RF Modulator and Cable Modem

Hi I am wanting to wire a cam via RF modulator (Channel Vision CVT1) at home. Does anyone know if a notch filter is going to impact my Modem? Goal -

1 cam 1 channel to 3 TV's.
Reply to
JTrusner
Loading thread data ...

The CM downstream probably uses one of the highest channels, and the upstream is below channel 2 by a bit. If you pick a notch somewhere between channel 6 and channel 30 or so, probably not a problem.

Here's the best setup: There should be a splitter in the incoming cable, with one side feeding your TV and the other, the CM. Do not tamper with the cable coming from the street into that splitter. Add your notch filter to the side that feeds the TV, and there's not much chance at all of a problem.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Thanks for the quick response. My CM is using 573Mhz(downstream channel 82) and 32Mhz (upstream - below channel 2). The line from the street feeds into a 4-way splitter of which 1 line goes to the CM. Where would the notch go in this configuration?

Reply to
JTrusner

One idea: replace that 4-way splitter w/ a 2-way splitter. Use one branch for the CM, and send the other branch into the notch and then split that resulting signal w/ the 4-way splitter -- those go to the TVs. That is basically the setup I use and it works well.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

In any splitter output *except* the one that feeds the CM.

The possible problem is that the notch filter may not have extended low frequency response, and so may not be able to pass the CM upstream signal. For "pure" TV service, there's no need for splitters etc. to have response below channel 2, and many, especially older ones, do not.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

That'll work *provided* the cable signals at your house are considerably above the minimum level. A four-way splitter already eats up a lot of signal, and a four behind a two may have problems.

You can try it, and if it works, fine, but be aware that lots of things can affect the level of the signal coming down the street, so on a very hot (or cold) day, or at any other random time, things might go wonky. Analog signals may just get a bit noisy, but if a digital carrier drops below threshold, nada.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

I can confirm that the 4 behind a 2 does not work. I tried this before and my CM would not work. I guess my solution is going to be an amplified system. I have 2 primary concerns. 1) The cam signal stays in the house 2) CM keeps working. Any recommendations on products or configuration.

Reply to
JTrusner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.