GRE, maybe off topic

Hi, I am deploying several PIX for a customer. The deal in this deployment in to route GRE traffic through a VPN on DSL.

I have no clues on GRE, just that it gets ok through a VPN and that it is ip-proto-47.

What could be, in terms of applications, in those GRE tunnels?

Could it be Novell traffic or RIP stuffs?

Thanks,

/edgar

Reply to
"Edgar® du
Loading thread data ...

Anything. That's why it's called Generic Routing Encapsulation. It's used to tunnel IP. Common applications include GRE tunnels from IOS router to IOS router that may then be protected by IPSec. This scenario gives you a dedicated tunnel interface on the routers - which simple crypto maps don't. Another popular Application is Microsoft's PPTP VPN protocol.

If you pass GRE through a firewall, you cannot control anything that is going on inside that tunnel. My general attitude is: "don't".

HTH, Patrick

Reply to
Patrick M. Hausen

You should only need the GRE tunnel if your going to use some thing like EIGRP to do your routing. otherwise you can use static routes. The PIX won't forward broadcast traffic, but with a GRE tunnel you can

""Edgar® du Luxembourg® (promoted!)"" wrote in message news:dg9vlj$o4a$ snipped-for-privacy@news.brutele.be...

Reply to
smoove

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.