On Topic: PIR LED off or on afer installer walk test?

There are pro and cons to leaving the LED *on* a PIR after you walk test it and leave the installation.

Honeywell wireless PIRs specifically state to turn off the LED after the walk test to conserve battery life.

The LEDs do get annoying for the occupant, especially at night when you just want darkness and watch TV. A PIR in the master bedroom with a bright light is downright annoying.

The LEDs reassure the customer the damn thing is still working. Less service calls?

The LED can "tip off" a potential burglar (think inside job at a retail establishment) to blind spots. He has time to study the protected area and it's no coverage area with the LED on.

So......

The big question:

Do you leave the LED on or off in an ideal installation? The Cx will know you turned it off - so leave instructions to walk test it with the keypad for them.

Personally, 99.5% of my hardwired PIRs were left with the LED on. I'm thinking it may be better to turn them off for the annoyance factor and someone able to "case" the joint.

What say you all?

LED on or off?

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the installation but most customers want on.

Reply to
NickMark

In my experience, those little blinking lights become an old comforting friend to the home owner. Interestingly, I don't notice the motions in my house, unless the lights go out. Guess I'm used to seeing them in the corner of my eye.

As installers, we know there are going to be dead spots. IMHO, part of placing them professionally is to try and make it so there's either no way to and from the dead spots or that the dead spots won't do an intruder much good.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Exactly!!!

Reply to
Jim

Back when I did commercial systems, I was sneaky because the customer wanted higher security and was interested in catching any insiders who may wish to case the joint. Some of the PIR/microwave motion detectors had the LED left on and some of the motion detectors were hidden just like I'd set up the cameras. Fake cameras and the real ones hidden. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.