Compass for windows, silly questions

I han't been abe to find out a yes/no answer to a couple of questions about compass before I buy it.

#1 is there a way to hook it straight to a panel to dump the panel? maybe through the ecp bus?

#2 does it have to be an old hayes modem to use it? My laptop only has usb ports :(

Thanks for the info Bill

Reply to
alarmdude9
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
nick markowitz

i think you can use a viking dialtone simulator to trick a panel into thinking it's connecting over telco line.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

4100 SM module, but only to some panels

There are several modems that are listed, including some 33.6 modems. I use Belkin's F5U103 USB to serial adaper on a Hayes 2400 external with no problems at all. It has also worked with the 4100 SM, with no problems after the most recent Compass version

Reply to
Michael

The type of USB converter is picky.

Honeywell says only use the USA19HS model USB to serial converter.

formatting link
if using the above method to connect.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to check into the dealer angle, I work for one of the "big boys" so I don't know if I qualify. :( But as a follow up question, where do I look on the website for the software (free for dealers that is)?

Reply to
alarmdude9

1. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. License hereby acknowledges that the Licensed Programs including the algorithms contained therein are proprietary to ADEMCO. Licensee shall not sell, transfer, disclose, display or otherwise make available any Licensed Programs or copies or portions thereof to any other entity. Licensee agrees to secure and protect the Licensed Programs so as to maintain the proprietary rights of ADEMCO therein, including appropriate instructions to and agreements with its employees.

RLB has violated this SLA by posting the password to the site already... You can easily get the software.

If you work for ADT, P1, FA, and others.... you'll need proprietary personality disks, which are not easily obtained. I know of two people in this NG that MIGHT have access to them - but would be subject to severe penalties if they released them.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It's free to anyone who wants it.

formatting link
Username: honeywell Password: support99

Reply to
Robert L Bass

hmmmm looks like I'll have to buy a copy :(

Well if I can't use it legaly there is no use in getting it illegaly.

Wow at least 2 of those disk would realy help me :)

Reply to
alarmdude9

Absolutely not! The owners of the software give it away free to any installer who asks. If you are installing or servicing your own alarm then by definition, you are an installer. Help yourself. Honeywell couldn't care less.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

are an installer.

Whose definition would that be? Yours? It's certainly not the State of Florida's or the Province of British Columbia's.

Reply to
FIRETEK

He's done more than simply violate the SLA. If you read the preamble on the link he provides in this thread, it states:

"Access to MyWebTech Online Support is for Professional Security Systems Dealers and Authorized Distributors in North America (United States and Canada.)"

"To acquire the password for access, contact: Honeywell Security Technical Support Group at 1-800-645-7492 (Professional Security Systems Dealers Only Please!)"

Robert also states that "Honeywell couldn't care less" who accesses their site. It would appear to me from reading the above that they very much care. Frank's right, he doesn't read well at all.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Not to worry, he'll find an excuse to get around it

"Well I didn't read that so it doesn't affect me or who I give the password to"

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Now why would my customer need to go through me to have something programmed with his alarm system or get manuals to make changes when you just posted the password up on this news group for them to get the info or software themselves.?????

Reply to
Matthew Stanley

one more reason not to use honeywell products.

Reply to
Don

One must be a professional to act professionally. One must be responsible to act responsibly. One must be in the security business to provide security.

RBL is a parts peddler and a re-peddler at that.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I assume you treat your customers so well that they will prefer to keep using your service rather than going the DIY route. If your service is good and your prices are reasonable you've nothing to worry about. If you were like some of the IB, however, things would be very different.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Why? Robert will post un/pw to access any product he has them for. Not good if you ask me. Most clients can't set the time on their watches let alone program an alarm system.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That depends on the client. Mine are all DIYers. Most are more not challenged by simple tasks like installing and programming an alarm or home automation system.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Maybe so, but you are not limiting to whom you give out the un/pws to, you're giving them out to any old freekin nutjob that may be lurking here.

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-866-1100 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.