Need help with video system problem

A client has a Honeywell video surveillance system with RapidEye Admin and View software. There are 9 cameras, all fully PTZ. The "preset 1" (local tour) instructs the cameras to be in motion at all times, panning R/L, zooming in, out, then starting over.

One camera (camera 8) WILL NOT respond to the preset. We can move the camera manually via the View software. All functions appear to be working. I took camera 8 to another location where the installed camera was acting properly, installed it there, and it still would not move. So the problem definately is in the camera. I checked all the jumpers and dip switches, and they appear to be set just like those on the working cameras.

Any suggestions? Have I left out critical info? I'll be glad to fill in the blanks.

Thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Michael

It is important to know what version of Rapid Eye. There are software upgrades.

formatting link
Some versions are no longer supported by Ademco (Honeywell). Additionally it would be helpful to know what brand and model number the PTZ cameras are and what communication protocol it uses. Are there any protocol converters like Sennetech in use?
formatting link
long has this system been having issues? (If it's anything like the Rapid Eye I've had to work with probably day one.) My suggestion is get rid of Rapid Eye and use a DVR or nDVR to control and record the cameras.

Reply to
Roland

I think you're right. My challenge is now figuring out how to tell the camera what to do.

The cameras in question, as best I can tell, are "RapidDome" cameras (VC8E-GC18) on the large pedestal (about 3 feet). They are mounted to light poles through a large facility.

I was able to find an installation document, which seems to suggest to enter programming through the joystick/keyboard controller. Does that sound right? Other than that, I've only got the physical settings on the camera to work with and the RapidEye software, which does not address this type of programming. The RapidEye docs simply state that "some camera models can be programmed to perform an operation after a View session is ended."

And you hit on the only troubleshooting method I didn't try - putting a working camera from another location into location 8. It was late and I was about out of time on my bucket truck. The only thing I know is that back at the head end where the cable runs are terminated, I connected another camera to the #8 port on the multiplexer and it started moving. So I know the port is sending the message. Now, I guess it's possible that there's a problem in the wiring or terminations on the #8 camera end.

If someone could point me to the programmable settings (if there are any) on the camera, then I think I could figure this out.

By the way, we're in this position because the company that installed the system will not take care of us. They take 2-3 weeks to get out after they're called, then they bill us extraordinary amounts, often without even fixing the problem. I'm a contracted computer guy, so I'm trying to take over the video. I'm willing to put in the time; I just need some direction.

Thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM

The part number you describe VC8E-GC18 is actually an advanced replacement part number for a series of parts like the ones below: AD5GCFC18 AD5GCPP18 AD8GC18ARCP AD8GC18ARCW AD8GC18NPT AD8GC18P AD8GC18S AD8GC18W I don't think anyone posting here deals with Rapid Eye that much. I hate the stuff too much to mess with it. I only fix it when I am forced to.(I don't blame the guys for not showing up to service it.) Be prepared to find out what version of software you have and read the manuals thru and thru BEFORE you call for tech support. You might try calling 1.800.796.CCTV and talk to someone who actually knows Rapid Eye inside and out to help you with your issues. I know someone paid top dollar for these parts. Stating to obvious, I don't think that you found the right vendor and integrator to do the work especially if it has fallen on you, the poor IT guy, to fix. I don't know what city you're in, but Rapid Eye really doesn't have that much traction as a product anywhere I've been. If you want to find a product to get you past the mess you're in try Genetech, Verint, Broadware or similar vendors. Rapid Eye is an over the counter distribution product and it is unlikely that the technicians sent to work on it have any factory training or maybe not even OJT. One of the down sides to using distribution product. The vendors I mention above should have locally trained and supported techs to help when you call. Additionally if you are a computer guy it will fit in well with your computer network (Not on a single collision domain - it needs switches to work). Hopefully you know the network topology where you work and can leverage it to fix this mess. Set up a VLAN for the cameras and for the most part no more worries. Some vendors even offer MOM so you'll know when the cameras crap out just like and other hunk of gear living on the network. Good luck.

"JM" wrote in message news:VG%4h.24645$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

Reply to
Roland

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I think this is our camera:

formatting link
Is the RapidEye application intricately tied to the Honeywell hardware? In other words, could we supplant the current software system while keeping the Ademco/Honeywell cams?

And on that note, I don't think this particular problem resides in the s/w. I think it's simply my lack of knowledge on how to program these cameras. I know I can learn it well enough for our purposes, and the hard truth is that we're stuck with this, like it or not. Because of many factors, it ain't going nowhere, and the responsibility is now firmly on my shoulders.

In all sincerity, while the system isn't perfect and we haven't had great luck with the installers, it's worked pretty well for us. I think once I get my hands around the config basics we'll be okay. I've got eight years in IT and telecom, so I'm no stranger to reading manuals and figuring things out. I'm actually kind of a freak that way. I read Active Directory books on the crapper ; )

Seriously, I really just wish I had a resource for this stuff so I didn't have to figure it all out on my own.

Thanks again,

jm

Reply to
JM

Sorry to hear you're thrown to the wolves like that. One of the bggest source of new customers is from other companies that can't (or won't) service their installs. Anyway, let's try to help you. I hope I'm not giving you bum scoop, as I have worked mostly on other brands of cameras and DVR's. But, The others are similar in the relationship between the DVR and the PTZ operation. I'm not convinced the DVR is sending any signal to start it's tour. If you can, try getting a camera to stay still, then plug it straight into the monitor (if it's not too difficult). After a few minutes, my guess is the camera will start it's tour on it's own. That would lead me to think the other camera might not be programmed with a tour. I noticed another post that said the part number you mentioned was an advanced replacement. Another clue, IMO, that it needs a tour. Yes, using the joystick or keyboard to program the camera sounds just about right. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the procedure for the Rapid Eye domes. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions if you need.

Reply to
Michael

"JM" wrote in message news:QU85h.27911$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

formatting link

If I was the one in your shoes I'd hope someone would point me here

formatting link
to Omnicast. Sounds like you could benefit from a system that is brand agnostic. I don't rep any vendor but I talk to plenty. Genetec is all about making there stuff work with eveyone else's hardware (since they don't make any hardware). If you not an alarm or CCTV guy now you'll never learn to think like one. You're a computer guy and you shouldn't think like us. Omnicast turns CCTV thought into Computer thought so you'll get it. Then you can go nuts adding all sorts of Axis and Sony PoE network cameras and forget Rapid Eye if you want (other than what you already have). Omnicast works with a lot of stuff I never heard of, and I've heard of Rapid Eye. If Omnicast doesn't work with Rapid Eye protocol now (very doubtfull that it doesn't) then I am sure it would once you base your P.O. on that happening. I just am unclear as to what Rapid Eye software product you actually have. There was a computer based product that was mostly about live viewing and transmitting and controlling live video via (POTS) telephone line and some limited recording. It has gone thru about a million changes and upgrades and it seems it kind of disappeared. There is a Rapid Eye DVR now too that works with old stuff but everything seems kludgy and vague with Rapid Eye. The camera literature you point to shows: a.. Built-in intelligent receiver for up-the-coax (UTC) or RS485 twisted pair (TP) operation a.. Built-in code translator provides compatibility with PELCO P or D based systems If all you have is up the coax control that is going to be a problem for any other vendor to use. Hopefully someone ran a data cable to the camera too. If not maybe Sennetech could help
formatting link
with a solution. Other than reading the manuals and getting factory support I think you're on your own with Rapid Eye. I am certainly no resource. I'd have to read the manual again too. Okay I'd cheat and call in a favor from somewhere but that's not something a can pass on to you. Let me know if the Omnicast idea helps.

Reply to
Roland

Thank you for helping. I appreciate it.

As for where the tour information is or isn't, here's what I tried: In the server room the video cables are terminated on boxes with BNC connectors. They run left to right from 1-9. From there, patch cables connect them to the multiplexer underneath the server. So I can try different ports on different cameras simply by moving the patch cables around and watching the result on the server monitor. When I connect any port to the #8 camera, there is no movement. However, when I connect any camera to the #8 port, the camera starts moving. Therefore, unless I'm not thinking properly, the video port is giving the tour info. It's just that the #8 camera isn't listening.

From what I can reason, there are at least three possible places where this programming information must be configured: the camera itself (dipswtiches and jumper pins), the programming interface accessed by the joystick/keyboard, and the RapidView software. The only method I haven't tried is the joystick/keyboard.

I asked a video professional I know from another region, and he thinks I haven't "set the protocol on the camera to the match the controller." He said for interoperability, these cameras support perhaps 6-10 different protocols.

One problem is that I can only access the server room about twice a week. It's an area of limited access.

thank you again,

jm

Reply to
JM

So this is an up the coax PTZ control set up? "these cameras support perhaps

6-10 different protocols." Not true for up the coax, generally only one. If PTZ control is on a data cable then yes many protocols. If PTZ #8 ever worked someone must have "set the protocol on the camera to the match the controller." already. Unless you did something to change the settings that shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like #8 may have problems and needs a RMA. Only 8 cameras? And still using a mux? That system is too small and old to use anything but a replacement DVR head end when that time comes unless you have money to burn or are going to add a bunch of cameras soon. No need to sniff out Verint and such. That doesn't get cost effective until a minimum of 32 cameras is reached and more are to be added soon. I guess you have a large facility with a small number of cameras.
Reply to
Roland Moore

I've left out some important info, haven't I?

First all, the facility is a state park, and 6 of the cameras are right around the headquarters. The entire project was a reaction to 9/11, where the government started doing things because of possible terrorist threats. So, most of the cameras were put in to monitor traffic in and around HQ. They pan across the front gate, parking lot, rear gate, a facility in the back, and on the exits. Three cameras are approximately 1/2 mile away, trained on two park facilities for safety concerns.

I am a private contractor that works a lot with this government body and particular department. I own a small telecom and data services company. I have techs that are more knowledgeable than I on this kind of stuff, but the client is extremely choosy about who they let near their equipment. I'm the guy they trust, so it's all on me. I'm okay with that, because I truly love to learn new things, and while I may never completely bridge the gap between my area of expertise and security, I am in the enviable position of being able to bring some very good resources to bear on the project once the relationship grows.

Okay, I'm not sure if all that needed to be said, but I can see this ng as being a great source of info for me, so I guess the more info the better. And I hope I am able to contribute back at some point.

And, yes, these cameras are wired with data cable. As for your next question - whether the #8 camera ever worked correctly - I cannot determine that myself. I have asked several people about that, and the consensus is that it never worked properly.

So, considering all that I've experienced and read here, I'm left with the feeling that the camera isn't programmed. I can get access back to the server and control unit by Wendesday or so, and I'm going to try to work with the joystick/keyboard control. Does that sound liek the logical next step?

Further, on your other point, because of this being a government agency, I'm quite sure they were over-sold. The system does seem overblown for the small number of cameras.

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM

Try trouble shooting the data cable first. Look for opens, shorts and grounds. as well as total resistance on each leg. Are all the wires home runs? Are there short haul modems? Normally you can't send video 1/2 mile over coax. Is it twisted sender? Fiber? What?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.