Cox ARRIS Touchstone

Hey Jim...thanks. I think I will put a permanent note on my printed invoices...so they'll get a notice with every quarterly billing.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@s80g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | | Crash Gordon wrote: | > Here's what we found; | > Its a black box, powered by nearest ac outlet and plugged into nearest telco | > jack and nearest coax outlet. They cut the feed from the old SNI so only | > dial tone is coming from their interior feed. In doing so they cut us out | > since we are feeding from the old SNI. | >

| > The box is called Arris Touchstone "Telephony Modem" and has two RJ11 telco | > jacks on it, one USB (the small side of USB like what would be on a camera) | > a RJ45 that is labeled Ethernet (but is not used) and it has a small battery | > backup inside. The whole unit looks like an overgrown cable modem. | >

| > When we backfed their signal back out to the SNI and fed everything that way | > through our alarm, we got our seizure back and the alarm transmits without | > any problems. BOTH jobs we did today were like this. | >

| > PITFA though. My clients will collect from Cox especially since Cox said | > they did NOTHING to effect the alarm system when they did by cutting the | > wires at the SNI. | >

| Hi Crash. | | Just to let you know, we had the same experience here when Cablevision | started installing their version of VoIP. Of course they, at least, | where calling it that. | But they were just cutting the lines and then when they got a rash of | complaints that the alarms were being disconnected, the alarm | association and reps from the Cable company got together and some | training courses were set up. A whole new procedure was instituted | where the cable company first asks if the subscriber has an alarm | system when they inquire about the service. This way, the cable company | knows which technicians to send to do the installation. They know about | line seizure and will ask the end user to test their alarm system | before and after the install. I'm not so sure all the systems are line | seized, but at least they're working until the next time we get out for | a service call. | | I've been sending notices out to all my clients, for about two years | now, regarding the downside to VoIP, Vonage, etc. and about getting | filters on DSL lines. I had forgotten all about DSL, until I went to | one client for a service call on another matter, and just as a routine | tried to send a signal to central and it didn't go through. I asked the | client if she'd tested the system lately and she said yes, but they | were slow in responding. I put the butt set on the line and heard the | DSL carrier and asked if she had DSL installed since the last time I | was here and got a yes. She had no idea that she should have called me | to get some filters. From that time on, I've continuously sent out | notices in all my billings about DSL and VoIP. | | Compared to other alarm companies I've spoken to, I have relatively few | VoIP conversions. But, then again, I can only presume that there are | those clients out there that would need a rabid mongoose to jump out of | the billing envelope with a " READ ENCLOSED NOTE" sign around it's | neck, before they'd read a newsletter or warning notice. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

I don't know how anyone else does it, but on any panel we install I always use the 30 day (as a minimum interval) test timer and with the automation software at central station there is always a flag when the system fails to check in. We have discovered some DSL, digital phone and other issues that way. The billing letters go out to but you're right Jim, too many people fail to notice.

Reply to
Roland Moore

We test everyday, longer intervals are meaningless.

| > Crash Gordon wrote: | >> Here's what we found; | >> Its a black box, powered by nearest ac outlet and plugged into nearest | >> telco | >> jack and nearest coax outlet. They cut the feed from the old SNI so only | >> dial tone is coming from their interior feed. In doing so they cut us out | >> since we are feeding from the old SNI. | >>

| >> The box is called Arris Touchstone "Telephony Modem" and has two RJ11 | >> telco | >> jacks on it, one USB (the small side of USB like what would be on a | >> camera) | >> a RJ45 that is labeled Ethernet (but is not used) and it has a small | >> battery | >> backup inside. The whole unit looks like an overgrown cable modem. | >>

| >> When we backfed their signal back out to the SNI and fed everything that | >> way | >> through our alarm, we got our seizure back and the alarm transmits | >> without | >> any problems. BOTH jobs we did today were like this. | >>

| >> PITFA though. My clients will collect from Cox especially since Cox said | >> they did NOTHING to effect the alarm system when they did by cutting the | >> wires at the SNI. | >>

| > Hi Crash. | >

| > Just to let you know, we had the same experience here when Cablevision | > started installing their version of VoIP. Of course they, at least, | > where calling it that. | > But they were just cutting the lines and then when they got a rash of | > complaints that the alarms were being disconnected, the alarm | > association and reps from the Cable company got together and some | > training courses were set up. A whole new procedure was instituted | > where the cable company first asks if the subscriber has an alarm | > system when they inquire about the service. This way, the cable company | > knows which technicians to send to do the installation. They know about | > line seizure and will ask the end user to test their alarm system | > before and after the install. I'm not so sure all the systems are line | > seized, but at least they're working until the next time we get out for | > a service call. | >

| > I've been sending notices out to all my clients, for about two years | > now, regarding the downside to VoIP, Vonage, etc. and about getting | > filters on DSL lines. I had forgotten all about DSL, until I went to | > one client for a service call on another matter, and just as a routine | > tried to send a signal to central and it didn't go through. I asked the | > client if she'd tested the system lately and she said yes, but they | > were slow in responding. I put the butt set on the line and heard the | > DSL carrier and asked if she had DSL installed since the last time I | > was here and got a yes. She had no idea that she should have called me | > to get some filters. From that time on, I've continuously sent out | > notices in all my billings about DSL and VoIP. | >

| > Compared to other alarm companies I've spoken to, I have relatively few | > VoIP conversions. But, then again, I can only presume that there are | > those clients out there that would need a rabid mongoose to jump out of | > the billing envelope with a " READ ENCLOSED NOTE" sign around it's | > neck, before they'd read a newsletter or warning notice. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We used to auto-test residential accounts daily. Commercial accounts were all programmed for open and close signals. If a commercial client wanted o&c *reports* or supervision, we charged extra for that but the signal was standard.

Since we ran our own central station the extra cost for the signals was negligible. It made for an excellent selling point though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Roland Moore

I test daily even on O/C accounts since sometimes they're closed on weekends. Doesn't cost me anything, but even if it did I'd still test every acount every day. I used to have some higher security accounts that I'd test

2x a day + o/c's

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-866-1100 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Some of the older panels don't have the test option but the one I mentioned did. It WAS getting through but who knows how many attempts it took? Test is good but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Reply to
Jim

Just so you know Crash, I found that the note at the bottom of the billing kind of goes unread too.

I went out and bought some yellow stock paper and printed up four notices on each page. Cut them with the paper cutter and insert them with the bill. Nothing fancy. That really got the better response. Got and still get lots of phone calls from people considering going VoIP. Usually they opt out or keep a basic line for the alarm. In a few months, I'll change to another bright color and I think they'll read it again, thinking it's something new.

Just a side note. Since almost day one, I've always inserted a 3X3 cut notice that I get printed at my printer that says, "TEST YOUR SYSTEM once a month or at least every time you receive your billing from us." With my company name on it. It's printed on a bright orange, green etc paper. My reasoning for this is three fold. Obviously ...they should test their systems. The second reason is, if there should ever be an "incident" and the system doesn't work, for some reason, there's no saying that they weren't advised to test their system regularly. And thridly ..... When I go on service calls, I see these little notes stuck behind the keypad, on bulletin boards, refrigerators, etc. So it serves the additional purpose of always keeping the name in their mind too.

Every little bit helps.

Reply to
Jim

Do you do all your own billing and envelope stuffing? Do you cut all those 3x3 pieces yourself?

Reply to
I use solid wire

And since bass will accuse me of being a ghost, this is my new alias.

I run from no one.

Reply to
I use solid wire

Great idea! My bro is a printer...maybe I can get neon Post-It notes printed!

| >

| Just so you know Crash, I found that the note at the bottom of the | billing kind of goes unread too. | | I went out and bought some yellow stock paper and printed up four | notices on each page. Cut them with the paper cutter and insert them | with the bill. Nothing fancy. That really got the better response. Got | and still get lots of phone calls from people considering going VoIP. | Usually they opt out or keep a basic line for the alarm. In a few | months, I'll change to another bright color and I think they'll read it | again, thinking it's something new. | | Just a side note. Since almost day one, I've always inserted a 3X3 cut | notice | that I get printed at my printer that says, "TEST YOUR SYSTEM once a | month or at least every time you receive your billing from us." With my | company name on it. It's printed on a bright orange, green etc paper. | My reasoning for this is three fold. Obviously ...they should test | their systems. | The second reason is, if there should ever be an "incident" and the | system doesn't work, for some reason, there's no saying that they | weren't advised to test their system regularly. And thridly ..... When | I go on service calls, I see these little notes stuck behind the | keypad, on bulletin boards, refrigerators, etc. So it serves the | additional purpose of always keeping the name in their mind too. | | Every little bit helps. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Good point. We programmed some commercial accounts to send both but not all of them. I don't recall the reason why not though. It's been several years.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Looking for a new job again, Cracker?

He does it during slack time when the current pulls his rowboat across the Arthur Kill to Elizabeth. With all of six accounts it doesn't take long.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I never accused you of being a ghost. A jackass, drunk and drug abuser, yes but not a ghost.

True. You stay in your apartment hiding in a bottle while popping xan*x and l*xapro.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Arthur Kill to Elizabeth. With all of six accounts it

That's pretty funny, s*****ad.

Reply to
I use solid wire

Nic sig line, Cracker

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks.

Reply to
I use solid wire

Don't you ever think your accusations will come back to harm you?

Reply to
I use solid wire

Since it's true there's nothing you can do about it. Also, stop calling me. I have no interest in talking to you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The 3 x 3 notices are printed and cut by my printer shop.

The yellow paper with the VoIP notes I have done in my office. This one changes from time to time, so at this point I'm having it done at my office. If I ever settle on a fixed note, I'll have it done at the print shop too. However the response to the warning notices has been such a success, that I'm thinking of doing occasional "specials" with back up Radio or Internet monitoring offers, along with the warnings about VoIP and DSL.

And yes, I have my billing, stuffing, and mail, done here at my office.

But then....... I only have three accounts ..... so it doesn't take that long. ;-)

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.