Blocking Senders from Newsgroup

yep it works...it's called 'plonking' or bozo blocking. only problem is you will see threads with missing posts but in pauls case....who cares right?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®
Loading thread data ...

Select "Message", then "Block Sender". js

Reply to
alarman

I'm using Outlook Express and it doesn't seem to have this feature. The only thing it'll let me do is delete it after I download the message. I'm not going through the trouble of downloading his crap just to have the satisfaction of deleting it. Perhaps a different news reader is better than OE?

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Yes, OE has the feature. Highlight any post from the individual you wish to block. Click "Message" and then click "Block Sender". Answer "yes" to the pop-up question. As others have said this blocks him until he changes his alias.

Alternatively, click once on any post in a thread which does not interest you, then hit [Ctrl-T] and [F5] to dispose of all current messages in that thread. This is a way to quickly narrow the list of posts to those which are of interest to you. It doesn't block future posts though, just cleans up your screen for the moment.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Ah, so the newsgroup messages differ from "Blocked" e-mail messages. Blocked e-mail goes into the deleted items folder whereas blocked newsgroup messages don't appear at all. I learn something new about Mickeysoft every day.

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Mickeysoft Help (which usually isn't much help) says: "When you block a sender or domain, no e-mail or news message from that sender or domain will arrive in your Inbox or in the news messages you read. E-mail from blocked senders goes directly into your Delete folder. Newsgroup messages from blocked senders are not displayed." I'm assuming "blocked" and "filtered" mean the same thing?

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Finally got sick and tired of that idiot Paul. Looking in my newsgroup settings I discovered that you can block senders from appearing in your own list. Has anyone done this and does it work?

Cheers

Reply to
Roger

it does work until the sender changes his address then you start getting them again.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

It works. But RFI frequently changes his address enough to bypass your efforts. He's told us on numerous occasions that he's only interested in warning "new users" of the "dangers" of using wireless alarm products. Best thing to do is simply ignore him... "Don't feed the troll"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Filtered email messages go to deleted item.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Let's see...for Polly....."wireless"...."RFI".......

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Add " hiss " (don't forget the spaces).

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

They do the same thing but are different. If you set up filtering then you use keywords, it searches in the subject, address, or body for those keywords and you can delete it or forward it or many other things.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Try Google Groups, it's web based and there are features in this venue that you don't have access in outlook express.

Regards,

Al

Reply to
securitymission

"low level" is a good one too. He mentions it in damn near every post. ;-)

Reply to
Jackcsg

Well, just got back from an 11,000 km (6600) mile motorcycle tour of the American west, and I see things haven't changed much on the newsgroup. What does stand out is that Paul has become worse in my absence; he definately must be off his meds. Either that, or everyone is baiting him, and being the troll he is, he is only too glad to take the bait...

Good to be back at work in the business as well....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Great to have you back, Bob. I hope the trip was good. I just got back from a much shorter cross-country flight in the (almost) new airplane. The Gulf Coast of Florida is gorgeous this time of year (actually, it's gorgeous all year 'round). Three weeks from now I'm off to Brazil for two months. You ought to come down there next February. Carnaval is awesome in Salvador!

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Good to see you're back home safe, Bob. Looking forward to reading about your "adventure"... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

He missed you RH

Reply to
Mark Leuck

He added a hyphen tonight. Is there a way to block his IP with OE?

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.