If it weren't for the customers, this job would be the sh*t

Got one for ya.

I'm on my way to a job when I get a call from another customer. In short, the phone man is talking smack about how my alarm panel is shorting the line in her house. I divert (btw, it's already 4:30pm) and head on over.

When I get there I systematically track down the problem and keep the customer posted:

1. The problem does not exist in the phone wire I pulled, the RJ31X I installed, or the panel I hung.

-told customer (and probably should've left it at that.)

1. It's an old d-mark.... I find the pair that actually has the short and trace it to where a screw in the BRAND NEW decking in her attic has pierced the wire. Repaired wire.

-told customer (really should've left. This time she goes into how wonderful I am compared to the phone man who wouldn't even come in her house and insulted her dogs...)

1. Identified all phone jacked in her house BY NUMBER (one fax line, one house line).

-told customer (saw it coming... but I was waist deep in sh*t by then)

1. Re-routed lines at d-mark to put the house line on the jacks she specified.

Job done.... it's 7:00pm.... and now she is refusing to pay our bill because "we are out of line for charging so much."

see subject title for anecdote....

Reply to
S. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Because of after hours that 2.5 hours could easily be a $300.00 and some change service call. ($281.25 plus tax for one man). If that's what got charged, she shouldn't be complaining.

Reply to
Roland Moore

So offer to go back - on your own time, of course, no charge to her - and put all her wiring back the way it was when you found it.

Then she can get a quote from the phone guy.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Been there, done that, had the t-shirt stolen off my back.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Good one.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Have you ever actually SEEN t-shirts stolen off someone's back?

Just curious

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Welp...what I usually tell customers like that is; no problem at all, we'll come right over and put it back the way it was for free and she won't have to pay anything. And, we have actually done just that a few times.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yeah, I've had this happen to me a couple of times before. I've learned my lesson and simply "just don't do it." When you do that, now you take liability with all phones and phone lines in the house. A lightning strike 2 days later takes out the kitchen phone and you get the phone call cuz you were the last guy to touch the phone lines. And since you charged them for it, now the customer feels that they have some expressed warranty. I'm a friendly helpful guy by nature but, sometimes you just gotta so "no." Hate to be like that, cuz it goes against my nature. In this case, I probably would have determined the problem not be with the panel, jack or line, and may have even located the problem for them but would have simply instructed them to have the telco make the repair. If the customer had insisted I fix it right there on the spot, I would have, but I would have put a disclamer in my notes on my service ticket and had them sign it prior to doing the work.

Reply to
Ratchet442

I used to hang out with bikers. I've seen all kinds of dumb things. Most I would not admit to.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I haven't heard of a Mean Streak before, I don't keep up with motorcycles much anymore. Watch out for those Burgmans

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You ARE a biker, Bob. There are no EX bikers. js

Reply to
alarman

Why are you screwing around with a piddly 200CC automatic? (I think that was the automatic)

The turbo was an excellent bike although not any more power than the standard 650 Seca, what were you doing with the Paughco?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not an automatic. It was a free motorcycle, and I got it running a while back. It even came with all the parts it needs to make it right. I figure to fix it up, throw some street knobbies on it and use it around the new house (5 acre farm site)

Really? You could get the same speed and acceleration out of the regular

650 without dealing with the turb lag time? That would be incredible.

I was gonna put a CB750 in it, but time ran short and somebody offered me cash for the various parts so off it went. The 750 that is. I still have the front end off the Paughco.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That was the bad part of that bike, If I remember Yamaha tried to reduce the turbo boost to make it a more "civilized" bike compared to the Honda CX500 Turbo and the Suzuki 650 Turbo, in the end they got an excellent bike with no major advantage over the stock 650 other than a damn nice looking fairing. I almost bought one.

Those three bikes were way ahead of their time, too bad they only lasted a couple of years, my favorite period for motorcycling was 1980 to about 1987, after that they all started looking too much alike and I lost interest

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Interesting. I only ever had one other 650. That was the Yamaha Heritage Special (XS650). It had nowhere near the gut wrenching acceleration or the top speed of the Seca Turbo. That Seca was easily the fastest bike I have ever owned. I had it radared once by a friendly highway patrolman on a stretch of old highway. I hit 165 and was still accelerating when I shut it down. The end of the road was looking way to close for me at that speed. I would have made a couple more runs, but he got a call and had to go.

Look at my list and guess which bike was the next fastest of all those I have owned.

Third...

Fourth...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well that Heritage was a twin so I could see why it didn't have the acceleration, I had a Suzuki 650 Tempter with the same configuration that couldn't crack 100

I hate to question you but there is no way a Turbo Seca could have ever gone that fast or even close to 165. The fastest turbo bike made from the big 4 was the Kawasaki 750 and it topped out at 150. I had a Suzuki GS1150 that would do 140. That trooper needed to get his gun fixed

The CB750?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not even close. 75 GL1000 Had two of them. One was bone stock and would run about 135. The other had mac headers and was rejetted, it would clear

140. Its pretty funny because my 4 carb GL1200 standard barely hit 125.

VROD was proably next at 130-131. I hear the new bigger VROD is a little faster.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've done 135-140 on a couple bikes and I know what it feels like. This was way faster than that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hmmm... upon doing some research I see what you are saying I see speeds listed for it on-line from 125-140. I also noticed something else interesting. They mention that the 82 developed about 7PSI of boost and the

83 developed about 12. (there was a mod for the 82 to make it produce 12 also. Mine didn't flatten out until just a hair under 16 PSI according to the boost gage. Since I was not the original owner I suspect it had been modified slightly. Probably the waste gate was pinned shut, and maybe a slight rejet to take advantage of that extra air. That would make a significant difference in top end.

I didn't have it long before it moved on to be replaced with a more comfortable ride, so I guess I can never grab my portable GPS and double check it now. Actually I pretty much hated it. It was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. I had it for about 3 weeks before I got rid of it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I was wondering about the Gold Wing but I looked at the later bloated version not the older one, I rode the '75 once without all the fairing and it was an attractive and peppy bike.

I noticed you had a CX500, I had the CX650 they made in 83, I loved the Guzzi-like engine although the puny gas tank and virtually no reserve made long distance riding impossible. Best overall bike I ever had was the last one I owned which was a 1981 Suzuki GS750, on one trip I rode that from Dallas to Gettysburg PA to Toronto Ca and back.

I've always preferred Suzuki sport bikes but from that list you don't seem to have a preference for brand or type, any reason why?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.