story about some woman that came in the hospital with blatant dimensia. My mom was telling me how sorry she felt for the woman and her family because the woman was only in her 60's. When I asked her what a doctor would do to treat it - she said the doctor replied, "I don't know - admit her if she has insurance". I think that is so sad, because that woman is someone's mother - and the doctor is willing to let her slip through the cracks unless she can pay for help :-((

Be sure to post it here. Nothing is off topic.

I'll bet.

I was going to bring up wetbacks... But I thought I'd wait until the thread evolved on it's own volition. Now that it has, you bring up a HUGE point. Since ER's have a policy of turning down no-one, the illegal's are using them as a general practitioner (herein known as GP). This is a huge burden on our hospitals. When Pedro's kids get sick, or need shots... who pays? You do.

I remember a situation where a convicted murderer in prison, who had a death sentence got a triple bypass. I still have not decided if that was right or not.

I'm glad your bud is doing fine. Thanks to modern lifesaving technology and compassion (which is why 99% of doctors ARE doctors) you still get to enjoy his company.

Yup. And they need to adhere to triage protocol in the ER's.

Reply to
Nelson Muntz

Read the f>

Reply to
Roland

shut that door all the way.

In that case you'll need a motion detector you can seal against moisture.

True. Someone else mentioned the Honeywell Aurora. Those are inexpensive and not hard to seal.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hmm. I wonder how my insurance company works. They are one of the largest and so far we've never had a problem with them denying anything. Then again, I haven't needed anything "experimental."

When I first got the invoices from the Moffitt Cancer Center I was shocked. The whole procedure -- four months of chemo -- came with a price tab over $250,000. The insurance company would pay a bit more than half of that. This was in addition to nearly $100,000 for surgery, tests and other care before the chemo even began, plus five years of CT Scans, RMI's and other assorted alphabet soup.

Then I read the fine print. The doctors and the hospitals agree to accept the insurance company's negotiated fees as payment in full. We were responsible for the deductible which was only a few thousand dollars -- no big deal. Presumably not every doctor nor every hospital has such an agreement. I wonder what others do.

Whatever the insurer's deal is with the hospitals I went to, it worked out ok financially for me. I'm waiting for results of another biopsy now. I don't mind the treatment or the "procedures." It's waiting to hear the results that I hate.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.