1000 Base T

What are the length requirements for 1000 base t cabling? I swapped out a 10/100 hub for a 10/100/1000 hub and only a few ports are using

1000 even though all NICs are 10/100/1000.
Reply to
just1coder
Loading thread data ...

Same as for 100TX--there are some additional tests that should be applied to the cabling but any decent-quality cable that is properly installed that passes CAT5 should pass 5E.

Get yourself a couple of SMC boards or others that are based on the Marvell Yukon chips and run the cable analysis software that comes with them--if there are any glaring problems with the cable that should find them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

100m (328ft), same as 100baseTX.

Are you sure all cabling is good (no split pairs, all 8 conductors properly terminated)? Otherwise, it may be a software issue.

-- RObert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Sorry, I meant the minimum length. They were all tested out on a 100 mbit switch when I cut them ... worked fine there ... figured they would be OK on the 1000 mbit ... apparently not :|

Reply to
just1coder

the supported length is the same (100m or 90m fixed + 10m allowance for patching) - as long as your cable is installed properly.

but 1000 Base-T needs all 4 pairs connected correctly, whereas 100 Base-TX only needs 2.

Reply to
stephen

Cut them? Why? How did you reterminate? Punchdown or crimp? Both have pitfalls.

There is _no_ minimum length for 100baseTX. I've used 1 cm loopbacks and 5 cm crossovers successfully at full throughput. AFAIK, the same goes for GBE.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

When you switched from 10/100 to 1G and it stopped working (quality of cabling presumably OK, except for wiremap), it normally means your pairs #1 and #4 were terminated badly or not at all. 10/100 equipment can care less about those pairs whereas Gigabit Ethernet needs all four.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.