Local ADT "Authorized Dealer" violating Florida law

Some moron from the ADT "Authorized Dealer" in Sarasota/Bradenton has been sticking signs on doors offering a "Free Alarm System". The catch, according to the come-on is that you must "(1) own your home and (2) you have to advertise the ADT sign."

The sales rep's name is Shea Dudley. His office phone, according to the sign he's posting, is 941-526-8665.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
bean

What's-a-matta?? Don't like the competition??

Seems to me some unlicensed, unbonded, and uninsured "individual" right here in this Newsgroup (who's also in Sarasota by strange coincidence) stated he was removing Brinks control panels as well!!! Tsk!!

The rep's name is Robert Bass. His office phone, according to the sig line he's always posting, is 877-722-8900.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I don't think you can advertise a system as "free" in Florida unless there are no strings attached. Most "free" systems require a three or four year contract term at rather a steep monthly fee... although I've seen a few ADT systems out here where they're only charging $18.00 a month for the "whole enchilada"... That positively "boggles"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Florida law does not allow phony "free" system advertising.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Too bad they don't do much about people offering "free" shipping

Reply to
Mark Leuck

In my online store UPS ground shipping is free if the order exceeds $125. If it is less than that I charge a nominal fee of $5.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Nope. It's not. There's a whole lot of "fine print" and conditions. "Free shipping" should mean exactly that... "Free Shipping"... your version of "free" is the same as the ADT dealer you've just "ratted out"...

It's "free" on "most" orders only if:

1. It's in the "continental" US,
  2. It isn't anything with the name "ELK" on it;
  3. It isn't anything with the name "ITI" on it,
  4. The order comes to more than 5.00.

Then there's the issue surrounding what *you* "include" in the word "most"... Sorta makes you wonder about those complaints filed at the BBB abou you... What are they up to now?? 12?? With 7 being "shipping/delivery related"??

Tsk!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

In a press release from the Florida Attorney Generals Office, assistant attorney general, Stephen Inglesias, stated that the offering of "Free" alarm systems was a direct violation of Florida's "free gift" act and also a violation of deceptive trade practice. Practicing such, has federal implications, as well. ADT has been hit with this, by the State, but all of their "Authorized Dealers"(some have been hit), haven't learned their lesson. ADT, P1 and the old Securitylink were all hit for $100K plus penalties. Can the average Authorized Dealer survive that? I blame ADT for not educating their dealers and excepting agreements that were/are obtained illegally. Nice Dealer Support, lets help them fail rather than succeed. Many don't know, that in Florida, door to door solicitation for anything over $25 dollars is illegal. Of course there are exemptions, but security systems are not one of them.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I believe there are parameters for the Authorized Dealers to follow when they are going to sell the ageement to the parent company. However, ADT, at least down here, now allows them to keep accounts and have ADT provide third party monitoring service. The dealer now sets up his own business plan and although he is still using the ADT name in his business, all bets are off as far as the parameters set by ADT when an agreement is going to be purchased by them.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

any relation to Julio? :) he's a good singer!

stated that the offering of "Free"

would putting door hangers on the knobs of houses close to where an installer was installing be considered 'door to door selling'? would 'free shipping' from bassburglaralarms also be a violation of FL 'free gift' act? ;)

Reply to
bean

I'm not sure, but the "free system" offer from the local ADT Authorized Dealer is a clear violation of Florida law.

If you believe that, file a complaint. No sense just running your mouth.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I spoke to the owner of the local "authorized dealer" and he claims he knew nothing of the flier. He also said he didn't know the "free system" offer is illegal in Florida. It sounded as though he knew full well what the flier contained. I'm not going to take any action against him. Maybe one of the IB will file a complaint. They seem to have nothing better to do.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

nobody asked you lardo.

Reply to
joe

talking to yourself now, bubble butt?

Reply to
joe

No, but Robert frequently violates all common decency... and doesn't play nice with other children.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Your question lends one to believe you would like to compare apples and oranges. Compare the true cost of a cellphone with that of an alarm system (according to the AG, the law is based on fair market value), a cellphone does not become "real property", there is no labor (which is a whole other story) involved with a cellphone, and a cellphone contract doesn't retain the phone as leased property which many of these secuirty contracts were/are doing. In that case, what are they giving away for free? Something the company holds title to? Interesting........Ditto for your next question.....the satelite dish! They are being investigated along with the lack of licensing.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

With all the lies you tell in this newsgroup Mr. Bass how can anyone believe your "Free alarm system" story?

Now let's see ......it's OK for Mr. Bass to do as he pleases, but not OK for ADT........They must be a competitor of yours, friend.........

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Reply to
thesatguy

Norm, would you please clarify your use of the word "friend"

Would that be the common usage ...... or the Bass version?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.