In search of the ultimate work shoe.

My buddy swears by Mephistos but I'll be danged if Im gonna spend 285 smackers on a pair or shoes to work in. I'm looking for a really light weigh pair of sneaker-like shoes to work in. It doesn't get cold OR wet here...just hot!... and no way can I wear heavy clodhoppers.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, I can't help you with that one...I am a Walmart kind of guy when it comes to shoes & sneakers...If I feel like spending real big bucks, then I go to Payless Shoes. :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Can't help you. I DOES get cold and wet up here. I wear Wolverine workboots all year long. Only thing is, they don't go to good with a Tux.

Reply to
Jim

Do you have a "Mark's Work WearHouse" in your neck of the woods. The "Dakota" brand of sneakers are excellent. Steel shank and toe with a steel sole insert that's saved my footsies from nasty nails on more than one occasion. They also come in an "Oxford" version for the "high end homes". The last pair I bought were $79.00 CDN (on sale). That was a year and a half ago, and they still polish up to a mirror shine. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Dunno, but that's within my budget so I'll check around. Thanks.

| > Any ideas? | >

| >

| | | Do you have a "Mark's Work WearHouse" in your neck of the woods. The | "Dakota" brand of sneakers are excellent. Steel shank and toe with a | steel sole insert that's saved my footsies from nasty nails on more than | one occasion. They also come in an "Oxford" version for the "high end | homes". The last pair I bought were $79.00 CDN (on sale). That was a | year and a half ago, and they still polish up to a mirror shine. :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've got some Mephistos my wife bought and they are very comfortable, but I keep them as a casual dress shoe. What I have found that seems to work very well is the waterproof steel toe Brahma work/hiking boots at Wal-Mart.

I buy two pairs at a time and I replace them about every 8-10 months keeping the older pairs for nasty work, and send the oldest ones to the mission. There is some hobo with my shoe size who is a very happy guy on a cold winter morning. They are pretty inexpensive.

I originally started wearing these after I broke my leg and smashed my foot because they supported my foot so well. Now they are my everyday wear, even when I go fishing.

THE KEY is to switch pairs everyday letting the other pair dry completely out. Your feet won't stink so bad, and they will feel a lot better.

The nice thing about these is they always seem to have them instock, and I never have to worry about getting a hard time when I go on a job site that is anally safety conscious. I just grab my vest and my hard hat out of the truck and I'm ready to go. (P.S. Speaking of such things... always get your own safety glasses. You will be much happier than using the horrible loaners at various industrial sites.)

My only complaint is the laces don't hold up. so I usually buy several extra pairs of laces for them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Go looking for some australian made boots called Bludstones. They're very light and extremely comfortable. They even have a CSA or equivalent work version available if you do commercial work and there's a Safety Supervisor onsite looking to make sure everyone's got approved footwear on.

What I really like is the no lace approach. You walk into the customer's home and you can just kick them off without having to stoop over.

formatting link
for instance.

I've lived in two pairs (Brown & Black) for the last 3-4 years.

Reply to
Eyeball Kid

Uh, nope. I refuse to work without shoes. js

Reply to
alarman

Me too! It ruins the Santa look in favor of just looking like I am barefoot and pregnant.

Reply to
Roland

The Cougars look pretty cool...and price is not too bad either. I HATE laces too. Thanks for the lead.

R.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No one has mentioned Red Wings.

formatting link
Bobby D

Crash Gord> My buddy swears by Mephistos but I'll be danged if Im gonna spend 285

Reply to
BobbyD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.