NextAlarm/Abbra/DIY Question

Howdy,

I am moving into an older home and would like to get a security system.

2.5 stories, 3 bedrooms, about 1200 square feet. Detached garage.I am open to paying a contractor, but am somewhat handy, decent with electronics, and want to consider installing a wireless system myself. I would also prefer using a company like NextAlarm that doesn't require signing a contract like ADT, et al. A few questions:

Are there some alt.security.alarms readers currently using [or working for :-) ]nextalarm.com who can provide comments or guidance? Experiences with their broadband backup? Also, any opinions on the Abbra system (Visionic Powermax +) and alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks to the NG in advance for your thoughts and expertise.

Jason

Reply to
wantitforfree
Loading thread data ...

ALL companies require a contract, the differences are in the fine print. Length of term, renewal clauses, etc.

Reply to
Cam

I don't work with or for NextAlarm. However, a number of my DIY customers are using them and so far the few comments I've received about the company have been favorable.

BTW, they do have a contract. It's just not as long as nor as costly as ADT's deal. For those who want a professionally installed system, ADT corporate (not the "authorized dealers") is likely a good choice. There are also plenty of competent, independent alarm dealers in most metro areas. Stay clear of the "free" system deals. They almost always cost much more than a straight forward purchase.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert L Bass wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I currently have a hardwired DSC panel (864) That I installed myself about

2 years ago. I have been using Next Alarm for that same period of time. I do not however use the broadband back-up feauture. I use the POTS connection as I do not consider an internet connection of any type reliable. As far as next alarm goes I have had no problems. I have had 1 attempted break in in the 2 years in service and the police were dispatched within a timely manner, No one was apprehended however it did scare them away and Next Alarm called me on my cellphone and let me know the police were at my residence and would remain there until I arrived to re-secure the premises. Also everytime I accidently set off the alarm, They call almost immediately. In my opinion, Next Alarm is worth a lot more than I pay for it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Shhh. They may be listening. :^)

All kidding aside, glad to hear another good report about NextAlarm. As I mentioned earlier, I have no relationship with them but I've heard much better things spoken of them by end users than about many of the others. No horror stories so far like we occasionally hear about P1, Monitronix and a few of the others.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.