DSConnected

Once again It was a pleasure to disconect a DSC 832 panel which was misbehaving this makes 12 power 832 I have replaced because bad install or panel just going insane for no reason.When DSC first came out I really liked there product but then started having all kinds of problems once they got 3-5 years out.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz
Loading thread data ...

Moose Z-1100's. js

Reply to
alarman

What are you replacing them with???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Oh Nooooooooooooo, Not those...... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

they had pretty lcd keypads though. actually they weren't all that bad for the time. i HATED the on/off switch in the box though.

| > Moose Z-1100's. | > js | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ademco Vista 128b or FB replaces them or vista 20p

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

You can keep the 20P's, the processor in those is limited... I'll take the Napco P3200 over the over-priced 20P any day, the P3200 doesn't have a problem with Multi-tasking, the 20P does... If you want Multi-tasking from Ademco the 50P, 128BP, & 250BP are good, but expensive...

Reply to
Russell Brill

What on earth are you talking about?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

We also had bad luck with the power 832's, of course the rep told me I was the only one having significant problems. I have replaced about 1/4 of what we had installed with ademco panels. I like all the features that dsc has but the reliability is no good :(

James

Reply to
J Barnes

multitasking? what, you want it to protect your house and also mow the lawn at the same time?

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No, that's NOT what I'm talking about... The processor in the 20P only has ONE timer, if several events that require the timer happen simultaneously the 20P will only execute one... That SUCKS when you've paid $100 or more for a panel........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Dunno, i only use timer for daily test.

| >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Heck I use it on mine for everything, tests, arming/disarming etc

simultaneously

Multi-tasking

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What kinda problems are you guys having? I've got over 700 accounts with the the DSC product installed and over 500 of them are the "Power Series". What is or isn't happening with yours? We've seen absolutely no problems that would make me want to change.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I had a few fail about 5 years ago because of defective bridge rectifiers. Since that time I have had no issues. I use the 5010, 5020, and 1555 regularly with no problems. The wireless is good. I suspect a lot of installers overload the power supplies, which are good for only 500ma or so. js

Reply to
alarman

I have about 250 of the Power series installed, and my problems although few overall are:

1- Power rectifiers dying...in one case, even catching fire 2- Miscellaneous supervisory problems sending unknown signals to the central 3- Some strange troubles only cleared via the "power down / power up" routine 4- Many problems with the DSC wireless....losing touch, strange and unexplained alarm trips.

They seem to be a decent line of panels overall, although my service records show them no where near as trouble free as the other line I use (Paradox)

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I am not going to say that I was surprised by the post concerning problems, but I just haven't seen them.With as many DSC panels as we have out there and going through 6 hurricanes in the last two years with no problems, I want to know if there is a time laiden problem with this product. Remember the old Moose 911? It started to sporadically loose its programming after about 10 years. On the wireless side of DSC, have you tried that new receiver adaptor, connecting the 900 and 433 Mhz devices, yet?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

As you know, I am monitoring and servicing 244 Paradox panels. They too, have been trouble free so far. I did notice, when I first started dealing with these, that it appears that Paradox and DSC are almost exact in their programming. Did Paradox pick up DSC engineers or something? It is to close to be a coincidence. Even their terminology is the same.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You arm/disarm on scheds for a residence?

I find that most clients never have a need for scheds...or if they do its short-term.

What else do you use them for in residential?

I used to run my lawn sprinklers off of my XR200 but frankly it was easier to put them back on the regular timer so the landscapers could adjust them.

| >

| > | >

| > | > | >

| > | > | | > | > | | > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Dunno Bob, although nothing surprises me in this industry anymore !!

One useful feature that Paradox has is the "intellizoning" feature (double trip of a motion within a set period, or two motions in that same time period, for the alarm to trigger). Provided it is set up properly, it's a useful false alarm feature..

I think DSC call a similiar feature "cross zoning" or something like that.....

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.