Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

Isn't that statement of yours above an expanded version of me saying "My opinion" in the statement below? How long winded a qualification statement do you want to be included? Ultimately what is so incorrect as to get your dander up?

"My opinion of the price/quality spectrum of common brand alarm panels you are likely to receive proposals on:"

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Everywhere Man

I would use the army of ants approach, rather than dealing with the philosophy of installers.

If you have to use monitoring service, I would suggest use two who would accept DIYers, one for $8.95 and one for $11.00 per month. One use land line and one use cell. Or a wifi phone hooked to your neighbor's router. Or one wifi phone hooked to each neighbor's router that you can reach. Hopefully if you screw up, you don't screw up all the lines.

Wired systems are more or less the same. Window/door contacts and PIRs are more or less the same. If you are not sure, just use more redundancy. Two or three PIR at an area when you can use only one will increase the reliability, and the difficult an intruder have to deal with. One PIR outside a window, one inside, a contact sensor, a vibration sensor and a audio sensor.

Wireless is a bit different, because some systems like x10 are unbelievable stupid. But you don't have to believe anybody about how secure their system is. Use element of surprise. Stick the ADT label or GE label everywhere but use x10, etc, etc. Use two systems at different RF frequency, so to disarm the intruder have to use two different set of equipments and twice the time. And why DIY systems? Nobody knows which brand and how much systems you actually have.

The usual principle is Light, Time, and Noise, to which I would add Surprise. So I wonder if all these internal alarm is necessary if you do your outdoors properly. Keep your perimeter always well lit by flood light if you don't mind the electricity bill and the environment. If you mind, maybe dimmer lights plus PIR flood lights. And then some more lights that would turn on for no particular reasons. That's the surprise.

Of course outdoor (and indoor) cameras. Wired is good but installation is a nightmare. Again use a mix of frequencies, 2.4 GHz, 1.2 GHz, and wifi (2.4G). And also 0, dummies. Use your company computer for DVR function to record your internet cams. Instead of an expensive $700 DVR, you can buy about 5 to 7 DVR's. They are so small that you can hang it up next to the cams, or put the cam and DVR inside those intimidating dummy housings. So you turn a smashing game into a treasure hunting game.

Nowadays a 20 GB DVR will last several day's continuous footage. Those with much smaller storage often comes with motion detection to save memory, and automatic overwriting old images. So there's little effort to maintain several DVR's. But whether they capture useful images is a different story. But if you don't know, who does?

Reply to
accidental plumber

You are quite simply a myopic ass. Are you too stupid, lazy or ignorant to be able to figure out a way to stifle that wretched pie hole of yours? It is not Bass you offend with your piffle, it's me. I don't remember pissing in your Post Toasties but I am ready to start. Your over the top cancer comments have put you beneath respect. At least Bass won't have to be concerned about being buried next to you, I suspect he's going to a cemetery one day, hopefully far in the future. I doubt you could find a way to leave your remains in a landfill, they have standards you know. Have you ever held a loved one when they take their last "rasping, cancer ridden breath"? I have and I suspect many others on this NG have too. Nothing, and I mean nothing, Mr. Bass has done could merit that horror. Nothing anyone has done here on this NG to you gives you the right to say anything like that to bring up so much pain and sense of loss. The fact the he holds his tongue shows how effortlessly he out classes you by an order of magnitude. When you take your last breath it might be because someone is choking the life they can't stand anymore from your worthless carcass. Bass has a disease he didn't ask for and hopes to beat. Your have one far worse that you choose to pretend isn't there. I bet Bass is enough a of a real human being to feel sorry for you now and more sorry for learning of your end. There are far more people holding a good thought for Bass on this NG than you. Lay off Bass! He is not the enemy you think he is, that guy in the mirror is. The sooner you see that the better off we will all be. If you're looking for a truly sorry and really nasty SOB that is easy to dislike, besides yourself, I am your man! I am a fat, foul mouth, foul tempered, forgive and forget, but first GET EVEN sort of guy. You want to talk about taking your breath away? Get on my bad side, underneath, and you won't be breathing. Your comments might not seem that sick to you, but keep talking and you might be surprised how fast they could put you in the hospital. But you don't want to mess with anyone that isn't easy prey occupied with fighting for their life and couldn't care less about you. If your goal is getting to Bass it isn't working, you just disgust the rest of us with your drivel. A word to the wise, the next time you mention cancer here you'd better be talking about an astrological sign. If you're any sort of a real man I hope your thoughts go toward asking Bass, and everyone else here that had the misfortune of reading your post, to forgive you.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

I'm never pleased to encounter a newsgroup where there are frequent personal attacks and what not, but I learned long ago that especially in an unmoderated alt group there is little that can be done about it. I've seen so many groups trashed and rendered but a shell of what they could be that it almost doesn't sadden me anymore. I consider myself lucky if even one or two people take the time to address my questions and I'm thankfull when they do.

I don't know to what extent the animosity in this group is related to personal issues, different business models, real and/or perceived transgressions against best industry practices or the law, etc and life is far too short to waste time trying to figure it out. I'll just say that to some degree the existance of disagreements and heated debate may not be all bad. For it is through being exposed to a wide range of opinions... even seemingly or actually wrong opinions... that we expand our minds :-)

Reply to
David

I just read Roland Moore's message and did a couple of archive searches and was shocked to learn that the comment in question was meant to be taken literally. Like I said I don't know what is going on and what has gone down in the past, but in the context of such a situation my message seems inappropriately frivolous and I want to make clear that none of the wording was written with that in mind.

Reply to
David

You need a new financial advisor who can bring your overall tax payable down to an even 20% across, doesn't matter how much you make in a year. If you need more info, just ask. Won't it be nice to make $100,000 per year and pay only $20,000 ? Sounds too good to be true ? Yes, it can be done and you don't even have to do any hardwork.

Reply to
A.J.

I don't share all of your sentiments. In the last five or so years, I've seen Bass drive off more good people with his endless libels and outright lies. I haven't seen you post anything here in that time so I can only assume you are a relative newcomer to the Group. If you've "lurked" here for any length of time I'm sure you would have tempered your response somewhat. I, for one, don't bear Bass any particular ill will, even though I've borne a fair share of his attacks in these last few years (and still do from time to time). I've posted a few things in anger but I've never attacked his family or wished him ill. Besides, when you really consider the source, there's really no point. Bass frequently authors his own misfortune.

I exchanged a number of emails with Jim shortly after I started posting here. He very patiently gave me a "rundown" of the Group's dynamics with a particular focus on Bass. Everything he said about the man has turned out to be true. At first, I couldn't believe someone could be that evil and yet still call himself a "Christian". He's viciously libeled a number of individuals here and does not hesitate to employ lies, deceit, and innuendo in some of his more malicious and cowardly attacks. I can honestly say that nothing is beneath him.

I respect Jim for his honesty, but I can't condemn him for his feelings and, without knowing all the facts, you shouldn't either. I know what he said "crossed the line" in most "polite society", but it's really no worse than what Robert's done in the not-so-distant past. He has even told a number of us to "drop dead" and included the phrase "and on the way down hit your head".

It's really a great pity that Bass brings so much turmoil to this Group. When he's absent for extended periods, the place starts to take on a whole new aura. Over one particularly long absence, it was actually pretty cool to see Steve Ryckman (the Group's founder) start posting again. When Bass re-appeared, his first order of business was to "prod" Jim and a number of his other "former detractors". This is "classic Bass". He "pokes and prods", then sits back to enjoy what develops.

Jim was the one that told me long ago to ignore all the manure in the Group and look for the diamonds. Believe it or not, there are plenty of them here.

Oh, yeah, and spend a few minutes with "Google".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Your post was not "inappropriately frivolous".

Reply to
Frank Olson

not I

Reply to
Don

Stick to plumbing. If you wanta add "surprise" put the cold water on the left side.

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Ah shucks, does that mean I'm off your Christmas card list ? I'll try not to let it bother me...:))

RHC

Jim wrote:

....snip rest of drivel....

Reply to
tourman

Sir, I won't comment on that side of newsgroup politics because at the moment, I am part of it unfortunately. However, this ng can provide information for people looking to learn things about their particular situation. Lets hope you have been able to get what you need.

One last thing to note. You will likely be subject to the terms of doing business in your area, so some of what has been posted may not apply to your situation. Good luck !!

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, > > Nice ! That's gotta be a new low even for you. I hope the original

Reply to
tourman

Whoa, Tom...You gonna call up Vinny and Rocco, or what?? js

Reply to
alarman

Thanks for the thoughts Tom, but the only way to do it under Canadian law is to incorporate. This costs several thousands of dollars up front, and ongoing annual costs for accountants approaching the same. Last year I grossed several times that amount and paid less than that in taxes, but that's still too damn much. Large companies like Bell Canada who would normally have to pay $250 million per annum this year and $800 million next year get off scott free by changing themselves into what are called income trusts (at the moment, the current government is trying to block that loophole, with the usual horrible cries of pain from the oil industry and others). We have an overall tax rate of over 57% on everything we do and buy up here. Hell, we literally work each year until 30th of June to simply pay our taxes - I kid you not ! But on the other hand, we do have a decent medical care system in spite of what you might hear in the media, and by and large, our cities are safe and clean.

Mine is a very small business, and I resent having to incorporate just to use dividends to pay myself and my employees. Meanwhile they piss away the taxes I do give them on all sorts of stupid, feel good programs to gain votes. Some days I think at my age, it would just be wise to sell out to the large company that is always trying to buy me out, and be done with it. But then my son would be left with nothing....

My financial advisor is also one of my customers, and I can assure you, this bean counter IS sharp. I run a very clean business, with no under the counter cash dealings, and at the moment, I am doing everything I can legally do to avoid excessive taxation, short of the act of incorporation. Up here, that is a "glass ceiling" all its own....

But thanks for the good thoughts....

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Hey, you were out west and didn't come down south? Jack in SD, Ca and I here in Az would probably both like to meet you sometime.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Now, don't get me riled, Tom. You don't want to make me mad. I've got ways of reaching out, you know. You wanna see an example? OK, bud, check the election results tonight. Hillary's a shoe-in. Piss me off again, and she'll be president. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Tom,

It isn't a matter of whether ABC should or shouldn't do it. The question is whether the consumer should accept a long-term contract. Sure, ABC does better if they sell a 5-year or at least 3-year contract. But from the consumer's POV, there's no gain to the long term agreement. Additionally, if hew already has a functioning system (that wasn't locked out), he may elect to go online and order monitoring from 911Alarm.com or any of a host of other companies for less than $12 a month.

Regards, Robert L Bass Bass Home Electronics

formatting link

Reply to
news.comcast.net

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.