Ademco Vista 40 - home user configurable?

Hello all,

Is the Vista 40 series something that is reasonably fathomable for a non-security-expert? I have a system that has a few broken or missing fire detectors and door alarms, and was considering getting it working by myself, either that or just calling Sentry and having them come round and check it over and teach me how to use the thing. My experience level is very little with these alarms in general, although I have fixed up an IP camera and alarm system that is currently monitoring my house. I'm going to print out the manual tomorrow and look it over, but I just wanted some feedback if other users have managed to get things working by themselves.

One thing I particularly want to do is have the system call ME (on my cellphone), rather than a monitoring company.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean

Reply to
DeanB
Loading thread data ...

Go away. js

Reply to
Buggs

Oooooook!

Anyone else?

Reply to
DeanB

The Vista 40 is a bit on the obsolete side. The best the panel may do is caller ID display to your cellphone. I don't think it has pager abilities...that may depend on how old the firmware is.

Alarm systems aren't that difficult to understand once you get a grasp of the wiring diagram.

You will need the user manual in order to understand the basics on how to operate it.

Jim Rojas

DeanB wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

The Vista 40 speaks alarmglish...do you? What will it say to you when it calls?? biz blat bis bis bis blat and then hang up...what will you do with that info?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

NEXT!

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Jim - thanks for the email!

-Dean

Reply to
DeanB

formatting link
Across the siren terminals perhaps? I think you will also need a relay. My memory is failing me. Heck, just about everything on this old body is close to shutdown. They can tell you what you need, I think.

Reply to
Sue

Vista 40 is getting to be a little long in the tooth. I don't belive it has a pager option to notify only you and not a central station. I don't know how many keypads or what type you have currently, but many older Ademco keypads work on newer Honeywell systems. Newer systems like the Vista 20PSIA have a pager reporting option. That might be a better platform to start you experimenting from.

Reply to
Roland More

You can probably get all you need in the Vista-20P. It's large enough for most residential jobs, maxing out at 48 zones. They're easy enough to program right from the 6160 keypad which is included in basic kits like the Vista-20P-60KT3. Honeywell provides extensive documentation which you can access via their website. I have DIY customers who have installed and programmed Honeywell systems, up to an including the Vista-128 series.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you're going to buy your equipment on line, better beware of this guy.

Take a look at his horrendous BBB record here:

formatting link
Also, ironically he's a convicted felon in the security business.

You'd be much better off locating a company near you, by referral from some one that you know.

There's always some creep on the Internet who'll try to screw you.

Reply to
Jim

Here's another good link.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.