rf modulator, what about transmitter?

What's available for actually transmitting an RF channel 3 signal, say, about 10 feet?

As in, push a signal from belowdecks on a boat up to a portable television. That is, to a TV that's got nothing other than it's regular RF tuner. No video, s-video or even a female F-connectors. It doesn't have to be specifically channel 3 of course, but any other channel that a regular TV might be able to pick up.

Anybody make such a thing as a ready-made product? (not a kit)

They make such things for FM, what about TV?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

Lots of information on google...

Most of the transmitters seem to be kits until you get up to professional grade units (probably some FCC regulations).

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
etc.

television.

Reply to
none

ebay my friend! For 35 bucks you're in business sending to UHF frequencies (Chnl 14-51). All TV's since the 60's have UHF tuners so you should be good to go.

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

How's the picture quality? Decent enough to compare to a regular channel 3 RF output from a source device?

If so that looks like just the ticket.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

None of those units will do what the OP requested which is to BROADCAST the signal. The modulators listed will all do a fine job over a hardwired connection but do not send the signal via wirelesss. The unit I referred to on ebay is indeed a transmitter as requested.

"B Fuhrmann" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com... You should be able to find them locally in most cities. Look at Radio Shack, Best Buy, or other stores that carry AV equipment.

formatting link
$30 ready made, outputs on channel 3.

/

formatting link
$3 would need some hacking to change plug and add power.

formatting link
$20

formatting link
$24

formatting link
$20 - looks like it might have a DC power input

10 feet should be nothing for this type of device and the image quality is probably better than the camera (assuming a low cost camera instead of a camcorder quality one).

A big question is power source. Ones designed for home use will typically be 120VAC. FM modulators for cars (run on 12 VDC) are very common but the Car AV people assume that people will have video displays with direct video input.

You can probably convert any of the 120 volt units to DC by going inside and finding the AC to DC conversion in it. The game converter will be running on DC from the game console that is in the plug with the video. You would need to discover the voltage and wire connections.

If you can find a home oriented unit with a wall transformer, you have an easier job since it is probably marked for voltage needed and the connection is obvious.

Bill Fuhrmann

Reply to
BruceR

I've never tried that unit but years ago I used similar units that gave a very clear picture so I'd expect this would do the job. The guy has good feedback with lots of people saying it's good and he has a pretty good return policy if you don't like it. Let us know how it works if you get one.

Reply to
BruceR

"BruceR" wrote

You may have to show me where he says "BROADCAST" or wireless.

He says transmit, which is also applicable to sending a signal over wires. He then said

He also specified that there is no F connector on the TV.

I have never seen a TV that has no antenna or any way to connect one. That would make it pretty useless. Even if it just has a broken single extendable antenna, he could connect the wire to it to get the signal in. It would not be a proper impedence match but would most likely be more than good enough.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

I took it to mean broadcast over the air because he refers to the following: - the term "actually transmitting"; In concert with the info below, I took that term to mean "over the air." - at least a 10 ft range; range wouldn't be an issue with a wired solution (at least not the lengths we'd be talking about on a boat). - the term "pick up" a signal; implies (again, to me) a wireless signal. - no inputs other than, presumably, an antenna; leads me to conclude wireless rather than a piece of coax wrapped around a rabbit ear. -refers to "similar things for FM"; small FM wireless transmitters are very common (moreso than wired FM modulators) and I concluded he was referring to those. Of course, all of this is based on MY conclusions and perhaps Bill will clarify further. In any case, I think he now has a comprehensive collection of options from which to choose.

formatting link
> $20

formatting link
> $20 - looks like it might have a DC power input

Reply to
BruceR

Reading the OP's post I also took it to mean he wanted an over-the-air transmission.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Um, I'm not looking for a modulator. I'm looking for a TRANSMITTER. As in, no wires.

It's a boat (a 37' express cruiser) so stringing wires along the deck is unsafe not to mention unsightly. Running it behind the bulkheads often redefines pain in the ass. Portable TVs don't often have too many external inputs. And even if they did the marine environment is rather harsh on connectors. Thus just pumping out an RF signal as a TV channel is the most reasonable solution.

Sorry you spent so much time digging up links for entirely inappropriate devices, but thanks anyway!

Bruce: I bought one of those ebay jobbies, thanks for the link! I'll report back on it's quality.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I'll look forward to hearing about how it works.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.