5 ft. long drill bits at Home Depot!

I found those 5 ft. long drill bits at Home Depot. They were in the electrical department, not in the tools section. And the bit has a hole drilled in it so you can use it to fish wires after drilling a hole. They are called D'versibit. Others with holes in the bits (for fishing wires) in the tool section are called "installer bits". Exactly what I was looking for - Thanks!

I don't know how many times I have been in the electrical department of Home Depot and yet never noticed these. They look like long rods (They are actually a long rod with a drill bit on the end), so I probably thought that was what they were.

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Yah they hide them in a piece of pvc pipe at the end of the electrical isle.

The only problem with them is the flutes get clogged because of the way the drill is welded to the rod, make sure you "unload" the hole of saw dust frequently. Another tip....use a regular drill bit to get you started, then use the D'versibit. That way you'll have a nice straight guide hole AND save some life of the Dversibit. Oh, yeah...don't keep the drill running when you're moving through an insulated wall or you could wrap the fiberglass insulation around the drill.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have one of those. Not only are t hey fun but they can be a real time saver. I'll shoot from one side of a house (in frame stage) tie on a heavier pull line and pull 5-10 openings at a time. And it's really cool to shoot an employee with.

My guys still prefer tossers though, not me with my tennis elbow if I toss too long I'm crippled the next day :-)

| > The only problem with them is the flutes get clogged because of the way | > the | > drill is welded to the rod, make sure you "unload" the hole of saw dust | > frequently. Another tip....use a regular drill bit to get you started, | > then | > use the D'versibit. That way you'll have a nice straight guide hole AND | > save | > some life of the Dversibit. Oh, yeah...don't keep the drill running when | > you're moving through an insulated wall or you could wrap the fiberglass | > insulation around the drill. | >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

An unfortunate phrase/term to use in some parts of the world crash.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

What do you mean? Did I use a term that's derogatory somewhere in the world?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The discouraging thing about Home Depot is that the employees don't know what they have in the store so you're pretty much on your own. That's why I like the electrical supply houses. You walk up to the counter and tell them what you want. A knowledgeable person gets it and you're all set without wasting half the day looking for it. If you're after price alone and you can live with the frustration of not being able to find what you want, standing in long lines, inept customer service, and rude cashiers, then HD is the place to be.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

A rough translation would be

your guys prefer wankers and your elbow hurts if you jerk off too much

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

and stop drilling as soon as you bust through the bottom or top plate to keep from drilling through pipes or roof or etc. under the floor or in the attic. use the bit as a feeler before drilling through floor or ceiling. feel around with end of bit to make sure you are on solid wood and not a wire.

Reply to
joe

I know what they have better than they do and if I don't I look for what I need. Usually a waste of time to ask for help. Then use the self check out. If you don't expect service then you won't be frustrated.

Reply to
joe

found a cable caster by Greenlee there yesterday while getting parts for a job. A dart gun with a fishing reel on it to cast wires into hard to reach areas. looks like a cool toy. should pay for itself if I use it once. now just have to find a place to use it. :)

Reply to
joe

It seems to vary from store to store. There was one in Manchester, CT that was excellent. They hired retired electricians, plumbers, etc., to work the aisles. Most were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Another store in a nearby town was more like what you described.

They're generally useful for contractors who know what they need. DIYers can often get better help from HD.

On that we disagree. In the years since they've been around I think I've met two rude HD employees. All the rest have been polite and at least tried to be helpful. Once when I was preparing to install a new transformer for the lighting system in my church I stopped in HD to get some odds and ends from the electrical dept. Chatting with the salesman I mentioned what the project was. He told me he was a retired electrician and that he happened to have some used transformers he'd removed during upgrades stored in his garage. He gave us a 440/208 WYE model for the church's use, saving us several hundred dollars.

Another experience I had at HD made me believe the company's customer service policy is beyond excellent. I bought a 5-horsepower snow thrower there one year. It worked OK at first but needed service (I forget what the problem was) before the first season was out. It was fixed under warranty. The following year I had to bring it in twice more. Just before the start of the third winter (more than two years after buying it) I was at HD getting something else and I mentioned the problems to customer service. They called the manager over and he said to bring the unit in so he could look it over. The next day I brought the machine in. He asked me a few questions and said, "OK, this is a lemon. We'll replace it."

We then went into the department to look for a new 5-horse model but those were all sold out. He selected a much bigger, more costly 8-horse unit and asked if this would fit in my 4-Runner. I said yes but asked how much extra it would cost me. They didn't charge me one cent for the upgrade. Needless to say, I invariably shop HD when I need any major appliance, lawn mower (I stopped doing that when I moved to FL), etc. You may well have had bad luck with them but I've had almost entirely good experience with the company.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep, no one is crippled anymore, they are physically challenged. I don't think people are handicapped anymore, either, unless they're physically fit and parking in a handicapped space. Basically, people get tired of a word after it's been in use and then they find a new word that means the same thing. The old word is derogatory and the new word isn't, at least for a few years.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

I didn't see anything terribly wrong, unless Doug was refering to "Dwarf tossing", a sick club sport that was publized some years ago.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yeah, I know what you mean. The other evening, I was with my wife and kids and happened to use the word "queer" to describe a homosexual. Well you would think I swore on a public platform by the response I got from my kids. I was told in no uncertain terms that the politically correct word is "gay" now, with everything else being derogatory.....

Times, they are a changin'.....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Spent some time in England, have you? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That wasn't the word he was referring to. The term, "tosser" is UK slang for one who ...errr, pleasures himself. It has been used here and in another newsgroup by several posters to describe Olson and Sabodish at various times.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

screw it...if I'm referring to my self I can be degrading if I want.

| >

| | Yep, no one is crippled anymore, they are physically challenged. I don't | think people are handicapped anymore, either, unless they're physically fit | and parking in a handicapped space. Basically, people get tired of a word | after it's been in use and then they find a new word that means the same | thing. The old word is derogatory and the new word isn't, at least for a few | years. | | Bob | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ah...din't know that I was referring to a wad of big steel washers held together with a threaded eye bolt that we use to toss wires over trusses.

| > Yep, no one is crippled anymore, they are physically challenged... | | That wasn't the word he was referring to. The term, "tosser" is UK slang | for one who ...errr, pleasures himself. It has been used here and in | another newsgroup by several posters to describe Olson and Sabodish at | various times. | | -- | | Regards, | Robert L Bass | | =============================>

| Bass Home Electronics | 2291 Pine View Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34231 | 941-925-9747 Sales & Tech Support |

formatting link
| =============================>

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

HA !! Welp in my neck of the woods it translates as: my elbow hurts from throwing a 3 lb bundle of steel washers held together with eyebolt (the infamous "tosser") that we attach wires to and throw over the trusses so we don't have to climb ladders every 10 feet. But, your translation is far more colorful !!...but definitely not what I meant.

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA almost missed that one, thanks Doug!

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.