100 Base T

Anyone know exactly how many conductors are really being used in Cat 5e for

100 Base T ?
Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Thats what I thought. Which ones (which colors)....I gotta do some cheating on new house prewired by idiots.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Poifect!...thanks man.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Reply to
mikey

If you're planning on using the spare pairs in the cat5e it's do-able but make sure:

You won't be using giga bit ethernet on that run in the future as it uses all 4 pairs.

Also POE (Power Over Ethernet) will use a pair as well if implemented. (eg. powering a voip phone from the ethernet switch)

Both of these snaggles may not be in place now but future users/designers must be made aware if you're planning on using pairs in the cat5e in a non-standard way.

Crash Gord> Poifect!...thanks man.

Reply to
ti_alarms

formatting link
That will explain it all to you.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

It's not that complex.

It's a house that the builder only ran 4 cat 5's for telco in the entire house...about 3600 sq ft. They installed a structured wiring box...for 4 cat

5 telcos and 4 coax...go figure. No telco in the guest suite which has NO access to the main house. Anyway, in addition the h/o is a friend of mine (he's probably up in his attic as we speak) and needs 100 base T to at least the office & MBR so I figured we could maybe steal an unused pair for phone and use the rest for lan.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Oh, this guy is retentive...he creates this massive "bible" of EVERYTHING done to the house, so documentation is not a problem. Besides, he's doing all the scut work himself, I'm just handholding and will hang and install alarm later. He's doing the network himself.

How about electricians that install a swb and then proceed to LOOP all the Cat 5 and then really think they're clever and bring the end back to the swb? What a waste.

Yah,,, when they create their own color codes is always an ordeal later!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sounds workable, however, when I do stuff like this - even in my own house - I usually put a note somewhere (in this case in the structured wiring box) so that: a) 5 yrs from now I will know what the hell I did, and b) If/when the house is sold the poor schmuck the new h/o hires will have a clue...

What I love are the electricians who haven't a clue, wir> It's not that complex.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

thanks man, its a straight cable not crossover. I haven't heard from the guy, so I hope he's not gotten stuck in his attic...better him than me...it's still too freekin hot out here.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
4 pin 1,2,4,6

a pair on 1 and 2 a pair on 4 and 6

for a straight cable pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2 ,4 to 4 and 6 to 6 (cable that connects a router to a computer)

for a cross over cable 1 to 4 2 to 6 and vice versa ....so that the pai to connect to pin 1,2 ends up on 4,6 and the paire on 4,6 ends up at 1,2

this is to connect 2 computer directly to each other with out using a router or a switch or a hub...

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: Kt1Se.29$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Reply to
petem

You sure about that? The cables I have made use 1 2 3 and 6. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.