TM751 Problem

I've tried a couple of TM751's and several "PalmPad" remotes and have had the same problem in two different installations.

I can use the palmpad to turn modules on/off (lamp, appliance, switchlincs -- all no problem).

But, if I try to dim a dimmable module, the light dims to (essentially) off and the system goes crazy. Homeseer is logging a whole bunch of dims after the first dim (30+) before I unplug the TM751.

Once I unplug the TM751, everything is back to normal.

As I said above, I've tried a couple of TM751's (and palmpads) with the same results.

Is this common? Is there something else I should check? Is the problem with the TM751, the palmpad or both?

Thanks,

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Many thanks, Dave.

Any recommendations for a different, more reliable, inexpensive wireless keypad solution?

I haven't had good luck with IR (too bright here in So. Cal) and the

802.11 with a PocketPC is pretty expensive for a simple X10 lights on/off/bright/dim control.

Mitch

Dave Houst> It's a well known problem with the TM751. Try it in different outlets and

Reply to
Mitch

This one handles all 256 addresses...

formatting link
Smarthome has garbled the description so you might want to find it on Leviton's site to get an accurate description. It's the Leviton HCPRF.

You can probably f>Many thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I understand this is caused by transmitting too many dim commands. Don't hold the dim button down. Just send the dims one at a time like other commands, and wait for the light to respond to each one.

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Actually, it happens even if I just tap the dim button.

Jeff Volp wrote:

Reply to
Mitch

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mitch) writes: | Actually, it happens even if I just tap the dim button.

Yes, it really is a bug in the firmware. If you are handly with a soldering iron you can install a replacement PIC running one of my improved firmware versions available from the home automation page at

formatting link
For maximum functionality you would want to do this with an RR501 instead of the TM751.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I probably won't bother trying to fix it and will try a leviton unit that Dave Houston suggested.

It's amazing that X10 Inc. can stay in business with the level (lack) of quality their products display.

Thanks,

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Interesting... I don't recall ever having a lockup when doing the dim in discrete steps. Back when I was beta testing the CM14A, we pretty much confirmed the lockup was caused by holding down the dim button. As I recall, we were using two TM751s back then - one at each end of the house. I do know we avoided the lockup by doing the dim in discrete steps.

X10 discontinued development of the CM14A, and I upgraded to the Ocelot when we moved to this house. We now have a single RR501 centrally located for the RF link. We rarely use the dim command anymore because the Ocelot controls all the lights via Leviton preset dim commands. Should I use the palmpad, I still dim in discrete steps out of habit. However, I just ran the dim up and down half a dozen times holding the button down without causing a lockup. Maybe the RR501 doesn't exhibit the problem? Maybe it was some interaction between the RF receiver and the CM14A?

I'd be interested in finding out more about the firmware upgrade.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Try to get a RR501 which is more stable and sensitive

"Dave Houston" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.fuse.net...

Reply to
Denis Clermont

Reply to
Dave Houston

It might be a difference in the remotes. Newer PalmPads transmit a minimum of 6 RF bursts with the quickest tap of a button. A Radio Shack branded "PalmPad" purchased about 8 years ago can be made to transmit only 1 RF burst with a quick tap.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

All of my HR12A (X-10 brand) send 5 copies of the RF code with a quick tap. Combination remotes (e.g. 8-in-1), the SH624 and others send a single code with a quick tap.

The TM751 will respond to 1 or 5 copies by sending 3 contiguous dims (12%). It takes 550ms to send 3 contiguous dims. The RR501 will respond to 1 copy with 12% but to 5 copies with 18% (733ms).

I suspect the difference may be due to the fact that the RR501 can store a code (maybe two codes) but I haven't explored this >It might be a difference in the remotes. Newer PalmPads

Reply to
Dave Houston

I think the firmware in all of these X10 remotes and transceivers has been changed from time to time so it's difficult to make any definitive statements. For example a single RF burst to a RR501 I have now (date code 04A03) yields a 6% dim whereas the same to a 1997-vintage Radio Shack lookalike or a TM751 (date code 04D15) yields a 12% dim.

I should mention that most of the recently-acquired X10 stuff I have came from X10's "super deals" (which may be their way of reducing inventory of older-rev or prototype stock). The HR12A (sends 6 RF bursts minimum) and TM751 came with the Firecracker "shipping-only" deal they had about a year ago.

Here's some data I took, counting the RF bursts with an MR26A and the power line dims with a CM11A. There are some obvious differences from the data you've observed with your units.

Dim level sent by RF transceiver (percent) Bursts RR501 CM15A TM751*

------- ----- ----- ----- 1 6% 6% 12% with a quick tap.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

You are probably right about changes in firmware. I also do not trust the date stickers on "super deals". All of the IBM kits that were sold dirt cheap a few years ago had the same exact stickers.

From my tests, the TM751 responds to every 6th copy (1,6,11...) of contiguous RF codes. My RR501 test results were similar to yours except for the initial step. I'm relying on memory and I may be wrong on that point.

When waiting for a clear powerline, the RR501 can store at least two commands. You can verify this by sending a continuous PLC signal to block the RR501 and sending an OFF and ON via RF. When the blocking signal is removed, the RR501 will send both the OFF and ON signals.

Most of my test>I think the firmware in all of these X10 remotes and transceivers

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.