Intrusion attempts - are they for real?

I use Norton security.

I'm getting hundreds of messages that there are "intrusuin attempts. The logs on each attemp say this: Details: Rule "Unused Windows Services Block" blocked (NEW_COMPUTER(xxx.xxx.x.xx),xxxx). Inbound TCP connection. Local address,service is (localhost,1025). Remote address,service is (NEW_COMPUTER(xxx.xxx.x.xx),xxxxx). Process name is "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccProxy.exe".

IIt looks like this is a genuine Symantec program trying to access my computer. 111 attempts in the last 5 minutes.

At the very least this constant ringing of my computer doorbell is wasting computer resources. What's happening?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

You got it blocked. Why I don't know? Maybe, you shouldn't have it blocked. I don't know that either as I don't use Norton.

formatting link
What are the IP(s) remote and destination you're talking about as no here cares about them but could help in the determination as to what is happening? Your IP was 65.95.30.18 at the time you were making the post using OE. Again no one cares.

Maybe, why don't you ask Symantec about what is happening?

Yeah, that's exactly what's happeing and if you had a cheap NAT router setting in front of the machine, the Norton FW would not be whining as the traffic would never reach the computer on the inbound attemp reacting to it, since the router would be blocking the traffic unsolicted traffic or it may not be unsolicted traffic and you got it blocked.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

NIS is scaring you into believing it does something useful. E.

Reply to
E.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.