PARTNER MLS-12 phone system problem

I have a PARTNER MLS-12 system which has suddenly developed a small problem. I had my Call Forwarding stored on one of the Auto Dial Buttons. Now the button doesn't work, so I went through the re-store procedure(FEATURE +0 0, etc.) but it doesn't seem to store there. It will auto-dial the call forwarding sequence only once, and then become inoperative again. Apparently it isn't "saving" the sequence, and I have to manually go through the Call Forwarding procedure every time. Can some one help me with this problem please??

Reply to
RXJR
Loading thread data ...

You have to set it up first, and then enable it. Are you programming it to a button with a light? If so, you should see a green light if the function is enabled. If there is no light, just press the button again.

Here is an exerpts from Partner 3 programming manual(I picked version 3 for whatever reason , but you should have posted your processor version here):

From the System phone: To program a Call Forwarding button:

1. Press feature 0 0 sys.prog sys. prog. central tel program at extension
10 or 11.
  1. Enter the number of the extension to be programmed with this feature.
  2. Press a programmable button, preferably a button with lights.
  3. At this point, you can do one of the following: n Press f 1 1. n Press f 1 1 and the number of the originating extension. n Press f 1 1, the number of the originating extension, and the number of the destination extension.
  4. Program another button for this extension or exit programming mode.

Standard Phone To forward your calls:

1. Lift the handset. You hear intercom dial tone.
  2. Press # 1 1.
  3. Dial your extension number.
  4. Dial the number of the extension at which you want your calls to ring. To remove Call Forwarding:
  5. Lift the handset. You hear intercom dial tone.
  6. Press # 1 1.
  7. Dial your extension number twice.
Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Thanks for the prompt reply Dimitri.

You say I must set it up and enable it first...I don't use extensions, and have only had this Call Forwarding sequence programmed into the "master station". When I first set it up several years ago, I think I just used the sequence:

1. Press Feature 0 0
  2. Press the desired Auto Dial button (no lights on the button)
  3. Dial in the Call Forwarding telephone number
  4. Press Feature 0 0.

The Call Forwarding (and separate Call Forwarding cancel Auto Button) worked o.k. for several years, until they stopped functioning recently. I tried this same set up again, and it will save it for one use, then nothing.

I have the PARTNER manual, Release 4.0, and followed "Changing Settings at the User's Phone", steps 1, 2, 3 and 5 on page 5-4

I don't find a "sys.prog" or "central.tel program" buttons mentioned in your instructions. Does this change your thoughts???

- - - -

Reply to
RXJR

"System Program" and "Central Tel Program" are just labels that come from the programming overlay. On the actual phone they are intercom 1 for system and intercom 2 for central tel.

I'm not quite sure why it does not store the settings that you set up. I am aware of memory loss on power failure problem on older systems, but if you are sure the power to the system was not interrupted, this would not be the case.

In any case, I noticed that you use a no-light button. Call forwarding is for sure one of the functions you want to program onto a button WITH light. This way you always know if it's enabled or not.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

It sounds to me like the original poster is talking about programming an outside speed dial on a button that dials the "varible call forwarding" string to forward incoming calls to the answering service. Ya know, "72#p5551212", and to cancel, (on another button), "73#".

Now, the sequence is to go the the particular phone that you want to program these button onto, and with the handset in the cradle,

Feature 00 Press the button Dial the telephone number (using "Hold" for pause) Feature 00

If you have a display phone, press the button once again after you dial the telephone number, and you can confirm that the sequence has been stored.

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

Touch Tone Tommy -

You correctly describe my situation, and I have been using the exact procedure you mention, but it isn't holding. You also mention a power failure possibility. The "works" for my PARTNER system is out in the locked hallway telephone room for my office building. Perhaps I should call the telephone company and ask for a Tech to come out and check the power supply to the "works". IF the power had failed to the master unit ("works") out in the hallway room, would my MLS-12 phones work here in the office??

- - - -

Reply to
RXJR

Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned it, but yes, the Partner, Partner Plus and Partner II processors all contain nicad batteries that keep the programming in the memory chips during a power failure. After a number of years, the batteries fail to hold a charge, meaning that when the power comes back on, the system is at default settings. Since you mention that your phones are MLS-12's, which haven't been produced for a number of years, this is probably the case. Get the closet unlocked, program your phone, cycle the power off and back on, and see if the programming has been erased. If so, you need to contact a vendor about replacing the processor, or purchasing a new ACS processor instead. Unfortunatly, the nicad batteries are soldered to the circuit board inside, and it's not an easy fix for someone who is not familiar with the hardware and soldering techniques to replace them.

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

TTT -

The Nicad batteries being down makes a lot of sense. I'll see what I can do to get that checked out. Thanks a lot for your help!

- - -

Reply to
RXJR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.