Definition of Subscriber?

well i asked again down here, they generally turn off all AC loss signals, as well our power goes out every other day anyway. Hurricanes just kill everything so it is a different situation. Our power goes out with the first thunder crack, even if it is just a small storm.

I sometimes think, though we have second hand Electric Generators here from the 1950''s purchased from some other third world country in south america, they must have glass break detectors installed on them, cause as soon as you hear thunder, bang goes the electric ... stays off for hours a time .. it just sucks bigtime! I cant keep count this summer, it is just too much :-(

Most CS's down here dont have more than 3000 clients max, so it is not that big a deal, but they still turn them off apparently, due to our frequent power outages.

If you have 10,000+ clients then certainly you can afford more phones and receivers to cover these issues anyway right??

Reply to
cctvbahamas
Loading thread data ...

I don't have any particularily strong feelings one way or the other on this issue of AC failures. I just can't see the need to transmit thousands of signals that really don't tell anyone very much of anything. There have been a few very valid reasons to do so outlined in this thread, and at least one person replied who personally sees a need to know when his panels may crap out after a long AC failure. No disagreement there; however, for me, it is enough to respond to low battery signals, which will come in after any AC failure duration. Why flood the station with thousands of useless AC signals, thats all. During the great ice storm of 1998, when power was out for weeks at a time, I can only imagine the number of AC signals received at all monitoring stations, and wonder what purpose they served, since the whole country knew we were in a major state of emergency at the time.

Perhaps I don't know enough about how stations respond to all these "spam signals". I would agree wholeheartedly with you on your statement about a CS that couldn't handle this type of mass receipt of signals being one to avoid. However, I have to question the wisdom of sending this flood of AC signals to begin with if it serves no useful purpose....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I agree with Jack on this one, in the end it doesn't matter what the central station does but I want that signal for the same reason I want a recent closing or exit alarm signal, it gives more information that may come into play in the future like troubleshooting or even a lawsuit. I guess its a better safe than sorry thing.

In your scenario I couldn't tell if the customer has a low battery due to AC loss or just that the battery is bad.

The real fun is when a hurricane comes sweeping in, I can't tell you how many trouble signals will come in from places like Puerto Rico, Florida and of course Louisiana. Thank god for MLR-2000's :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I an event history report fetish also..... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

I have an event history report fetish also..... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

No stutter........ A brain fart..... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

How does a CS turn off signals coming in? The receivers still have to process the signal to know whether it's an AC fail or a medical.

Reply to
mikey

We don't use the term "subscriber", to phone the site we use the term "PREMS" short for premises, and "KH" short for keyholder (contact list), "GRD" for guard (it is not common practice to dispatch police/fire in New Zealand).

Example: ACTVS - ph prems, n/r advise KH, n/r dispatch GRD

In this example the operator would phone the site, confirm the identity by way of either: the account "OK" password, their individual "OK" password or their PIN number.

If there was no reply to the site or identity couldn't be confirmed, we would move on an advise a keyholder from the callout list.

If there was no reply to the keyholders, no-one was available, or they requested we send a guard... then we would.

Reply to
Andrew

We (the CS) don't "turn them off", we receive them and handle them as usual. We just automate the process of logging-off the A/C failures without operator intervention and without the automatic generation of review events or service requests during a wide-are-outage. All other signals still get handled as usual. During Monsoons (wide-area-outages) the PD won't go unless we contact an RP (responsible party) to confirm a real emergency (which could be dangerous, but PD simply can not respond to all alarms during storms).

Reply to
Joe Lucia

They let you out of the coding room did they?

:-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thought I'd take a peek to see what the rest of the world looks like these days.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Go back to your cubby.

later dood... :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.