Multiple magnets, one zone, EOL resistor. Never works!

Tane!!!??? Don't *ever* mention that word in here again... I'm sure there's something in the FAQ about it too!!! :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Hah! You got me. Anyway, there were TWO problems I finally figured out: First, I stuck a resistor at the panel and it still read open. So, since it's a little expander module, I removed the unit from the wall and put it under heavy lights and looked very closely at the contacts. There was a piece of something (wire possibly?) jammed between the contacts! I removed that and it worked so far. But, the long 50' span of window switches still read open all the time. So, I shorted each one at a time and determined that the second one was bad. I cut it out, replaced it, and re-soldered each connection and now it's fine. Goddam incredible. I bet guys that do this every day must find all sorts of crap shorting out the panel... dog hair, mice, roaches, joints, whatever. One thing I did also notice is two of the window magnets slipping off the metal part of the Andersen windows. I guess that tape doesn't stick very well. I tried a dab of silicone DAP but that didn't work well either. I suppose I'm just going to Super Glue the darn things. What do you guys use to make sure they never fall off?

Reply to
Total nerd

The best glue I've found is GOOP it's not like silicon which never will stick on in the same place or falls off because of temperature (usually too cold)...you can buy Goop at Home Depot or anywhere actually...I swear by the stuff. It is somekind of silicone but it dries faster and harder and CLEAR.

Never really had problems with something shorting out a panel though.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

On the expander module, three wires are used for two zones. The first is the common for both and the next two are for each zone. When the two used for each zone were shorted, it though the zone was not working.

Reply to
Total nerd

This is a shining example of why we should ALWAYS home-run all door and window contacts.

Screws. js

Reply to
alarman

Not to mention, something "shorting out" a normally closed circuit wouldn't cause the alarm panel to complain ...

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Good job! It is difficult enough to find just one problem, but when there are two problems at the same time, it can make troubleshooting quite difficult to say the least...

Reply to
Bill

Experience comes in handy though. Most of us wouldn't wire the circuit the way you are because you are limiting what you can do in the future (with a new panel with more zones), making it harder to troubleshoot and ensuring that one bad switch will make ALL of those windows dead and you can simply take one out of the loop at the panel. Remember, you are dealing with eletronic gear and things do go bad. (if you are using recessed switches I hope you included a service loop)

and as the years

Yes we did.

I presume, without being too bold, that if

We would likely give him a lot more crap about it. Crash made a ligth hearted comment and you were a bit sensitive about it.

Nevertheless, continuing this

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Hummmm could be...anyone here want to tackle a new space program this week end?

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: pqf7f.31$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Reply to
petem

yes it would create a bad state to the panel cause it was waiting for a 2k resistor not a short..

but I am sure it was not shorting the input directly but it was just connecting one side of the loop to a positive supply witch would in fact put the voltage level at the sensing circuit high enough to make it look like an open...

"Sylva>

Reply to
petem

I agree 100% with using GOOP! It will hold a loose shoe sole in place!

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Shhhhhhhh!

| >

| > "Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message | de | > news: pqf7f.31$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net... | > > judging from some of the questions herein...maybe it is rocket science | and | > > we just dont know it. | > >

| > >

| > > | >

| > > | >

| > > | > | | > > | > | | > > | >

| > > | >

| > > | | > > | | > > | | > >

| > >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's classified...but I've been secretly working with wireless Pauly to launch a satellite from Belgium that will disable all wireless devices in our secret plan to rule the world... We do need a rocket though...

de

Reply to
Jackcsg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.