Definition of Subscriber?

Monsoons? In AZ?? js

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

I agree ! Why would you want to flood the station with useless AC fail signals anytime there is a major power outage (very common around here). Unless there is a specific reason for using it (as you mentioned), I disable it as a matter of course. Still can't figure out why most installers leave it programmed in to the station, and even more surprising, is why monitoring stations put up with it.

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I delay AC fail reports for two hour normally..... Maybe that's why I haven't received any complaints yet (fingers crossed).........

Reply to
Russell Brill

I let the CMS decide on what signals they want .. i think they normally have AC failure turned off, they change it when its uploaded and send it back down to their specs. I turn everything on for initial programming.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Or the pipes may freeze or the house may melt from being too hot in the summer.

| > RHC | | | We have a lot of systems in vacation homes - they want to know if the power | goes out so they can have someone check the premises. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well, not really. They're not treated as incidents...and if you delay the transmission and stagger the timing it's no more an overload than daily test signals.

| >> RHC | >

| >

| > We have a lot of systems in vacation homes - they want to know if the | > power goes out so they can have someone check the premises. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yeppers.

| > I know a local company that will dispatch on AC fail - they had a problem | > once and can't seem to get over it. | >

| Monsoons? In AZ?? | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Exactly. While I have my morning java I review the history from yesterday.

| > I had gotten so many complaints abt calling on AC fail that I stopped | doing | > it...residential only...and exceptions being if there's a life support | > device in use or wine cellar or freezer alarm or something like that. | | Same here. I see all the account activity first thing in the AM. If I don't | see a restore, I'll call the customer. 99% of the time the restore comes in | within an hour or 2. | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Here in Sacramento the weather is mild, in other parts of the country I'd use a longer delay...........

Reply to
Russell Brill

What about the fact that the alarm system is no longer powered up, is running on its battery, and will soon be rendered useless? Seems like a significant event to me. js

Reply to
alarman

You have to wonder which are the real signals, the 99% false alarms or the

99% genuine AC fails.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Ok, those have got to be the ONLY reasons I've heard that make any sense to me...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

We have a lot of systems in vacation homes - they want to know if the power goes out so they can have someone check the premises.

Reply to
JW

Yes, another good reason! I'm sure there are a few more as well.

I have to wonder though about the wholesale sending of AC failures to the station which seems to be the default mode that a lot of installers / alarmcos use. Surely doing this only serves to block the receivers during major power failures to any real alarm signals that might be coming through. Or perhaps the stations have a way to filter all these useless signals to leave their receivers clear ? Either way, it still seems like a lot of useless traffic for nothing...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Ok, I'm not that familiar with the equipment in the station, and it's capabilities. Perhaps that is the reason why they don't seem to care, or at least don't make any kind of issue about it...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I like it for two reasons: 1. After two-hours of no AC the customer or his/her key holders get a call from the CS, sometimes we're telling them the obvious, sometimes we're not... In either case most customers appreciate the extra attention they're getting at no extra cost... 2. I like to know about AC fails that haven't Restored, that tells me the Low Battery signal is coming next...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Good Lord, do we all start our day this way? No wonder we're such a cranky lot.

Reply to
mikey

hahaha I wondered when we were going to get around to that one.

Reply to
mikey

My CS won't respond to AC Fail signals if they're in Storm Mode... The low priority signals are left in the cue and dealt with at a later time when things settle down... As far as blocking the receivers is concerned, my CS has lots of phone lines and MLR-2000 receivers to handle heavy traffic periods... They currently monitor around 15,000 to 20,000 accounts, but their system can accommodate up to 100,000 accounts.......

Reply to
Russell Brill

And you wouldn't want to know?

| > What about the fact that the alarm system is no longer powered up, is | > running on its battery, and will soon be rendered useless? Seems like a | > significant event to me. | > js | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.