Do 2-wire motions exist?

Is there such a thing as a good-quality 2-wire dual-tech motion sensor that can be attached to a zone extention on a napco keypad to avoid having to run it to the panel (not to mention being out of panel zones)? thanks

Reply to
Total nerd
Loading thread data ...

Woah, I thought that was a no-no. The keypad is on a 4-wire bus, not aux power. Am I wrong here?

Reply to
Total nerd

You could tap into the keypad power wires to power the motion..........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Technically, it's a two-wire data bus with + and - terminals supplying 13.8 volts DC to power devices on the Bus... Keypad, AUX, & Fire power all come from the same power supply........ Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

That's great to know! So, basically I've got aux power whenever I need to power anything right there at any keypad in the house, right?

Reply to
Total nerd

Yes except some panels have a lower net current available at the keypad bus than direct from Aux power. A single motion might not be an issue, but some older style dual tecs or microwaves draw a lot of power.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You could run a small aux powersupply and b/u battery and remote power the pir, Ive done that in exteme situations. If there's room near the keypad, perhaps in a closet or something to put the pwr supply.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

, but probably running off the keypad bus power will work ok. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Keypad power is very limited on most panels.

If you are worried about power for your motion, how about a battery PIR that can be just dropped into an existing alarm loop? This is the only type of two-wire motion I know of.

BobbyD

Total nerd wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.