Slightly off topic: Motion Det. Lights

This is a security issue since motion-triggered outside lighting is a first-line deterrent.

Why don't the darned things work reliably? My home is on its fourth unit (in 4 years). I am about to give up. They work for a while and then get goofy. Stay on, quit entirely, cycle, false trip, and so on.

My latest unit has a battery-powered, remote sensor and that was great for a while ... no false tripping and no lock-ups or cycling. Now, it too has gone goofy after 6 months. Yes, I put in new AAs.

Checking with neighbors who also have motion activated lights reveals the same complaints.

Thought that I'd ask here as you folks have lots of experience with this kind of technology.

Reply to
Charles Schuler
Loading thread data ...

Maybe they're junky ones? The ones I have (for 8 years) work fine, but they don't have batteries, so not sure which ones you're talking about.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I live in the Northeast, big range of temperatures ..... I don't seem to have trouble with mine. One thing I will say though. Both of mine are mounted under the soffets. Not exposed and not facing south. Another thing .... anything that is exposed to the weather and has a battery in it .... isn't going to last too long, regardless what you pay for it.

When I do get a motion detector, I try to get the most expensive one they have .... that fit's my needs...... which usually isn't that expensive.

Reply to
Jim

We've been having good luck with ones from Home Depot...about 50 bucks for double halogen with auto dim (which is nice). If they can stand up to a couple of years in desert sun they're ok in my book. Out here you're lucky to get 2 years on a car battery no matter what they're rated at!

I live in the Northeast, big range of temperatures ..... I don't seem to have trouble with mine. One thing I will say though. Both of mine are mounted under the soffets. Not exposed and not facing south. Another thing .... anything that is exposed to the weather and has a battery in it .... isn't going to last too long, regardless what you pay for it.

When I do get a motion detector, I try to get the most expensive one they have .... that fit's my needs...... which usually isn't that expensive.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

formatting link
Used them for years never have had a problem other than the occasional defective unit which has maybe happened 2 times in 20 years of using them.

Reply to
ssokoly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.