Car remote's range becomes smaller

Hi

I have a car with a remote lock. Over a period of several years it seems that the range becomes smaller and smaller. Right now I need to be within few feet from the car for it to work.

I've replaced the battery. What else might be happening?

TIA, Eugene

Reply to
E. F.
Loading thread data ...

press the transmitter to your chin when you push the button, you'll get a few more feet of range.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

you been watching "everybody Loves Raymond " too much. :)

Reply to
Chub

heheee...yah. but seriously it works, I get abt 15ft more range...also depends on if I shave or not. It's the Belgian method of extending cellular phone range.

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That won't cause dain bramage like using a cell phone will it? ;)

Reply to
Chub

Move or extend the receiver antenna. When you cleaned the carpet you moved it. Move it away from the steering wheel. it's under the dash.

"
Reply to
Rich

only if you're n ot wearing your tin foil helmet

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Did you test the new battery? If yes, did you test it under load conditions (with a proper battery tester)?

Finally, is the new battery seated properly? Are the contacts bent, dirty, oxidized?

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

there is 2 possibility here, the receiver part of the alarm is untuned or the transmitter is untuned..

if you have no prior experience with such manipulation,don't come back here saying that you broke everything,and its my fault,those manipulation could ruin the remote or the receiver...

if you open the transmitter you maybe able to see some small pot or some adjustment,take in note where are the actual adjustment (with a notch on the board with a marker where the wipe of the pot is before touching it) and try to adjust ONE pot at a time,also look for soldering joint that could have failed,especially in the antenna section of the remote..

if that doesn't work,its the receiver,and you need to do the same on it.. AGAIN,if you have no prior experience with such manipulation,don't come back here saying that you broke everything,and its my fault....

if you choose not to do it,you could figure out if its the receiver or the remote by trying a new remote on it...

by the way some alarm manufacturer will give 5 year warranty on such device,take a look at there web site to know if its still under warranty..

"E. F." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
petem

Did you get it fixed?

Reply to
Rich

I finally found a spare remote unit and tried it. It worked from the distance just fine. So it seems that the receiver is OK.

Reply to
E. F.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.