Security Suggestions for Jewelry Store

Reply to
Tommy
Loading thread data ...

I am designing a full security system for a high end jewelry store. I have the cctv system all set, but the BA system I feel like I am missing something. I have the usuall stuff: UL listed panel, safe contact, safe vibration contact, motions, cell back up. I feel like I am missing something? The windows scare me a little. Anyone still use foil? Has anyone used laminate film? The windows are old, single pane. Place use to be a bakery years ago. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
IPCCTV

yep.. got them already.. sorry, should have mentioned those.... replace the windows with laminated glass?

Reply to
IPCCTV

Providing a general location would be helpful. Typically your security concerns may be a bit different if it's a patrolled indoor shopping mall as opposed to an exposed outdoor location. Depending on their exposure, the old bakery may need some additional hardening. What's the roof access like (what kind of venting did the bakery require and is it still there or adequately covered)? What about the basement (if any)? The owner may well require bollards along the front (if it's fronting a parking lot), or the security film (if it's indoors). The owners insurance company might have some requirements as well. I'd check with them first before going any further.

Reply to
Frank Olson

If money is no object, why not? But let's get real: everything good is going to be locked up in the safe at night. If the jeweler has any sense, he won't put high value merchandise in the windows, day or night.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

The insurance co. should have already spec 'd the glass.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I like to add a few dual tech motions or photobeams up inside the drop ceilings. Especially over the alarm panel & safe area. We had a few break ins through the roof, and thieves crawling through the AC vents.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Good advice Frank. This should have been done initially. The designer needs to be careful and not mistake UL Listed as UL Certified if that is what the insurance company wants and to what level of certification that might be required. I don't remember but did he have heat sensor(s) in the safe? Is the store connected to another building or store? Secondary communications? Is the wiring in conduit? Are all junction boxes tampered? Get back with us when you find out more from the insurance company.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yep...and protect the safe 360 degrees. I made a jewelry store move their safe once...it was backed up to an exterior wall that was down an alley.

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Gentlemen, Great suggestions. To offer you some answers to your questions.

The store is located in an outside type walking mall. There is a road into the area, but used maily for service vehicles for trash disposal, etc. Bollards is a thought.. Might be an issue with association owners objecting however. The area is very busy with pedestrian traffic through midnight. Similar area to what you would see around Inner Harbor, MD.

The ceiling is exposed wood beams, walls are stone. Already recommended safe be placed within cash wrap in middle of sales floor with 24 hr loop. Vibration and contact on safe.

Was not planning on going conduit or junction boxes with tampers. My first thought is.. thats bank vault level of security.. I need to determine if I need it here. My gut is no as the high value items will be locked up upon store close. Have recommended CCTV over private viewing area.. discussed policy issues in terms of showing, etc. The strange thing is.. the insurance company did not even specify a UL certified (thanks for clarrification) panel or UL certified monitoring center... They have made no recommendations regarding the windows.. or anything for that matter. Strange isnt it?

Reply to
IPCCTV

Depends on the value of your inventory and your insurance company requirements.

There is a lot of difference between a "Walmart type" jewelry store and a "Beverly Hills type" jewelry store. The latter even being required to have a "man trap" where they buzz you in the first door, then when that door is shut and locked, they will buzz open the second door and allow you into the store. (Hint: If you are wearing a ski mask, they will not open the door.)

So anything from a basic dial-up only level of security to full U.L., bars, safes, man traps, cameras, hold-up, armed security guard, etc.

Also a safe or vault door can have all sorts of sensors. (Heat, rate of rise, vibration, unlatched, door open, capacitance, etc.) Then additional detectors/sensors inside the safe/vault.

Ask your insurance company what is *required*. Also ask what additional things you can install to get insurance discounts. Then determine if the cost of installation (for non required stuff) is worth the reduced insurance rates in the long run.

Reply to
Bill

Good advise Bill.. I'll pass this along to the customer. Much appreciated everyone. Sounds like I am in the ball park... questions remain seem to concern more on ROI and the value of what is being protected...

Reply to
IPCCTV

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

The panel isn't "certified", it's listed. The term UL Listed refers to equipment such as the control panel. The term certificated or certified would refer to the installation itself. UL issues certificates on the alarm system installtion through authorized alarm companies. The installation criteria for such a system can be found in UL681. Per their insurance carrier, some jewelry stores must have UL certficates written on the safe/ vault, the entire premises, or both. Other times, they can receive a discount for having a UL certificated system. UL also writes certificates on monitoring centers, which is a separate subject entirely.

Reply to
J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.