How to adjust camera surveillance system with only one person?

Got 8 cameras and need to find out how to adjust each for best images

- view and focus.

There is NO ISP connection to send images back to cell phone.

May be possible to attach a BNC feed straight into a 'portable' monitor [external power IS available], but prefer not to since the wiring is NOT easily accessible.

Any recommendations? specific instrumentation?

Plus, the DVD is in 'low access' cabinet location. Need to view and control remotely. Any specific instrumentation to do that 'once in a while' setting changes and remote setup for reviewing tapes?

I had heard once mentioned, use a bluetooth mouse and a wireless link to the monitor. That way, can set up neaby to the location of the DVD and control/monitor the DVD. Any 'specific' recommendations?

Reply to
Robert Macy
Loading thread data ...

I am hoping your really meant a DVR as opposed to a DVD, right??

Your choices are very limited. If there is a highspeed connection somewhere close set it up to a DDNS server and port forward the router. Make it temporary and when finished disassemble return to normal and your done.

Lay out a very long Coax cable and connect to the DVR Monitor 1 output to a composite video monitor or TV.

Or hire a kid off the street that can follow some instruction and get-r-done.

Don't forget that when you are "reviewing tapes" to always rewind before removal. :-)

Hope all goes well.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Thanks.

there is no high speed access, period.

coax cable sounds like I could replace that with a 'porr' wireless link and do it that way.

from years of experience at adjusting antennas using two people, arrrrgggg! Seemed the one watching the monitor [TV] HAD to be the one in control, else, didn't seem possible to optimize at all.

Reply to
Robert Macy

iew and focus. There is NO ISP connection to send images back to cell phone . May be possible to attach a BNC feed straight into a 'portable' monitor [ external power IS available], but prefer not to since the wiring is NOT eas ily accessible. Any recommendations? specific instrumentation? Plus, the DV D is in 'low access' cabinet location. Need to view and control remotely. A ny specific instrumentation to do that 'once in a while' setting changes an d remote setup for reviewing tapes? I had heard once mentioned, use a bluet ooth mouse and a wireless link to the monitor. That way, can set up neaby t o the location of the DVD and control/monitor the DVD. Any 'specific' recom mendations?

I'm presuming that the DVR has remote view via internet capability. Also, i f there is a WiFi router and the cameras are within WiFi range, you could u se a WiFi capable device to view the DVR on the local network. If distance is a problem, get a long Cat5 patch cord and temporarilay move the WiFi rou ter closer to the cameras.

Reply to
Jim

meras and need to find out how to adjust each for best images - view and fo cus. There is NO ISP connection to send images back to cell phone. May be p ossible to attach a BNC feed straight into a 'portable' monitor [external p ower IS available], but prefer not to since the wiring is NOT easily access ible. Any recommendations? specific instrumentation? Plus, the DVD is in 'l ow access' cabinet location. Need to view and control remotely. Any specifi c instrumentation to do that 'once in a while' setting changes and remote s etup for reviewing tapes? I had heard once mentioned, use a bluetooth mouse and a wireless link to the monitor. That way, can set up neaby to the loca tion of the DVD and control/monitor the DVD. Any 'specific' recommendations ? I'm presuming that the DVR has remote view via internet capability. Also, if there is a WiFi router and the cameras are within WiFi range, you could use a WiFi capable device to view the DVR on the local network. If distanc e is a problem, get a long Cat5 patch cord and temporarilay move the WiFi r outer closer to the cameras.

Oops, just saw your post about no high speed connection.

Next best, lest expensive/troublsome suggestion would be ..... hire someone for a few hours and invest in a cheap walkie talkie.

Reply to
Jim

Not needed. You can set both smart phone and DVR up on your LAN and do it locally with the local IP address of the DVR.

Alternatively there used to be a transmitter that would allow you to tune in with a manually tuned TV between channels. I never used one, and of course the last resort is to drag a cable out to a portable TV.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No high speed needed. Just local Wi Fi will work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... > On Monday, April 8, 2013 2:26:05 PM UTC-4 , Jim wrote: >> On Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:26:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wro te: > Got 8 >> cameras and need to find out how to adjust each for best ima ges - view >> and focus. There is NO ISP connection to send images back to cell phone. >> May be possible to attach a BNC feed straight into a 'portab le' monitor >> [external power IS available], but prefer not to since the w iring is NOT >> easily accessible. Any recommendations? specific instrument ation? Plus, >> the DVD is in 'low access' cabinet location. Need to view a nd control >> remotely. Any specific instrumentation to do that 'once in a while' >> setting changes and remote setup for reviewing tapes? I had heard once >> mentioned, use a bluetooth mouse and a wireless link to the monito r. That >> way, can set up neaby to the location of the DVD and control/mon itor the >> DVD. Any 'specific' recommendations? I'm presuming that the DVR has >> remote view via internet capability. Also, if there is a WiFi route r and >> the cameras are within WiFi range, you could use a WiFi capable de vice to >> view the DVR on the local network. If distance is a problem, get a long >> Cat5 patch cord and temporarilay move the WiFi router closer to the >> cameras. > > Oops, just saw your post about no high speed connection .

No high speed needed. Just local Wi Fi will work.

Yer right ..... what was I thinking??

Reply to
Jim

I find that is important to learn something new everyday.

I have been reading this thread and trying to understand the process. I have most always had a warm body to help with the set up of cameras. I have done it myself by taking the output feed off at the camera and hooking up a small composite monitor at each camera. A bit of a PITA but it does work to a point. I think the problems have to do with the resolution of the monitor in that the cameras need an extra tweak when I get back at the head end. This why I added my .02cents on the topic, because I did not know about this WiFi possibility.

I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of WiFi is very limited to almost non-existent. So please allow me to type out what my understanding is of this process.

First install a wireless router and connect direct to the network connection of the DVR.

Then set up the port forwarding of the required port to the IP address of the DVR just as I would do for remote or mobile viewing of the cameras just as if a high-speed was being setup.

Then enable the WiFi portion of the router to allow access to any other device such as a laptop or iPhone.

Then have the laptop or iPhone search for available WiFi connections. Log On and connect. Bring up IE or mobile viewing app and enter required info and view DVR and cameras.

Move router as needed to keep signal strength up.

Does that about sum up the process or am I missing something??

Thanks for any input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Here is a suggested procedure of ensuring best focus and images upon the in stallation of surveillance cameras.

*Turn off the electronic shutter and back light compensation and other swit chers, make sure the chart on the CCD, and adjust the aperture and focus to make the image on the monitor best. If the cameras will be used in various light conditions, it is better to equip the auto aperture and turn off the ELC. If manual aperture is chosen, turn on the ELC. After adjusting lens, housing and bracket should be fixed too. Please visit the following link fo r more info...
formatting link
Please check out also high tech and dependable surveillance cameras via thi s link:
formatting link

I hope this reply could be valuable to you...

Reply to
ronron1salvedia2

Here is a suggested procedure of ensuring best focus and images upon the in stallation of surveillance cameras.

*Turn off the electronic shutter and back light compensation and other swit chers, make sure the chart on the CCD, and adjust the aperture and focus to make the image on the monitor best. If the cameras will be used in various light conditions, it is better to equip the auto aperture and turn off the ELC. If manual aperture is chosen, turn on the ELC. After adjusting lens, housing and bracket should be fixed too. Please visit the following link fo r more info...

Please check out also high tech and dependable surveillance cameras via thi s link:

formatting link

I hope this reply could be valuable to you...

Reply to
ronron1salvedia2

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:01:19 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote: I find that is important to learn something new everyday. I have been readi ng this thread and trying to understand the process. I have most always had a warm body to help with the set up of cameras. I have done it myself by t aking the output feed off at the camera and hooking up a small composite mo nitor at each camera. A bit of a PITA but it does work to a point. I think the problems have to do with the resolution of the monitor in that the came ras need an extra tweak when I get back at the head end. This why I added m y .02cents on the topic, because I did not know about this WiFi possibility . I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of WiFi is very limited to almost non-existent. So please allow me to type out what my understanding is of this process.

First install a wireless router and connect direct to the network connectio n of the DVR.

Yes

Then set up the port forwarding of the required port to the IP address of the DVR just as I would do for remote or mobile viewing of the cameras just as if a high-speed was being setup. This is not necessary since you won't be accessing the DVR from the Interne t.

Then enable the WiFi portion of the router to allow access to any other de vice such as a laptop or iPhone. Then have the laptop or iPhone search for available WiFi connections.

Yes

Log On and connect. Bring up IE or the mobile viewing app and enter requir ed info and view DVR and cameras.

Yes

You'll have to download the viewing app for your laptop/Iphone/Ipad ... pre viously from a location that is connected to the Internet, since the locati on of the cameras doesn't have Internet capability.

The following could vary depending upon the DVR that you have. Here's what I have to do using Speco DVR's. Go into programing of the DVR. Find out wha t the "local port" is on the DVR. (It should be something like 100 or some times a four digit number.) ( If I were going to connect via the Internet, I would have to obtain the External port number also so that I could port f orward the router to that port number and the port number for audio if ther e was audio listen-in)You also have to obtain the IP address of the DVR. It should be something like 198.168.1.1. If it is something like 10. 1. 2.

1 you'll have to set the DVR setting to automatically obtain an IP address. It's different with different DVR mfg's. Once you have an IP address that your router can identify (looks similar to the routers IP address) change t he DVR back to fixed IP address.

Now go to your laptop/Iphone/Ipad and sign on to IE. Enter in the IP addre ss of the DVR like this. If the IP address of the DVR is 198.168.1.2. and the local port was 100, enter the following in IE 198.168.1.2:100 OR ..... . you may have to start up your remote viewing app and enter this info ther e. It varys.

Move router as needed to keep signal strength up.

Yes

Does that about sum up the process or am I missing something?? Thanks for a ny input.

Les

I think I just learned something new today also. Don't try to explain how to set up a DVR to someone in a Newsgroup. :->

I might have missed something. After awhile, when you're actually setting u p the DVR you just go to the next logical step and don't think about what y ou're doing. If I missed something, hopefully someone will correct me.

Reply to
Jim

cameras and need to find out how to adjust each for best images - view and focus. There is NO ISP connection to send images back to cell phone. May be possible to attach a BNC feed straight into a 'portable' monitor [external power IS available], but prefer not to since the wiring is NOT easily acce ssible. Any recommendations? specific instrumentation? Plus, the DVD is in 'low access' cabinet location. Need to view and control remotely. Any speci fic instrumentation to do that 'once in a while' setting changes and remote setup for reviewing tapes? I had heard once mentioned, use a bluetooth mou se and a wireless link to the monitor. That way, can set up neaby to the lo cation of the DVD and control/monitor the DVD. Any 'specific' recommendatio ns? I'm presuming that the DVR has remote view via internet capability. Als o, if there is a WiFi router and the cameras are within WiFi range, you cou ld use a WiFi capable device to view the DVR on the local network. If dista nce is a problem, get a long Cat5 patch cord and temporarilay move the WiFi router closer to the cameras.

ne for a few hours and invest in a cheap walkie talkie.

I finally purchased a wrist mounted, portable LCD monitor from Super Circuits with rechargeable battery. After setting up six of the mounted cameras, I firmly believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to do with two people using walkie talkies. Even with the monitor on my wrist some cameras took over 15 minutes to properly adjust. The cameras are monunted under an eve that has a 45 degree slope, so adjusting the field of view was a major challenge, because the universal mounting adapter is a mechanical nightmare. Can't imagine what that would be like trying to use a walkie talkie.

Reply to
Robert Macy

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:26:01 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote: I finally purchased a wrist mounted, portable LCD monitor from Super Circu its with rechargeable battery. After setting up six of the mounted cameras, I firmly believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to do with two people using walkie talki es. Even with the monitor on my wrist some cameras took over 15 minutes to properly adjust. The cameras are monunted under an eve that has a 45 degree slope, so adjusting the field of view was a major challenge, because the u niversal mounting adapter is a mechanical nightmare. Can't imagine what tha t would be like trying to use a walkie talkie.

It's ok as long as both people know somthing about setting up cameras.

Reply to
Jim

ircuits with rechargeable battery. After setting up six of the mounted came ras, I firmly believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to do with two people using walkie t alkies. Even with the monitor on my wrist some cameras took over 15 minutes to properly adjust. The cameras are monunted under an eve that has a 45 de gree slope, so adjusting the field of view was a major challenge, because t he universal mounting adapter is a mechanical nightmare. Can't imagine what that would be like trying to use a walkie talkie.

From experience, I found that the intelligent one should be watching and giving directions. Surprised me. at first I went up to the mast and made changes while 'talking' about what I was doing. Kept getting answers like "that was better before" Then I realized the adjuster can't be the controller, the viewer has to be the controller. I know, I know obvious with hindsight, right?

Reply to
Robert Macy

On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:53:39 PM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote: It's ok as long as both people know somthing about setting up cameras.

From experience, I found that the intelligent one should be watching and gi ving directions. Surprised me. at first I went up to the mast and made chan ges while 'talking' about what I was doing. Kept getting answers like "that was better before" Then I realized the adjuster can't be the controller, t he viewer has to be the controller. I know, I know obvious with hindsight, right?

Old but true saying. Common sense aint so common.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.