False Alarm

Last night, I got a call from my monitoring service saying my hall motion detector had tripped the alarm. We were at a church meeting. They said they were sending the cops. When we arrived home everything was intact. No doors or windows breached.

So, what could have caused the Honeywell Aurora motion detector, that was just installed 3 months ago, to go off? Could it be a loose connection or could it be a bug walking across the contacts? I installed this system myself using most of the existing wiring from my old system. This is the first problem I have had with it.

Reply to
Injun Ear
Loading thread data ...

I wouldn't have a clue. There are many possible causes for a false alarm of this nature (a loose wire being but one of them). Check that you've met all the installation parameters (height, coverage, etc.). Often the most overlooked is the "range" adjustment (usually involves moving the circuit board up and down). Adjust the range so that the top protection "fingers" strike the floor no more than 40 feet away (having a PIR look into "infinity" is not a good plan). If the problem persists, I'd go with a better PIR (Paradox line would be my recommendation).

Reply to
Frank Olson

All motion detectors have false alarms under certain situations. PIR's can be triggered by lights or heat changes. Microwave detectors can be triggered by radio frequencies. Ultrasonic can be triggered by refrigerators or water coolers.

With that said, the best motion detector is one which uses two types of detection and they BOTH must be triggered before an alarm is triggered. These are called "dual technology" detectors.

Reply to
Bill

The most likely reason for it going off is that it's a Honeywell Aurora motion

Reply to
mleuck

Don't they have the multiple pulse count selector?? 2 through infinity (the latter setting would ensure they *never* went off). Whoops... I'm confusint that with the AlarmFarce "pet proof" detector. Pulse count? What's that? We'll just mount the sucker 3 and a half feet from the floor and turn it upside down. Then we'll stick a sign out front with a big red line on it. "Notice: Burglars must be taller than this line to break in. Caution, we will use threatening language if you do (in both official languages)."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Did an AlarmForce rep beat you as a kid or something?

Reply to
mleuck

Joel's constantly "beating us up" on the radio. "We have the best system", "if it's not an Alarmfarce system, you're wasting your money", "we haven't raised our rates in fifteen years", "the installation is free, the equipment is free, the warranty is free, all you pay is a low monthly monitoring fee". I've never even seen an Alarmfarce rep (do they really exist???), just taken out about a hundred of their crappy systems.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Which setting are you using? Pulse Processing . Intermediate, Standard or Harsh, selectable via jumper link. If you want a better detector try a Use a Bosch DS835i

Reply to
Just Looking

Tourman's favorite motion detector

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Not quite but a close second....

Reply to
tourman

Or was it the DS825? I forgot which

Reply to
mleuck

The DS 820 and 835 had a defective microwave component. I have replaced dozens, and had many others false alarm for no apparent reason. I stopped using them years ago. They stink.

Reply to
alarman

RHC: Mark, that was years ago. Since they have been bought out by Bosch, I have had none of the earlier problems.

If you remember, it was me who griped some years ago on the newsgroup about the fact that Detection Systems put these units out to market KNOWING they had defective components. Unless your experience has been different than mine, they are ok now.....I even trust them for my own home

Reply to
tourman

I do remember thats why I brought it up, I replaced about a hundred of them

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Yeah, I didn't replace that many, but I replaced a lot as well. Since they were bought out, they seem to have redesigned the unit, including putting it in a smaller package, under a different brand name. I have installed about 20 of them since then, including in my own home, and have had no trouble with them. I have to assume they have fixed the original problem.

Bad reputations die hard in this industry. I see the same thing applying to Paradox alarms based on their very early version panels, but current models are top of the line. Same as service in our business I guess; give good service and clients will tell all their friends; give bad service and your name is crap forever.....at least the connected world together on the internet helps keep companies and people on their toes...

Reply to
tourman

How's it going with the new Paradox distributor? I know they keep sending me emails about all the "great deals". I honestly can't say I'm comfortable ordering equipment over the phone and having it delivered. Nothing beats going into the ADI or Tri-Ed branch and "browsing"... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

RHC: Frank, if you are referring to P.Coudriau &Sons, they are super to deal with. I have known these folks for over 30 years - they are my locksmith wholesalers as well, so now I get everything I need at one place. I believe Pierre said he is opening up a branch out west too, somewhere in Alberta if memory serves me correctly. But I would have no problem recommending them at all....

Reply to
tourman

That's ONE of the reasons they have a bad reputation considering certain recent events

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.