tiniest learning remote?

Hi all,

Anyone know of a tiny credit card sized IR remote that has learning capabilities? Or one that can be upgraded via something a JP1 interface?

I'd like to have one that had the usual power, volume and channel up/down buttons along with about 6 others. I don't need a full numeric pad but could make do if they were reprogrammable.

I've got some IR devices that aren't typically in most universal remote ROMs.

Suggestions?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

I don't know of any, but perhaps you could use a "middleman" that does translation? In other words, if you have an IR distribution system you could have an Ocelot or a PC react to the credit-card remote and then send out substitute learned commands.

For example, if you have a PC you could use for the translation, the Creative Labs credit card remote + receiver is less than $20:

formatting link
If you have an ocelot, you could use pretty much any credit card remote. Here's one example:
formatting link

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Ah yes, I had forgotten about those. Not quite a credit card, but is probably the smallest learnable I've seen. RemoteCentral.com gave it a good review.

I saw the innotech remotes, but didn't mention them because they're designed for OEM use (the IR codes are fixed at the factory, and you buy them in quantity along with custom silk screening).

Reply to
Mark Thomas

No, I cannot use a middleman sort of device. I already have a central PC running girder listening to a usb-uirt. It already handles receiving certain IR codes and retransmitting different ones. The devices that need controlling, however, are in-room. So unless I install a whole other IR *sending* network back into each room there's no way to use a middleman setup. And even then there'd be a real adventure of avoiding a feedback loop of picked up IR, retransmitted codes, and picking it back up again. Not to mention the pain in the ass of installing an entirely parallel IR network in addition to the existing controls.

I've learned, however, that the Weemote DV is apparently competely 'learnable'. I may pick one up to test.

Innotech makes a credit-card device but I've no idea how programmable it is:

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Heh, try minimum of THIRTY THOUSAND units. Just a few more than I had in mind...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Request an engineering sample :-)

-mhd

Reply to
-mhd

you might, however, have to hunt to find the device you are controling. ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

At least, you'd never have to hunt far to find one. ;)

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.