Modules switch on every second

I'm a newcomer to X10 (although I used to play around with Radio Shack Plug-N-Power units many years ago, which I understand are the same thing). I recently Bought a kit consisting of the HR12A Palmpad, TM751 Transceiver and the LM465 lamp module. Now for my problem.

I plugged a lamp into the TM751, and it worked fine. But at the other end of the same room, (next to our TV) I plugged another lamp into the LM465, and it started blinking once every second or so. I had an old Radio Shack appliance module laying around - and did the same thing. Both units respond to an "on" command. But when you turn them off, they revert to the blinking behavior.

I suspect the problem may be linked to our Dish Network satellite dish. The box on top of the TV is connected via a phone line to a box that's plugged into an AC outlet. At the other end of the room, a similar box, also plugged into an AC outlet, is connected to the phone line. I'm guessing that the Dish Network set-top box uses something like X10 signals to talk to the box that's connected to our phone line.

Is there some kind of filter I can use to keep the two separate?

Reply to
geo
Loading thread data ...

Before looking for a filter, verify the spurious activity comes from the phone line boxes. Unplug both boxes and see if the problem disappears. Those boxes use the powerline to send signals between the boxes, so it is possible your X10 devices may be affected.

The only solution to the problem may be running a separate phone line to the satellite receiver and eliminate use of the phone line extenders.

One way to troubleshoot X10 problems is to unplug devices which are suspected of causing interference.

Reply to
Jack Ak

I don't believe that it is related to the satellite dish system (this kind of transmission is modulated on a dedicate carrier frequency which should not interfere with basic zero crossing X10 protocol).

It seems to be more in relation with "local control strange behaviour". did you tried different kind of lamp (filament bulb, halogen, low voltage halogen, fluorescen bulb) ?

If filament bulb fixes the problem, you can apply "disabling local control" procedure explained on the

formatting link
site to solve it.

Hope it help

Reply to
Thierry Parent

Thierry Parent asked:

Last night I opened up the lamp, which I thought had an ordinary incandescent bulb in it. Lo-and-behold, there was a flourescent, (the kind with a twisted tube that fits in an ordinary light socket). Replaced it with an ordinary 100W bulb, and problem solved.

Thanks Thierry!

Reply to
geo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.