DVR

Anyone have any recommendations on DVR technology? I have a 4 channel DVR but it doesn't cut it. First generation DVR technology and very grainy at night.

Reply to
patrick.hurley
Loading thread data ...

The poor performance at night is probably due to the cameras and or lighting conditions, not the DVR.

What cameras and DVR do you have and what are you hoping to achieve

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

As Doug mentioned grainy images are probably due to cameras. If you are using night vision, you can get IR illuminators to light up the place at night.

I have been using Nuvico for DVR - and they work great. It is not converted from a PC, and it's a standalone machine, you can add a harddrive to increase capacity, take backups to USB and CD. The rest of the specs are the same as other DVRs.

Baris

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Reply to
bart

I am using Smarthome's most expensive color camera with more IR illuminators than you can shake a stick at. I am wondering if this it is just not a good camera.

Here is the URL:

formatting link

Doug L wrote:

Reply to
patrick.hurley

What night vision camera would you recommend?

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Reply to
patrick.hurley

Most DVRs have picture quality control that lets you choose between quality and storage. Better pictures = shorter archive. If you had yours setup for most storage, you'll really sacrifice quality. Additionally, pictures on DVRs are usually grainier than your analog monitor viewing because you don't have the CRT pixel smearing that smoothes out any sharp edges. On top of that, you always have some quality loss due to compression, even at high quality setting and also, especially on those PC converts, you are watching the picture on a monitor that has resolution much higher than your camera and all the pixels look blown up.

The camera that you got from Smarthome looks quite OK as far as its spec. It's actually better then just OK, it looks great. Make sure you have all the DIP switches (if any) in correct positions for AGC and backlight compensation (depending on the actual lighting condition at the site). You also want to make sure the camera is not looking directly at some light source that you might have missed when installing camera during a day.

Good luck!

D~

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 19016 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

I've got a couple of these on the shelf and they seem to do pretty good at night.

formatting link
Haven't had any in service long enough to tell you about their durability. Just played with them to see how well they light things up.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, is it using a board camera? How's the resolution at night? How much did it cost? Are the connections weather protected? Were you able to tell who the manufacturer is? Do you know if they come with other lenses? What are the actual dimensions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim

Sorta, but all cameras are board cameras. LOL. Has a bigger lens than most though.

Decent out to about 30 or 40 feet.

I won't give delaer prices on the group. If yer a dealer call SCD and ask them.

No, but I can modify that easy enough.

No.

Does not.

About the same as a regular outdoor housing.

Yer welcome

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.