self calibrating clock via wifi?

I have some atomic clocks that are not working because apparently the clock signal is too weak at my apartment.

Since I have a wifi router in my apartment, I wonder if there is any clock that calibrates itself via internet and is wifi enabled?

I can use a PC or a tablet computer to do this, but I'm looking for something cheaper (under $50).

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

The Best Buy chumby is sometimes on sale for ~$50. It uses ntp to set the time (and can do much more).

marcus hall snipped-for-privacy@tuells.org

Reply to
marcus hall

You might be able to add a better antenna and preamp to your existing radio clocks. Do you know what frequency they use? Preamps are available with ~20DB gain from DC to 1GHz and can be cascaded to give even more gain.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Typical "atomic" clocks receive WWVB at 60 KHz, so noise is the primary issue. Adding a preamp would just amplify the noise right along with the signal. Florescent lighting, switching power supplies, and, ironically, noisy wifi routers are common causes of the interference. An external antenna might help, but there is not usually anywhere to connect it on the clock.

Reply to
greenpjs

Turn the darn thing onto a wall at 90 degrees?

Run a wire from outside to the backside of the clock or other side of the wall? Just bring in a stronger signal to the clock with osme wire or aluminum tape painted. Try a thin piece of wire along the wall and under the clock...pull it tight so it cannot be seen without staring or run some aluminum duct tape on the wall and pint it to match wall colour.

Take it outside and see if the signal is strong enough in the area, at all, first.

-----------

I have some atomic clocks that are not working because apparently the clock signal is too weak at my apartment.

Since I have a wifi router in my apartment, I wonder if there is any clock that calibrates itself via internet and is wifi enabled?

I can use a PC or a tablet computer to do this, but I'm looking for something cheaper (under $50).

Reply to
Josepi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.