No Serial Ports on Notebooks

Hello All,

I don't imagine that I'm the first to realize that most new notebooks arrive lacking a standard rs232 port.

I've tried usb to rs232 converters with very limited amounts of success (they definately don't like legacy software, if they sniiff DOS walking across the street three blocks away they just have a fit).

Some manufacturers will provide a notebook with serial ports but you usually have to buy a model that's far above (in price) their mainstream models.

I've done a little research and I believe a pcmcia card with a serial port should function like a normal serial port. Most seem to advertise a

16550 serial chip on the pci bus, just like if it was onboard.

Anyone else run into this and already slain a dragon that I'm now facing??

Thanks Randy

Reply to
Randy Mass
Loading thread data ...

See if a docking station will work, they usually have those ports and aren't too bulky

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's an idea... sometimes also known as a "port replicator". Most will be specific to your model of laptop, but there are some USB-connected versions that may work as well.

The PCCard version should work more like a "real" port, though.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Yes. A PCMCIA card will normally work but not if the software on the PC has been written to interface directly with the serial port on a PC.

Reply to
CWatters

Many vendors that use serial ports for the alarm downloading software recommend specific brands of USB to serial converters. I use Keyspan Brand USB to Serial converter on many applications.

Dell makes laptops with Serial ports that aren't too much higher than regular ones.

Reply to
Roland More

I have had the same problem, but with Desktops. You are correct, that the hardware emulation does not always do the trick...but what does that say for us hanging on to "OLD" software. In my Software Engineering classes, we talked about "Life Cycle" of software. How long should it be maintained, and how long should it run before it is rightfully retired. I guess the moral is that they built stuff too good back then. What is it you are using that uses DOS anymore? I used to program industrial devices with RS-232 controls, back in the early 1980's. So here we are 20 years later, still clinging to RS232 devices? Now I buy networked (TCP/IP) devices. The speed difference (156K vs 10Mb) between network devices and RS232 Serial is astronomical. So what is it you are using DOS for???????????? It is not even "DOS" anymore, but the command shell.

Reply to
The Computer Dood

you think it might be software for security alarms?

Reply to
newb

It's not a question of retiring, sometimes you have no choice especially with discontinued panels like Linear CP-90's, AT&T and old Caddx panels, that software is DOS only

I guess the moral is that they built stuff too good back then.

Security system technology still resides somewhere in the 80's

Reply to
Mark Leuck

thats why i still have a 486 running dos...so i can still RAM old radx stuff.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Wow...what torture. I have Ram 2 running on a Pentium 3 laptop with Win98se.

Jim Rojas

Crash Gord> thats why i still have a 486 running dos...so i can still RAM old radx > stuff.

Reply to
Jim Rojas

ah...my W98 (not se) machine is used to ram DoorKing and Compass.

RAM 2 adventure...when I had the dongle I couldn't find RAM 2 discs, then I found the discs and couldn't find the freekin dongle. So...it's RAM and the original Tecmar modem...until all my 6112s & 4112s die...which may take another 20 years. Man them things are destructo-proof.

| >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It is still often easier to write a custom utility in basic or C+ or CHASM if you really want speed to run under DOS. Faster smaller code that can sort or datamine or convert the format of a huge data file in a fraction of the time of any ANY Winblows application.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The only ~inexpensive USB rs232 serial adapter that I've actually found to work well is made by StarTech. I've tried the cheap ebay/surplus ones and they were unusable junk. There are knockoffs that look like the StarTech, so buy from a dealer that sells the StarTech or has a good return policy.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Yea it will run in 95/98 but not XP

Reply to
Mark Leuck

ever heard of Microsoft virtual pc?

Been able to use an Old Kl8000 database from kantech in a set-up that consisted of 3 virtual Dos 6.22 machine,they were all connected together with simulatation of rs232 port that were in software and the connection to the hardware controller was redirected to a USB serial port..

all was well and it worked for hours at a time..

this was to help transfer the info from the old software to the Entrpass Corporate edition...

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 468afcff$0$514$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
Petem

I never understood the Corporate Edition name when Kantech doesn't even make an 8 door panel (that I have ever seen). Some corporate. Does Kantech believe someone would actually pick over the counter Kantach as a first choice for a large corporate environment just to mount walls full of

2 door panels? Even Keyscan has an eight door panel.
Reply to
Roland More

I just dont get it..whats the buzz with 8 door controler...why do you like to put all your eggs in the same damn basket?

but if you really need 8 door controler to please you....

here is some thing you can do,use 4 kt300 in one consourseEXP enclosure

formatting link
you will have one box wich is 28 X 14 for you 8 door..just order the 4 pc board 4 battery and 4 transfo...

unless you cant figure this out...

"Roland More" a écrit dans le message de news:

468e5511$0$12251$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

There are many notebooks that still have serial ports. Buy one that does and you won't have a problem. Sheesh!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

It is the price. One 8 door controller versus 4 two door controllers. On larger jobs it is far more common to use 16 door controllers (like an iSTAR). We have found that when maintaining a system the fewer total number of parts generally means the less expensive it is to maintain. Other than Northern Computer stuff, most other manufacturer's controllers we use have a low field failure rate. On the other hand Northern panels work just fine in the dumpster.

Reply to
Roland More

Are you saying that Northern decided not to use the designs they bought from Silent Knight all those years ago? For shame. Surely a big company like Northern wouldn't buy up a competitors line jsut to reduce compatition now would they?

Actually I have two of the SK Access 2000 16 (alarm/access) door controllers in operation and they are working fine. Both are over ten years old. One did have to be sent in for repairs after about 8 years, but its been working strong ever since.

I'm looking forward to Napco's new stuff. Not the X255. I received an e-mail from them saying they have a much larger scalable access system coming on-line soon. I'm betting its a carry over from the Continental line.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.