Video / Windows XP

I have a customer who purchased 3 no name XP box DVRs. He has been paying my be the hour to get everything working, so I don't mind too much. Anyway, I still have one problem with them I can't seem to find a work around for.

He has one monitor, keyboard, and mouse going through a switch box for all three units. The two that are just sitting there humming away while you are viewing the third will eventually lose communications with the mouse. When you switch back to those units the keyboard and monitor work fine, but the mouse just sits there.

Is there a way to tell Windows to continue to look for signals from the mouse ad infinitum? (PS2 Mouse) I know, I know... the easy solution is to install three mice, but he doesn't want that. Actually he will be viewing these units remotely more often than locally, but I would like to try and have a solution for the problem when it arises, or better yet before it arises.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I use a Belkin KVM device to switch between two PS2 computers and the device simulates a mouse/keyboard on the inactive machine so everything works correctly when you switch back and forth and also allows the machines to boot without keyboard/mouse errors, Belkin also has similar devices for using four computers with one mouse/monitor/keyboard, you could check with them to see if it works the same way

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

I use a couple of the older Belkin units to switch between four computers and that mouse problem is common. It seems to be cold solder joints on the wires coming to the mouse outputs from the buttons on the front.. I used to simply swap the wires and suddenly the mouse would work again - this is one time it really wasn't a windows problem.

Reply to
thesatguy

OK. I ordered in a couple KVM switches to try. They are a bit more expensive than other switches aren't they? Well, if it works. I told the customer yesterday what he was upto so far for costs on having me setup his systems, and he didn't baulk too much.

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob La Londe

A proper active KVM switch IS more expensive than a simple switchbox, because it contains electronics that generate mouse and keyboard "presence" signals to the computers that aren't in use. This also allows you to start or restart those computers without being switched to them.

One thing to consider is that the KVM should also be able to handle your monitor bandidth, especially if you're running any of the systems at higher resolutions or refresh rates; remember, it's not just a set of physical contacts anymore, but a set of signal buffers that the video has to pass through. Also be sure to use quality shielded VGA cables (if your KVM doesn't have them built-in); the cheap ones will cause ghosting.

I got a killer deal on a 4-port "EUSSO" KVM for CDN$100 a couple years ago, because it was a disconinued unit, but anything over a basic 2-port WILL tend to be fairly expensive.

Reply to
Matt Ion

USB mouse.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

I considered that, of course then I would have to had to get a different switch which ultimately I did. LOL>

-- Bob La Londe - Webmaster

formatting link

Tornament Director

formatting link

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.