Tiny learning remote (or one with a large library!)

I am looking for a very small IR remote to control a TV (an el-cheapo Emprex) that my UR24A X-10 8-in-1 remote can operate via Memorex code 022. A while back I saw something about a company that was selling them, but somehow, Google isn't my friend tonight. I want something small enough to velcro to PC keyboard - about the size of an X-10 credit card controller. Although the UR24A does control it, it's pretty damn huge. Something a little smaller would be nice.

As I return to Google to try again, what I remember most was that people were using these to shut off or change channels in bars.

I tried to see if the much smaller (but still not really small enough) UR41 "Beer Buddy" would operate the TV, but no joy. It would be nice if those "push power 1,000 times to find the proper code" remotes had some way of setting up automatically, perhaps using a photocell to tell when a code had actually turned off the TV and locking in the code that did it. The latest X-10 "Icon" remote does a pretty good job of setting up devices without having to key in code numbers, but it's even BIGGER than the UR24, so it's no help here.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...
4 bucks delivered. Ebay is your friend tonight!
formatting link
or
formatting link
Robert Green wrote:> I am looking for a very small IR remote to control a TV (an el-cheapo> Emprex) that my UR24A X-10 8-in-1 remote can operate via Memorex code> 022. A while back I saw something about a company that was selling> them, but somehow, Google isn't my friend tonight. I want something> small enough to velcro to PC keyboard - about the size of an X-10> credit card controller. Although the UR24A does control it, it's> pretty damn huge. Something a little smaller would be nice.>> As I return to Google to try again, what I remember most was that> people were using these to shut off or change channels in bars.>> I tried to see if the much smaller (but still not really small> enough) UR41 "Beer Buddy" would operate the TV, but no joy. It would> be nice if those "push power 1,000 times to find the proper code"> remotes had some way of setting up automatically, perhaps using a>

photocell to tell when a code had actually turned off the TV and> locking in the code that did it. The latest X-10 "Icon" remote does> a pretty good job of setting up devices without having to key in code> numbers, but it's even BIGGER than the UR24, so it's no help here.

Reply to
BruceR

Great! Thanks, Bruce. This will be my first order from Hong Kong through Ebay.

-- Bobby G.

formatting link
or
formatting link
Green wrote:> I am looking for a very small IR remote to control a TV (an el-cheapo> Emprex) that my UR24A X-10 8-in-1 remote can operate via Memorex code> 022. A while back I saw something about a company that was selling> them, but somehow, Google isn't my friend tonight. I want something> small enough to velcro to PC keyboard - about the size of an X-10> credit card controller. Although the UR24A does control it, it's>

pretty damn huge. Something a little smaller would be nice.>> As I return to Google to try again, what I remember most was that> people were using these to shut off or change channels in bars.>> I tried to see if the much smaller (but still not really small> enough) UR41 "Beer Buddy" would operate the TV, but no joy. It would> be nice if those "push power 1,000 times to find the proper code"> remotes had some way of setting up automatically, perhaps using a> photocell to tell when a code had actually turned off the TV and> locking in the code that did it. The latest X-10 "Icon" remote does> a pretty good job of setting up devices without having to key in code>

numbers, but it's even BIGGER than the UR24, so it's no help here.

>
Reply to
Robert Green

I've ordered many things on ebay that come from HK and have never had a problem. Allow 2 weeks for delivery but it could arrive in as little as

4 days.

Robert Green wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

That's good to know. The HK vendors I've checked out do a lot of business with fairly good feedback so for $4, I'm not worried. I just hope it's got the required codes in its codebase. HK mail sounds like the mail to Oz. I've sent mail to Melbourne that gets there in just a few days but the longest was 6 weeks. Thanks again for finding it for me!

-- Bobby G.

formatting link
>

QitemZ300214221665QQihZ020QQcategoryZ61323QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewI

Reply to
Robert Green

Reply to
BruceR

BTW, the remote arrived Friday, and though it controls a lot of different TV's, it doesn't control mine. )-: The search method is nice, though. You just keep your finger on the button until the TV turns off and then let go quickly. Very quickly! I think I'll put it on my keychain for the next time I get my tires rotated and have to sit in the waiting room watching Jerry Springer or worse.

I started searching for a learning keychain remote and came across some IR learning wristwatches. Then I remembered in the junk drawer I had a Casio IR learning watch that I had retired because of the very soft plastic crystal. Took the straps off it, put some Velcro in the back and b now I can control the three functions I needed the most (input, ON/OFF and volume) from the end of the keyboard.

-- Bobby G.

formatting link
>>>

QitemZ300214221665QQihZ020QQcategoryZ61323QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewI

Reply to
Robert Green

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.