Xmas is early - with LED lights

Ok, so it's only the beginning of Nov, but I'm staring early!

Got a couple strings of LED lights. (60 on a string, Phillips, from Target).

In the past, I've used indi C7's and used a std X10 lamp module. No problem..

Tried the lamp mod with the LEDs, and they don't go off (still dimly lit when off), so I tried a Appliance Mod - Same thing!

These are old modules I keep with the Xmas stuff, and I don't mind doing some "surgery".

Ya think this is a "local control" issue with the modules? If so, what's the website that tells you how to hack the module? (I've lost it long ago...)

I know I could probably add an inci light and draw enough power to make this work, but that's kind of against the reason I'm using LEDs!

Merry Xmas! (like two months early!)

Reply to
AZ Woody
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
INSPECTOR via HomeKB.com

AZ Woody wrote in news:472fe686$0$10298$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:

This is due to the current for local control. If you don't want to put a small light in parallel with the string (a 7.5 watt night light is sufficient), then you might consider adding more strings of lights.

The alternative is to cut the wire that supplies the current for the local control feature. This is different from cutting the signal that enables local control. This information is available someplace on a web site, but make sure that you get the right information.

Try

formatting link

Reply to
Ian Shef

I was going to give the other folks a bit of a ribbing for not giving _the_ site for such information but when I went there it wasn't there any longer. So I did a quick search and found his new site:

formatting link
Ido stored the information on cutting the diode in the lamp and/or appliance module. BTW, if you're using the Smarthome *linc modules you won't need to do that as they use a lot less current to do their current sensing.

I'm going to update my web pages with the information.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Reply to
AZ Woody

Use a Socket Rocket instead...no light from LED strings

Reply to
D&SW

Wallplug to socket rocket to plug for the xmas lights?

Done some more testing.. A had an Appliance Link, configed to not allow local control, and a B&D firewire module... both reacted like the X10 modules - the LEDS never go out (get dim, but that's all).

I thinking now of using a 110v relay, controlled by an appliance module.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Yup, you need two adapters. Prongs to female light socket and male light bulb base to outlet. Looks ugly but they work fine for Christmas LED strings. I have cheap "after Christmas" sale clear LEDS under kitchen cabinets and a coffee table as accent lighting. Socket Rockets work well, the only problem is hiding them. Besides having no local control sensing current, they have no DIM capabilities, so work well with CFL bulbs also.

Reply to
D&SW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.