Multimeters For Alarms

I am planning on buyine a new Multimeter. Are any of you using the Fluke 87V,179 or 117? If not which do you use?

Reply to
T.J.
Loading thread data ...

I use a Radio Shack pocket meter...It is autoranging, and has auto shut off to conserve batteries. I have enough crap in my toolbox as it is.

Jim Rojas

T.J. wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I use a Fluke 179, best meter I have had yet.

Reply to
ssokoly

I've got a Radio Shack meter with a serial port for external data logging. It works great and in circumstances where I have had power issues I've left it plugged into a wall and connect to one of the clients computeres logging power overnigth on hyper terminal a few times. Its great when you can go to their computer and show them the history of crappy power service they have.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Any words you care to share on the Brinks fiasco?

Reply to
Just Looking

Fluke 73 III. Muy bueno. js

Reply to
Buggs

prob can't talk about it. bad pub for brinky. so they would muzzle as part of the settlement.

Reply to
newb

I have a Fluke 111 but would like a model number on the RatShak unit below if you don't mind. Interesting.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Fluke 87V and 179 are both excellent high quality meters- been an electrician/alarm installer/Educator for 35+ years and have found that Fluke products are bullit-proof tough and they have a great support network as well as excellent training and repair services. Mike s

Reply to
secure15

Catalog No 22-812

I think it may be discontinued.

Looks like the manual is available for download though. That will come in handy as I misplaced the manual ages ago.

formatting link
It seems I recall seeing one in one of the loacl stores just a month or so ago, so there may still be some in the stores. I may go back and look just in case since I like this meter so much and buy a spare if they still have one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for the info. Guy on Ebay has some. FWIW the same unit at 3 different prices. Interesting?????????????????

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE_1

The cheapest one says the continuity buzzer is out.

When I need a continuity buzzer I used a home made tester with clip leads and a loader piezo buzzer so I can hear it across the house or office I am working on so that would not be a turn off to me.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I missed that with my quick look.

Yes the buzzer would not be at the top of my list either.

Seeing as how I am half deaf in one ear and can hear out of the other. ;-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I still carry my Rat Shack pocket meter (as a spare). I pull it out about once every two years to change the batteries. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

As a side note... nothing helps to find a marginal problem in wire like a sensitive analog meter. One guy watching the meter while the other shakes, and wiggles and prods at everything.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sounds more like a cheap date than a service call. Can I come along?

Reply to
Roland More

Sounds like the Blue Oyster bar in "Police Academy".

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.