Door Openers

I'm hoping one of you can point me in the right direction.

We have a cat that is indoor/outdoor. We like to keep him in at night as that is when the coyotes roam around here, and cats are ideal meals for them. Unfortunately, despite the fact that we have a litter box inside, he decided long ago that he did not like it and insists on going outside. Used to be he'd start howling to go out around 5-5:30 am, which is not bad since that's the time I usually get up for work. Lately it's been anywhere from

2:30 to 4 am, which is disruptive to our sleep as we have to put on a robe and go downstairs to open the door between the house and the garage (we have a cat door so he can get out from there).

Anyone know of some sort of powered door opener with remote that we could put on that door between house and garage so we could just open it from our bed?

Thanks!

Sue

Reply to
Sue
Loading thread data ...

You're an engineer. You're asking THIS group??

Reply to
alarman

Yes. There is a powered door available. You mount the transmitter on your pet's collar which unlocks the pet door when the your pet gets near it. Home Depot carries this one:

formatting link
Jim Rojas

Sue wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

No, I don't want HIM to have control, I want ME to have control. But thanks anyway.

I'm talking about something to open the BIG door between the house and garage. Something like this:

formatting link
But I want to make sure I'm investing in something that will work, i.e. will the remote work all the way from upstairs, etc?

formatting link

Reply to
Sue

Just because I'm an engineer doesn't mean I know about every gadget out there. :-)

The only other group I frequent is the video forum. :-(

So should I cut the RED wire or not?

Reply to
Sue

I've had problems with remotes not working as stated on the package (designed to operate things in the living room from the bedroom). So I have had to modify them to be enclosed in a metal case (transmitter and receiver - faraday cage), then run a coax cable between the two. Then it works just fine.

And that is the way products are these days. I find they don't work out of the package and I need to fix them or re-design something to get it to work. It used to be you could buy things and they were well designed and tested prior to shipping.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Just Looking

So you're afraid the coyote will get him but you're sure it wont be around between 2:30 and 4 AM?

Why bother? If the coyote is going to get the cat either don't let him out or let him out. Why go to all the trouble and expense of a door opener when the possibility exists that after the first time you use it .... that cat becomes coyote chow?

Put the cat in a part of the house where you can't hear it with a litter box. When it's got to go bad enough it'll use it. After awhile it'll get the message.

Personally, I'd just let the cat out before I went to bed and let it takes it's chances.

Reply to
Jim

Better yet - Open the door remotely and let the coyote in the house.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I figured you could just cobble something together on your lunch hour.

Reply to
alarman

There ya go. Give the cat an ultimatum.

Either shit in the box or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jim

Agreed, she should have asked the rocket scientists in the next newsgroup

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yeah, I'm used to that. :-)

Reply to
Sue

Now those look very interesting. Thanks!

Reply to
Sue

Haaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ROTFL.

There ya go. Give the cat an ultimatum.

Either shit in the box or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Sue

Couldn't you just put a kitty door on the door from the house to garage and if needed put a remote lock on that...seems like it'd be easier/cheaper than controlling the entire door.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There are smart cats and dumb servants.

Then there are dumber servants and dumber cats.

There are also smart servants and smart cats.

That beings said, it would seem that one of the above may apply in this situation.

My mother(servant) has a smart cat that goes by the name Sylvester. So one day Sylvester decides he wants to go out so he reaches up and paws at the lever type door knob. So my mother gets up and lets him out on to the enclosed carport. After a little of this training of my mother he then starts to do the same when he wants back in.

So my mother decides she is tired of getting up every time to let him out she takes some rubber bands and wraps them around the lever so that Sylvester can get a grip and open the door himself when he wants to go out to the car port. Then when my mother want to 'at her discretion' goes and closes the door to either keep the heat in or cold out depending on the weather. But then Sylvester does the same thing when he wants back in and she has to it again. All seems well for a long time.

Then my mother gets tired of always closing the door for Sylvester so she decides to come up with a plan to have the door close automatically. So she takes a bungee cord and attaches it to the door and to the hand rail outside the door. Now Sylvester can open the door to go out or come at his leisure and the door will always close behind him. My mother does not need to tend to the cat since she is a smart servant of a smart cat.

So this TRUE story brings us to this question. Of the three listed above, which are you???

Now I am sure that someone here will find it necessary to make some dumb snotty comment. So for the sake of those that just can't wait read such dribble I will inject the following.

Reply to
ABLE_1

So your mom is an Access Control DIYer. Best of all, it sounds like the cat needed very little tech support. Smart lady. Smart cat. Who could complain about such a terrific combination?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The best part is she's my Mom!!!

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.