sensor controller

Hi everyone

I am in the middle of designing my smart home and I am looking for a controller that will control all the sensors and will able me to receive an input to the computer.

Regards, Nadav

Reply to
Nadavc1
Loading thread data ...

What "sensors"?

What kinds of "inputs"?

What kind of "computer" and operating system?

What are your objectives (security, lighting, environmental control including HVAC, communication, AV entertainment, etc)

What are your skills (general remodeling, general computer, electronics including construction, programming)

Who will install it?

Who will maintain it?

Who (else) needs to be able to use/live in it?

Are the associated expenses regarded as personal entertainment("home toys") or is this also in the nature of an investment in your home ? In other words, do the "smart" aspects need to be valuable to others and in the future?

Is this a conceptual "Smart Home" ?

Or one with 'real-world' physical and financial limitations?

If 'real world', describe those limitations (budget, existing or new construction, type of construction and geometry, country located) and so on.

If you are "in the middle of designing [your] smart home", you will have presumably thought these things out, especially the budget.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Nadav,

There are many from which to choose. HAI makes the Omni series. It's well-established and is good compatible with a range of household subsystems.

ELK Products makes an M1 Gold which is also excellent. In addition to standard on/off (i.e., binary) sensing, the M1G does analog. It's "zones" (input loops) can be configured to read a 0-10 VDC signal, giving you enough info to compare temperatures, light levels, etc. It's an interesting machine and certainly worth a look.

Both of these systems are popular among DIYers as well as professional installers. I'll be installing the M1G in my home as soon as my health improves (going through some stuff at the moment).

Among the sensors you might want to integrate with either of these are:

- Security (motion detection, door and window contacts, glass break sensors)

- Fire alarm (smoke detectors, heat sensors, carbon monoxide and combustion gas detectors, etc)

- Environmental (inside and outdoor temperature, pool, spa and solar collector temps, humidity, wind, rain, etc)

- Lighting

The HAI system is detailed at

formatting link
ELK is at
formatting link
I sell the ELK system online so I'm not entirely unbiased.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bass forgot to give you the most IMPORTANT link of all:

formatting link
"The Bureau processed a total of 24 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. "

Reply to
G. Morgan

...and how many of those were filed by you and your merry band of idiots?

Reply to
BruceR

None. I would have to a customer of the s*****ad to file a complaint, wouldn't I?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes and these idiots seem to have nothing better to do that stalk Bass. Fortunately people who can actually help answer questions outnumber them.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

If you think his advice was anything other than an attempt at selling something you're seriously misguided.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It is good business to be involved in the customer forums. Check any other group for this industry or any other (consumer electronics, automotive performance parts, cooking, whatever) and you'll find the smart vendors are involved.

I just bought an upgraded Tivo. Made some posts to a few different forums, got responses from a number of places. The most articulate DIY instructions came from a vendor. I chose to just buy from him instead, because I appreciated his help and because I learned that I didn't have time to do it myself.

Being a valuable contributor to a forum and having a financial dog in the industry are not mutually exclusive. Robert's helped me personally understand infrared distribution, and I've never bought a thing from him. That said, his helpful posts far outweight the blathering coming from others; If I found the product I need at a good price on his website, I won't hesitate to buy from him, because I find him to be a positive contributor. The fact that involvement on these boards is good for his business doesn't bother me in the least.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Bruce. Please contact your local BBB and get the "heads up" on the complaint process. I think you'll find that there are many "checks and balances" involved that won't allow what you're suggesting to happen. The fact that Robert continues to encourage such mis-information (by agreeing with the individual that had previously posted a similar sentiment) doesn't say much for his honesty (or integrity). And I don't care what you might think about his "helpful participation" here, 24 BBB complaints in three years is unacceptable for any business.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I noticed that he did disclaim that and that he also pointed out an competitive product.

His post was useful to the person whether or not they would buy from him.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

"G. Morgan" wrote ... his usual drivel

"Frank Ols> Yes and these idiots seem to have nothing better to do that stalk Bass.

For the newbies to the group. . .

Graham, Frank and a couple other names that show up regularly are "professional" installers have a running vendetta against Robert because he has pointed out how people can do things for themselves and get around professionals who locked themselves out of their own systems in another news group.

Don't expect any useful information to come from them.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

The point is you and your ilk are nothing better than stalkers, with little else to do with your lives than take jabs at Bass. Meanwhile he, and others in the newsgroups, actually help answer people's questions. That Bob sells stuff, and apparently has done so profitably for quite a while, doesn't make much difference. He's helpful in the newsgroup, you and your kind aren't.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"B Fuhrmann" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

I myself is a professional installer and helped many poster that had trouble with there alarm system,I did it at first directly on the newsgroup,but after I noticed that he was using those post on website with out telling he found the info from someone else and noticed that he was giving false answer so he could sell stuff to a few DIY,I decided to stop posting any onto online and I post directly to that OP so that he wont use what I give to those DIY,in the mean time would should read a bit more of the ASA newsgroup archive....

your understanding of the man would prevent such post you just did....be careful with the bAss...he maybe have a fish name but usually he is the one using the lure....

Reply to
Petem

Check.

Check.

Check.

Good - on both accounts.

The fact that he participates on these boards is not the issue Lee. The issue comes down to several factors, a shoddy BBB record is just one great reason not to buy from him.

Over on the alarm forum there are customers of his posting in public for bAss to answer his phone or email. These are generally customers that have not received their orders, got the wrong parts, or were double billed. Is it just a coincidence that only the pissed off customers must resort to coming into a forum for alarm professionals to seek Mr. Bass? He ignores his customers, plain and simple. If he ran his business like he should there would NEVER be a customer trying to communicate with him about orders in a public forum.

Besides being a pathetic businessman he is a nasty person. He's responsible for killing an innocent woman due to irresponsibility. He's an ex-felon, he pulled a gun on a family member. He called my place of business and lied to my boss in an attempt to get me fired over a Usenet dispute. He stole someone's copyrighted work right here in this newsgroup. He has stolen information from Usenet and claimed it as his own (re-transmitting it and putting his copyright on it). He has been caught lying more times than I can count. He's a despicable man that deserves all the pain and agony he's going through right now.

If someone wants to take a chance with their credit card, go right ahead and order from the con-man. Don't say you weren't warned when you get burned though.

Reply to
G. Morgan

He is crafty, I'll give you that.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Bill, me and "my ilk" *have* taken time to answer questions in this NG. I monitor the group for security related stuff and some HA stuff that interests me.

I don't understand why you and "your ilk" have such a hard time seeing past the Bass bullshit. He's a con-man, and my job is to warn unsuspecting readers before they get taken in by him.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Excuse me?? First and foremost let's set something straight here. I have no problem with showing "people how do things for themselves" and have even pointed individuals with "locked out" systems to three companies that offer "unlocking" services. The "running vendetta against Robert" has absolutely nothing to do with anything you've mentioned but more to do with his unproven comments about me. He doesn't know who I am or where I work (and I'm perfectly comfortable maintaining my anonymity from jerks like that). The way I see it he's no different from Groupie Muderator (just a whole lot more subtle).

For the "newbies to the Group. . .

Mr. Fuhrmann has obviously not been paying attention. "Mr. Olson" has (on several occasions) provided helpful information. Mr. Bass OTOH has posted numerous items of mis-information (the smoke alarm threads were "doozies").

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've never locked myself out of my own systems, you dolt! My dislike for bAss has nothing to do with "information" he posts to DIY'ers either. Try to pay more attention.

Great advice. Instead you should rely on information about bass' business from the Better Business Bureau.

Reply to
G. Morgan

As someone who's gotten scammed to the tune of $4,800 on a purchase, I find that I have no disagreement with this. I appreciate the detailed response, Grahame. It's a nice change from the usual clatter.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.