FS : off topic here ?

Hello All, been reading the group for a week or so. Haven't seen anything listed for sale. Can anyone tell me a good group to sell fire alarm, security etc. or is FS posts considered "on-topic" here ?

I tried listing 1 piece on ebay to no avail :

formatting link
No bids or watches on it and it ends in 1 day. Maybe I listed it in the wrong category ? Anyway, I have a lot of equipment to sell. If anyone knows the proper group or forum i'd appreciate a heads up. Not sure I want to waste more time on ebay. The above listing took about 2 hours just took get the photo up ! TIA , Mark

Reply to
dangerwill1
Loading thread data ...

The occasional FS post is not frowned upon, and is on topic.

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link

Heh, nobody in this group, with the possible exception of Bob LaLonde and maybe Graham knows what the heck that is.

Reply to
alarman

It depends on whom you ask. This newsgroup is about alarms and most of the other stuff that alarm companies sell, install, service or monitor. As long as what you're selling is somewhat related to alarms or other stuff alarm companies get involved in, go for it. Your posts will be far more on-topic than some discussions here.

formatting link
One dollar?!? No one did? That's absurd. Those monomode units wholesale for $175.00

I experimented with eBay a couple of times. For me it was a waste of time. Others seem to do quite well there. I only sell new, factory fresh stuff so your items won't help me but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the regular dealers here take an interest.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

formatting link

The group's FAQ is here:

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

formatting link

The "downside" (as it were) to usenet is, of course, that outside of moderated groups, such "rules" are really only suggestions. In other words, you can post your FS ads and all anyone can do about it is complain endlessly.

It's a fact that Bass relies on.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I've used American Fibertech x-mitter & receivers, and they go for way more than the $50 this guy is asking.

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link
>

^ Insert Space. LOL.

It took me a second to realize what it was. I've used fiber translators once or twice, but most of the time cost is a factor, and unless there is pre-existing unused fiber its usually cheaper to run twisted pair and powered baluns. For single camera applications its sometimes cheaper to run wireless links, but GOOD wireless is not cheap either.

Speaking of fiber... On one network I have had the fortune to install DVRs on they connect two facilities with fiber under the road. The switch fed by the fiber run is much busier than the switch at the head end. They have really nice 10/100 auto switches, that do some cool management for optimum band width utilization. Unfortunately they connect up with remote servers via VPN. No big deal in the lower utilization main office, but it can be a problem in the much busier facility across the street. Why? Because they only have a 10mbps ethernet fiber translator. Geez people. These things aren't expensive anymore. Not when you consider the time wasted for 20-30 people trying to work and waiting on their connection to clear. Heck it even slows down on a busy afternoon when accessing their local servers.

I had harped on their IT personnel about the problem the entire time I was installing the video systems. Then they complained to me after I was done about the speed of accessing the DVRs from some areas of the facility(s) during the afternoon. I walked the managers over and pointed to all the pretty little blinky lights on their switch. Everyday they get busy in the afternoon, and every day everything on one half of their network slows dow in the afternoon.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

DEAD UNIT STILL GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND

I had an ECO 4 80 fail last week on Friday. I called in, and got the run around by tech support before they finally said, "Yep the unit is dead." That wasted an hour of my time.

Finally I talked to you guys in customer service and was told we could get a new replacement through our regular distributor shipped out if necessary from you guys red label overnight. "Cool," I thought. "some good customer service."

I commented that the customer would still be out of service over the weekend since it was a Friday, and the person I spoke with said, yeah sorry, that Monday would be when I could expect to see it. As it is a good customer I spent most of the day working around the shop waiting for the unit to show up. Finally I called the distributor who followed up on it and said, "Sorry. They didn't even ship it until today." (after making multiple calls himself to get through to you guys.)

Now why in the heck would your customer service person imply I would have the unit today when what they really should have said, was "Sorry, there is no chance at all you will see that unit on Monday. We aren't even going to pack it up until Monday."

I'm peeved. Your units cost me more than some of the alternatives. Customer service, and reliability would be some good reasons to pay the difference except this unit failed after only two weeks in service. Then you guys made me look bad to my customer and let me think I would get the replacement unit today when you knew there was no chance of that happening. Maybe quick knowledgable tech support might help, but I had to play the game for an hour first instead of them just telling me, "a brand new unit shouldn't do that, lets replace it." Strike three.

Geez guys. I make the final decision on what products we use. Is it time for me to look at somebody else?

Bob La Londe

The Security Consultant P.O. Box 5720 Yuma, Az 85366

(928) 782-9765 ofc (928) 782-7873 fax

License Communications Contractor Residential & Commercial since 1994 ROC103044 & ROC103047

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oops. Wrong cut and paste.

Here is what I meant to post:

formatting link
>

^ Insert Space. LOL.

It took me a second to realize what it was. I've used fiber translators once or twice, but most of the time cost is a factor, and unless there is pre-existing unused fiber its usually cheaper to run twisted pair and powered baluns. For single camera applications its sometimes cheaper to run wireless links, but GOOD wireless is not cheap either.

Speaking of fiber... On one network I have had the fortune to install DVRs on they connect two facilities with fiber under the road. The switch fed by the fiber run is much busier than the switch at the head end. They have really nice 10/100 auto switches, that do some cool management for optimum band width utilization. Unfortunately they connect up with remote servers via VPN. No big deal in the lower utilization main office, but it can be a problem in the much busier facility across the street. Why? Because they only have a 10mbps ethernet fiber translator. Geez people. These things aren't expensive anymore. Not when you consider the time wasted for 20-30 people trying to work and waiting on their connection to clear. Heck it even slows down on a busy afternoon when accessing their local servers.

I had harped on their IT personnel about the problem the entire time I was installing the video systems. Then they complained to me after I was done about the speed of accessing the DVRs from some areas of the facility(s) during the afternoon. I walked the managers over and pointed to all the pretty little blinky lights on their switch. Everyday they get busy in the afternoon, and every day everything on one half of their network slows dow in the afternoon.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Speaking of fiber, indeed! I'm sure you've already heard about GE buying out and closing the Canadian facilities of IFS. We're getting orders two to five times a day for IFS. Every existing stock of the stuff is drying up or completely gone already. Now we're being told it will be 3-5 weeks before they ship anything. Yikes!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Actually, the so-called "FAQ" on Mr. Olson's website is not really a FAQ, much less a set of rules. It was a suggestion submitted by someone who hasn't participated in ASA for many years. No one voted on it and none of the ISPs which own Usenet ever gave it recognition. The reality is that almost without exception, no one adheres to the ideas in that page, including Mr. Olson and the above poster.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

NO ............ ACTUALLY, ...... when the group was set up, you decided that you weren't going to follow the outline of behavior that the founder Steve Ryckman had proposed for participants of ASA. Although for the first two or three years every one tip toed around your instigative and inciteful behavior, eventually people had enough of you and started giving you back your own type of nastyness. Through the years you have methodically and deliberately and at every opportunity disrupted and literally destroyed this group by your disgusting and arrogant conduct. Now, there is NO reason at all, to make any attempt at civility in the aftermath of your calculated and explict intent to do only what YOU want to do without any consideration for the FAQ or for what anyone else wanted this group to be.

So be it. Now it's not anything that either you or anyone who comes here wants it to be. As anyone can see, there is no organized plan to make it that way ..... it's that way because each individual who has participated in this Newsgroup long enough knows EXACTLY what it is that you are and what you have been the cause of. Not only in this Newsgroup but in all the others you have participated and ruined in the past .... which can be proved and you cannot deny. If you would have behaved and tried to get along with others and not tried to force your way in this group, things would be a lot different. You've learned that you can't have your way without consequences. Just think what it could have been like here, if it wasn't for you. We'll get to experience that ...... soon.

But you can be sure of one thing. You can be sure it will stay the way it is now, for as long as you are alive to witness it. Which wont be long now.

Reply to
Jim

There is, of course the "original purpose message" which, in fact, resulted in the creation of this group. You continue to choose to ignore it, and *that*, sir, is your most damning indictment. Your forays into USENET are all well documented, Bob. It doesn't take much for anyone to discern your tactics. From our one and only telephone conversation you struck me as a man desperate to gain acceptance and woe to anyone that voices an opinion contrary to yours or points out something as simple as the mathematical "error" you continue to make (let alone the blatant mistakes on your websites). The arithmetic is minor, but to continue to promote Napco Firewolf two wire smokes as compatible with DSC's family of control panels is outright criminal.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Heh... "Mr. Olson"... Coffee anyone??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Just Looking

Even heavy commercial integrators don't use fiber that often. And getting it used is not what typically happens either. If you needed back stock for maintenance items it might be helpful.

formatting link

Reply to
Just Looking

We've been getting RFQs and orders for fiber optic components fairly regularly for some time now. Most of the orders come from large, corporate clients and government / military buyers. The temporary loss of IFS is going to hurt for a few weeks.

The important question is which products will GE continue and will they be available through distribution. Ordering direct from GE is a royal pain. You frequently have to wait a long time on hold just to reach a sales rep. Also, GE's online support is a nightmare, whereas IFS' site is excellent. I just hope GE keeps the IFS site up for a while.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Don't see you registered under the CCR registration or on the GSA or Snaps 2 schedule program. This is where the government and military have to buy under pricing guidelines and from those that are registered. They can only buy incidental items outside the schedules, which amounts wouldn't support your idea of dedicating a website to government/military. Besides, the margins are so low that you would have to cut your parties down in size and charge admission.You won't get a RFQ/RFP unless you are registered. So, that could only mean your typing skills have been diminished to just typing lies that are meant to boost your image in the industry and/or to impress the DIYers. Won't fly. Nice try.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You not seeing something doesn't mean it's not there. It just means you didn't see it.

When I first started an online store to augment my brick and mortar alarm sompany, other folks in the trade said pretty much the same thing -- there's not enough DIY business out there to make it worth your while. Needless to say, they were wrong. As to government buying outside GSA, the limits vary from agency to agency. I'm perfectly content (for now) fulfilling $3-30K orders from this place and that, along with all the non-governmental orders as well. FYI, there's a nice set-aside for small business which allows even small companies like mine to compete. In addition to government buyers, we are also getting routine orders from major corporate giants.

Not any time soon, friend. The margines run almost the same as to the general public and payments for larger orders are always by check or wire transfer.

I am and I do. You just don't know.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.