Door Phone on BCM 400

Hi

We have a door phone setup on a BCM400. For security reasons we have it setup so that it's not possible to dial in from an outside line and open the door. However is there anyway of restricting which extensions can dial the door phone extension and thus prevent everyone who has a handset from opening the door. In our case we actually have the door opening controller opening a lorry gate, but that's beside the point.

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Jeremy/Bullfrog

Reply to
google
Loading thread data ...

What about creating a restriction filter with the door phone dn and assign it to the extensions not allowed to access the door phone? Those allowed to open the door would have an unrestricted filter.

Brian Cox

formatting link

Reply to
Brian Cox

Hi

Sorry for the long delay - misplaced my login/password. And thanks for the suggestion.

Apparently we have tried this and either the filter is being ignored or the exact words of the phone administrator was the extension is being overridden. Perhaps we are doing it wrong, do you know for a fact that this should work with extension numbers?

Thanks again

Jeremy

Reply to
google

I tried this on our BCM and the filter is only valid on outside calls, not intercom calls. Are all phones in the paging group assigned to the doorphone? Couldn't you just unassign the phones from the paging group that you don't want opening the gate? As I understand any phone that is signalled by the doorphone will see an unlock button on their softkey. If a phone isn't signalled it won't see this softkey. Or can the gate be opened another way?

Reply to
Brian Cox

This is the reason I have usually selected doorphones that are NOT manufactured by Nortel. They link to the system through a standard POTS interface, allowing dialing restrictions to be applied, and most of them allow for DTMF to open the door.

Reply to
Jeff

In addition to using the paging group anyone you can just dial the door phones extension from any extension and press the key assigned to open the door, if you don't know which key is assigned to open the door just press each key once, 0-9, # and * . You eventually will get the correct key to open it. If this was a computer system it would be logged as a serious security flaw.

I'm intrigued by the pots method, I'm assuming we are not talking analog extensions here as they would fall foul of the same problem. Do you dedicate an outgoing pstn connection just for a analog/pots door phone?

Jeremy

Reply to
google

I used an AT&T door phone controller on a Norstar MICS years ago. It interfaced through an unused CO line port. This type of setup would be subject any restrictions you set up.

Brian Cox

formatting link

Reply to
Brian Cox

Here are some good door phones:

formatting link
Yes, if you use a trunk port on the BCM/Norstar you can restrict who dials it. b

Reply to
bjsvec

Yes. . .dedicate the outgoing POTS line just for the door phone(s). Usually, they will have some sort of controller that will allow you to have multiple doorphones (if necessary) with only a single POTS interface. I've found that this is the best way to do it. As someone else mentioned, Viking is a good manufacturer for this.

Another intriguing option is the use of an IP doorphone. Valcom makes a few models, getting their power from a PoE port and using SIP to integrate with the BCM. I haven't personally tried this yet, but it should work, and it also means you don't have to dedicate a line to the IP doorphone.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi

I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments, help and suggestions on this. Very much appreciated.

Jeremy/Bullfrog

Reply to
google

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.