Major shortcoming in Paradox new panel lineup

I'm sorry but it still seems like a small change to be really upset about, its a small command change

Now THAT is a different story

Are you sure its not a problem with your distributor? I can't see any company doing all this

Ahh the luxury of having too many customers :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

OK, but I'm really a Napco man.

If it works for you that's fine. I'm just used to teaching people to enter their code and then select what they want the panel to do. It's as natural to me as doing it your way is to you.

I'm sure that's true. By reading the manual and actually installing the system they become far more knowledgeable than the average alarm user. I'm sure you've had as many clients as I have (when I was still installing) who don't understand the first thing other than "punch in the code and the little red light comes on." However, I've trained hundreds of non-DIY alarm users to operate the alarms we installed over the years and IME they don't have much trouble grasping the use of the keypad. It's mostly a matter of me doing a thorough job of teaching them (not as though you don't of, course).

Perhaps, but consider this. Hundreds of thousands of alarm owners use both methods and they rarely cause false... hmmm, errm scratch that. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I thought that was part of CP-01 that the system had to be able to disarm with code only when in alarm. At least that is what DSC said.

Reply to
Roland More

True. SIA CP-01: 4.2.3.3

"Disarm. When the system is in an Entry Delay, the system shall Disarm by entering a user code only. Alternative co-existing methods of Disarming are permitted."

"Progress annunciation shall be silenced upon entry of the first digit of the user code. Progress annunciation shall resume upon entry of an invalid user code or after a manufacturer specified time during the Entry Delay."

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Are you going to all your existing Paradox-using customers, ripping out their old Paradox panels, and installing the new ones? Because that's the only way I can see this really being THAT big of an issue, if you're taking away something they're used to and forcing something different on them.

For new installs... "Now this is a little different than you may be used to on your last site/in your last home..." Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Um, I'm only going by your post as to these "extra steps"... but hitting a button marked "Arm" or "Disarm" to TELL the panel what you're doing, then entering your code, somehow seems a bit MORE intuitive to me, for the completely untrained user.

Contrast and compare: "How do I arm the system?" "Just punch in your code." "And how do I disarm it?" "Just punch in your code." "How does it know whether I'm arming or disarming?" (Seriously... this is largely how the conversation went with my mother when I programmed her a code in my home system).

On the other hand: "How do I arm the system?" "Just press 'Arm' and punch in your code." "And how do I disarm it?" "Just press 'Off' and punch in your code." "Wow, okay, that makes sense."

It DOES make sense if you shut out of your mind for a moment that the other way is what YOU'VE been programmed for.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Precisely. It's not the customers who need to learn new methods. It's the dealers. The same problem happens regarding DIY. Most dealers are so set in their ways that they can't comprehend how easy it is for most people to install their own alarms.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's about as easy as it is filing a complaint at the BBB... It would appear that you have a great deal of experience dealing with that...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.