Work Ethic, Pride in Workmanship, Sense of Accomplishment

I wonder what ever happened to Graham. I think he was the ne on this group who told me most people absolutely do not have those things. He said, "A tech wants to do as little work as possible for the most amount of money possible PERIOD."

Whether it was him or not... its true. There are rare exceptions and some shades of grey, but generally its true. I think if I had taken him at his word right then and there I would have fired everybody sooner and made a lot more money.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

It's the very reason that I work alone and have for over 20 / 25 (?) years now.

Don't know that I make more money because I have to work longer hours to ac complish what I should be able to accomplish is less then half the time if I had a worker that ------- well ------ worked or that I didn't have to go back and correct stupid mistakes and shortcuts. OR ----- have to go back an d make excuses for someone else's shitty workmanship.

The ono overwhelming benefit ------ I'm happy and enjoy what I do and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in what I do. And ---- I g et paid for it.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

Well said!! So Ditto Ditto Ditto!! I dropped the "employee" thing a quite a few of years ago as well. My thoughts area as follows:

If an employee shows up on time, does the job or task required, efficiently, correctly, the first time, etc. they absolutely DESERVE to be compensated (aka paid) for their time and efforts.

However, if an employee is late, goof off, has to do the task twice or three times, makes mistakes, blows stuff up, can't think past the moment and many other issues, they are absolutely REQUIRED to be paid for their time.

Here on USENET I can't emphasize the capitalized words enough. For starters visualize in BOLD RED typeset.

Then again as age slows me down, I have had a need for help to do certain jobs. I use subs and they work out well since for them to be in their own business they are in, they need a good work ethic. I appreciate that and we work very well together.

I now, also have a part timer on payroll that I use when the subs are not available and when he is free to provide the time. His work ethic is top notch. When I thanked him one day for having such good work ethic, he explained that it was his Dads fault. I told him NOT to lose it!!

Have a good hump day all.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

o accomplish what I should be able to accomplish is less then half the time if I had a worker that ------- well ------ worked or that I didn't have to go back and correct stupid mistakes and shortcuts. OR ----- have to go bac k and make excuses for someone else's shitty workmanship.

ave a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in what I do. And ---- I get paid for it.

I was going to say that you were lucky to have found someone that works to your standards.

But --- I guess if I hadn't given up looking I might have found someone als o. Just took too long looking without finding someone.

I happen to have four new constructions jobs going on at the same time righ t now. Kind of difficult scheduling around all the other contractors. Worki ng from about 8:00 AM till sometimes 10:00 PM so I can weave in and out of the other contractors schedules. I wont go into the scopes of the jobs but the 3 home jobs have varying degrees of alarm, audio, video, whole house au dio, CCTV, and internet wiring. One home has 15 audio glass break detectors . The one commercial job has 20 Internet/telephone ports, Office music sys tem, Alarm, TV's and CCTV. all wiring above 16 foot drop ceiling.

I went for my physical the other day and the doc asked me if I was getting any exercise.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

Sound like me about 5 years ago. Three or four big projects in the works. Then out of no where I get a call on Thursday from Customer #1 that they are ready to drywall next Monday. Then an hour or so later get a call from Customer #2 that they will be ready for rough in Monday. Then or Friday get a call from Customer #3 that the final coat of paint is on the walls and will be ready for equipment install next week. Uncontrollable chaos........................ One guy can only be at one place at one time. It is just a what it is. Juggling multiple balls is cruel and unusual punishment!! Drop one ball and you might as well pull in the dirt. :-)

BTW my Doctor asked the same thing and I just laughed as well. However, just in case you didn't figure it out. What he really should have said was. "Are you getting any exercise ABOVE and BEYOND your normal daily activities??

I am not and have never been a exercise person. I even have a few exercise gyms as customers and they have give me a free pass to use the facilities. I went twice a few years ago just to see how it was. It wasn't for me. I do realize it would be helpful but.............

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yeah but ----- if you weren't doing all that work you'd be going to the gym to exercise ;->

AND --- What do you mean HELPFUL ???

I just don't see how lugging an 8 foot or 20 foot ladders around all day, (

10 hours or more) climbing them 50 to 80 times (because I drop a lot of shi t), balancing without holding on while sorting/splicing/mounting things. Tr eking up and down basement and second floor stairways, Unloading and loadin g multiple 40/50 pound boxes of wire from the van along with tool boxes and multiple trips back and forth to the van for other tools -------- My iPhon e says that I average close to 5000 steps a day, which is about 2 miles.

---------- and that doesn't qualify as exercise !!!!!

I think that retired people who go to the gym to exercise don't do that and need to get up off their fat ass and get a job before they go brain dead w hile they're watching TV on a treadmill.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

Relax, chill out!! I understand totally.

Have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.